PDA

View Full Version : Shyness

PeekABoos
14-04-2014, 02:03 PM
How did you over come it? I am worried my shyness will hold me back during meetings of parents etc.. I am fine once in the situation and I know them a bit but at first I can be really shy. Any tips? xx

amylouise867
14-04-2014, 02:25 PM
How did you over come it? I am worried my shyness will hold me back during meetings of parents etc.. I am fine once in the situation and I know them a bit but at first I can be really shy. Any tips? xx

I can be quite shy too although since I had my little one I have been less so.
I think it's just something that you have to overcome gradually.

As your confidence grows you will feel more comfortable in situations so will be less shy.

My only tip is to try not to over-think too much - overthinking will make you more paranoid and more shy just try to keep focused and go with the flow as best as you can.

Hugs :) xx

karen2010
14-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Ha ha I'm the opposite - talk far too much probably !
I wouldn't worry too much, you are in your own house so visiting Parents more on the back foot than you x
Deep breaths and smile loads !!
Failing that a big shot of vodka !! Xx

toddlers896
14-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Its ok to be shy, My problem is being too soft, its really hard to say no to parents. I had one turn up with a baby sick in front of me and i couldn't say no ime not having her. I just find it so hard, i want to make everybody happy.
Good luck you will be fine x

Maza
14-04-2014, 06:06 PM
I'm shy too and I find that having a set of questions/points to discuss helps me feel more comfortable. I actually have a list - which is good practise even if you are not shy - in front of me and we go over it in the meetings, this ensures that I don't miss out any important information. I also have a sheet with pictures (clip art) which I use to introduce house rules to parents. For example, a shoe with a big cross through it, someone sitting nicely on a sofa (as opposed to jumping on it) etc.

Sometimes I have some soft music in the background (not the romantic kind!) because silences can be uncomfortable with people you don't know. We all find new parent meetings cringey, so don't be too hard on yourself. x

cupcakencookie
14-04-2014, 07:27 PM
I'm also very shy and far too soft! I've been minding just over a year now and am definitely getting better than I was. I still feel the same inside but am able to hide it better than I used to! I was recently recommended a great book on this forum - it is called Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway and is by Susan Jeffers. I got mine off Amazon but they might have it in your local library. It really helped me alot!:thumbsup:

loocyloo
14-04-2014, 08:37 PM
I'm shy ... it still drives dh mad after 25 yrs! as I can't be the first through a door into a pub, restaurant or even sometimes a shop and I hate talking to people I don't know. I don't like talking on the phone unless it's someone I know very well.
I have just learnt over the years to put my 'childminder' hat on and get talking. 3 yrs ago we moved and knew nobody. It was agony but I had to make myself talk to people as a) I needed to make friends for me and b) I needed to get known as a childminder.
You can do it. Just take a deep breath, smile and if parents bring child to visit start by talking to the child. I find that helps. Good luck x

PeekABoos
14-04-2014, 08:43 PM
Wow thank you everyone. I am a lot better than I used to be but still find it hard sometimes. I want people to like me and I want to please everyone that is my problem. At least I know it hasn't held anyone back :) Thank you again! xxx