PDA

View Full Version : Baby led weaning

jackie 7
15-04-2014, 08:21 AM
I have a new lo who is baby led. I have asked mum for a list of what she eats and will have to push for this. She is just settling in at moment. What I am struggling with is how big the pieces of food should be. I don't thjnk as is usual these children ever learn to not be held. My old screamer who used others to pull himself up, grab their toys etc is cross with her.

tess1981
15-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Ask mum to send a dinner in that she feeds the child just so you get am idea now lumpy food is...

appletart88
15-04-2014, 10:29 AM
I did baby led weaning with both of my LO's it's so much easier IMO, I'd get some tips from mum but normally they are offered the same as everyone else- no purée, food can be cut into strips so it's easier to grip. Really there is no difference from what you would feed say a 3 year old.

CC24
15-04-2014, 01:31 PM
Baby led weaning is so easy, the baby gets the same food as everyone else so you can all enjoy food at the same time. You can serve the food in big enough bits so they can hold them. My son and niece were baby led weaned at same time and both are nearly 4 now and great eaters. There is a fantastic book and cookbook about baby led weaning by gill rapley, explains the theory and how to do it.

Becci26
15-04-2014, 01:50 PM
I'm also baby led weaning my lo, and have followed parents lead with this in the past too, it is great! Loads easier than purée and lumps, essentially I just give ds the same things we have, cut foods into baton type sizes so he can easily hold. I just cut up whatever so for example roast dinner on Sunday I cut a roastie into 3, some chunks of chicken, vegetables etc, I just put a small amount (so it doesn't all go straight on the floor!) if each on the tray and let him help himself. He's 8 months and will happily munch his way through a square of a sandwich!

Def get a long sleeve bib if you haven't already and a mat for the floor, it can be away business, especially when you have spag Bol!

Becci26
15-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Gosh sorry, damn autocorrect on phone! Meant to say can be a messy business!

jadavi
15-04-2014, 06:17 PM
What age do you start with this?

Becci26
15-04-2014, 06:30 PM
6 months usually x

wee_elf
15-04-2014, 08:56 PM
I was advised to cut the pieces of food to the size of your index finger x