PDA

View Full Version : Own children

leahsfx
14-04-2014, 06:50 PM
Hi :) I'm in the process of registering and was just wondering if I need a policy in place or a general letter to parents asking for permission to take mindees to events my children have (doctors, parents evening, etc) or if the mindees should never come with and therefore I need to book these things around work?

It sprung to mind earlier when my daughter had her jabs what would I do if I had mindees!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Rick
14-04-2014, 07:16 PM
You would need to assess each situation individually eg how many mindees do you have, what is the appointment for etc. You might take them for a quick doctors appointment where you can be in full control of them but not a pregnancy scan!

I would inform the parents of my intentions out of courtesy, getting them to sign something would reinforce that if an issue ever arose..

caz3007
14-04-2014, 07:56 PM
I have taken mindies to the docs, I have had blood tests done too with one in tow. Booked so only had one and my hubby came too and mindie sat on his lap in the room. Over the years different children have been to our school end of term performances, and sports day, its part of family life and parents are fine with them coming.

Kerry30
14-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Ive taken mindees to doctors appointments in the past. I did judge it on which mindees I had. Certain appointments I wouldnt take mindees such as a smear, and it depends on what u want to discuss, (little ears and all!!.) My mindees come to my dentist check up with me. One parent even said it might help as x was abit wary of the dentist.

caz3007
14-04-2014, 09:00 PM
Ive taken mindees to doctors appointments in the past. I did judge it on which mindees I had. Certain appointments I wouldnt take mindees such as a smear, and it depends on what u want to discuss, (little ears and all!!.) My mindees come to my dentist check up with me. One parent even said it might help as x was abit wary of the dentist.

It wouldn't help my Mindies coming to the dentist with me...lol

AliceK
14-04-2014, 09:56 PM

Same here. When I make the appt I judge which mindees I have, some I know I can't trust, others I know will be as good as gold. I tell parents what I've got to do and that their child is welcome to attend, parents are always okay.
Xxxx

leahsfx
14-04-2014, 10:52 PM
That's great!! Thanks everyone :) obviously appointments or events are known in advance so would a general letter given to parent to sign consent be ok? And if they said no..(not sure why they would) Would you miss your own child's events or say you can't have child then?
Will defo work it around certain mindees or none if I can! x

littlemiss60561
14-04-2014, 10:58 PM
please dont miss your childs events. if parent says no to these then id say i cant work . bet they would soon say yes!

karen2010
15-04-2014, 05:25 AM
I take my mindees to all my Daughters school events - fairs,plays etc and they love them!
I always tell my Parents in the morning that is one of the activities we will be doing that day my Parents love that I take them.
You are providing home based childcare and involving the children in your family life - that's why Parents choose you over a Nursery, in my opinion.
Obviously there are limits - I can just imagine the scenario re a smear - come pick up time - "ooh Daddy guess what I saw today ?!" - cringe !!
Xxxx

leahsfx
15-04-2014, 07:19 AM
I take my mindees to all my Daughters school events - fairs,plays etc and they love them! I always tell my Parents in the morning that is one of the activities we will be doing that day my Parents love that I take them. You are providing home based childcare and involving the children in your family life - that's why Parents choose you over a Nursery, in my opinion. Obviously there are limits - I can just imagine the scenario re a smear - come pick up time - "ooh Daddy guess what I saw today ?!" - cringe !! Xxxx

Haha!! That did make me chuckle!
Thanks for the reassurance x

leahsfx
15-04-2014, 07:19 AM
please dont miss your childs events. if parent says no to these then id say i cant work . bet they would soon say yes!

Thanks! Your right :) just needed to hear it x

karen2010
15-04-2014, 10:11 PM
It's hard when your starting out to imagine life with mindees but once you have them fitting them into your family life is easy x It's all the paperwork that's a killer !!! Xxx

ja-lula-belli
16-04-2014, 02:41 AM
I have taken a mindee to an appointment but informed parent before hand. I try my best to schedule things around work. So I would never take mindee to let's say dentist etc but I did for one of my sons jabs. X

tess1981
16-04-2014, 11:52 AM

Excellent advice

Maza
16-04-2014, 07:37 PM
Do not miss your own child's events. I always book a day off for the Nativity Play as I want to just be a regular mum on that day and not have to worry about mindees crying or not sitting still. Also, some schools don't allow little ones at assemblies and other performances so do check their policy! One of my mindees has been to the doctors with us a few times - twice this week! He loves it because they have so many toys there and then we always get the doctors kit out when we get home.

SJ35
16-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I would and have taken my mindees to Drs and dentists appts.
I tend to book off nativity plays and parents evenings / afternoons as I want to concentrate on my own little one.
X

wee_elf
16-04-2014, 08:46 PM
I would and have taken my mindees to Drs and dentists appts.
I tend to book off nativity plays and parents evenings / afternoons as I want to concentrate on my own little one.
X

This sounds like great advice :-)

AliceK
16-04-2014, 09:36 PM
I have taken mindees to the dentist with me for check ups and when I had a tooth out although they did sit in the waiting room with my oh on that occasion. It helps me because I am terrified of the dentist but if the children are in there with me I have to be brave :)
xxxx

loocyloo
16-04-2014, 11:19 PM
I have taken mindees to the dentist with me for check ups and when I had a tooth out although they did sit in the waiting room with my oh on that occasion. It helps me because I am terrified of the dentist but if the children are in there with me I have to be brave :)
xxxx

I always try to take mindees to the dentist with me for that very reason!!!

Years ago a 2yr old nanny charge fell and knocked a tooth back into his gum ( at least that's what we hoped! as nowhere to be seen! ) ... His (super dooper absolutely amazing can do wrong according to parents ) private dentist was away and no emergency/covering dentist details were available. So I took child to my dentist where he had been a couple of times with me plus the receptionist was someone he had seen often when out with me (friends mum!) ... He was fine and when his parents arrived they were so impressed at how calm and relaxed child was with dentist ... They ended up moving to my (nhs) dentist! ... tooth was in gum and when it re appeared it was fine!
Anyway ... I digress! The dentist himself said it was because child was used to being at dentists etc that he wasn't upset about it!

Like someone else said ... I am a home from home setting so if needed we visit Dr , dentist , opticians, hospital clinics, car services and mot, tyre changing, my children's hair cuts, school events and anything else that crops up in our daily lives!

ja-lula-belli
17-04-2014, 06:01 AM
I never thought of it like that ! I suppose your right a home from home service does mean everyday life to go ahead. And by all the responses I can see that these things actually benefit the child too. I won't be so strict on myself to schedule things around minding from now on as you all know too well there is no time around it anyway! Lol such long days we work!

k1rstie
17-04-2014, 07:11 AM
Events at your kids school are great for mindees to attend, as in my opinion it helps the little ones get 'school readiness'

Mouse
17-04-2014, 08:25 AM
There have been times when I have taken mindees in for school plays etc and regretted it as they've been unsettled and I've had to take them out of the hall, missing my child in their play. At times like that I'd wished I'd taken the time off. I have to say though, the fact that I was there was enough for my own children and none of them have suffered any ill effects from seeing me disappear out of the hall! In their minds I was always there. It hasn't stuck in their minds that often I didn't actually see what they were doing!

As for Drs appointments etc, I judge it on the children I have on that day. I have taken mindees with me for hospital appointments and they love it as there's a fab play area, particularly at the children's hospital. I think they see it as a day out!

samb
17-04-2014, 03:26 PM
We have assemblies every other week at our school so I don't go to them all as it's too much for the minders especially as it's on the day I have a child who only attends once a week. I would decide on an individual basis for everything though. I feel this is my job so I sometimes have to not go to my children's events if it isn't convenient to my work and I can't take time off.

karen2010
17-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Yes but what a great job that we CAN do all these things and take our mindees with us !!!
Xxxx