PDA

View Full Version : outdoor learning

Mrsh3103
14-04-2014, 07:06 PM
I have just been offered the use of a small plot of land and a room in a converted barn to use for the kids.

I am over the moon about this :) it's going to be roughly 6 weeks before I can get started as there is still building work going on. There is also a toilet I will have access to so we can spend all day there :)

I was chatting to a family friend about how I'm worried the younger generation have no idea where our food comes from and the work that goes into growing it. I've had a few conversations with mindees about where food comes from that has completely shocked me! Tonight she popped round and offered me the use of the plot of land. And I can use the room for whatever I want.

Anyway...... apart from a veg patch what else could I do? I don't want to put any play equipment there as i have plenty of that in my garden.
I know all of you will have some amazing ideas!

moggy
14-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Wildlife pond. I have an old wrought iron gate laid over the top of ours for safety. There are tadpoles at the moment- fantastic.

cupcakencookie
14-04-2014, 08:03 PM
chickens or a recycled materials den?

clareelizabeth1
14-04-2014, 08:21 PM
A fire pit to cook sausages on. (My mindies love this. They get even more excited if it is one of our own pigs we are cooking)
Den building materials
Natural crafts but add string, glue and basics
Books
Some form of water a pond if possible

miffy
14-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Wild flower patch
Willow den
Bug hotels
Bird boxes
Mud kitchen

Miffy xx

karen2010
15-04-2014, 05:36 AM
I don't have any extra ideas but just wanted to say aren't you a lovely Childminder ! To go to all that extra trouble for your mindees xx

Mrsh3103
15-04-2014, 06:35 AM
Oooo chickens :) might see if I can get my hands on an incubator and some eggs!

Thank you for all your ideas :) I can't wait to get started!

It's a 15min drive from my house so I plan on going over at least once a week :)

leahsfx
15-04-2014, 07:31 AM
I have just been offered the use of a small plot of land and a room in a converted barn to use for the kids. I am over the moon about this :) it's going to be roughly 6 weeks before I can get started as there is still building work going on. There is also a toilet I will have access to so we can spend all day there :) I was chatting to a family friend about how I'm worried the younger generation have no idea where our food comes from and the work that goes into growing it. I've had a few conversations with mindees about where food comes from that has completely shocked me! Tonight she popped round and offered me the use of the plot of land. And I can use the room for whatever I want. Anyway...... apart from a veg patch what else could I do? I don't want to put any play equipment there as i have plenty of that in my garden. I know all of you will have some amazing ideas!

I love hearing things like this.. Kids should know where food comes from and how it grows (below or over ground) it's funny when you hear kids say milk comes from a supermarket! (Cringe)

Love the ideas of chickens.. Getting fresh eggs!!
How about a bee hive to grow honey?! ... No idea how easy/dangerous that would be though!?

Was this from a friend or did you apply somewhere?.. Would love something like this myself as I don't have a garden :)