PDA

View Full Version : Climbing Frame

zanacal
15-04-2014, 03:10 PM
We have this climbing frame:

https://www.adventuretoys.co.uk/prodpage.asp?ProdID=1761

We bought it to replace our old one which I felt was dangerous for my youngest child who is nearly 2 (my own, I'm not minding yet!) and this is great because I supervise her while she climbs up and then she can't fall off the sides before she comes down the slide but my big boys still enjoy using it. However, the manufacturer's recommended age is 3+. I will be minding her little friend who is exactly the same age as her and he also enjoys using the climbing frame when he comes to play - again with supervision. Will I have to stop him when I'm minding him?! I have no idea how I would do that. My poor boys are already losing their trampoline for these reasons!

Thanks for any advice x

Kiddleywinks
15-04-2014, 04:40 PM
The problem is, should there be an accident/incident, your insurance won't cover you if the equipment was being used by children younger than the manufacturers recommendations
If you were sued as a result, it could be a very expensive error of judgement, so is it worth the risk?

zanacal
15-04-2014, 05:15 PM
It's going to be really tricky as it's her favourite thing to play on in the garden. There's no way I could afford to section off that area of the garden even if I wanted to - which I don't, I've spent enough money at this point as it is and it would ruin the garden! I'd also let her go on the slide at the park (supervised) - what do you do about that?

Looking around the room now I suspect many of the toys she plays with are officially for older children because manufacturers are usually cautious with this. Do childminders stick rigidly to these guidelines or use common sense and supervise where necessary?

Thanks for your help x

amyp
15-04-2014, 05:23 PM
My coordinator in the council said if it says "recommends" then it's at the parents own risk and if they sign a permission form then it's ok. If it says "not suitable" then it's a no go.