PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it funny...

Mouse
14-04-2014, 08:46 AM
...how some children (who parents tell you never watch television) can not only recite whole episodes of Peppa Pig, but every advert in between as well...

tess1981
14-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Must be watching it a lot at the childminders lol

Mouse
14-04-2014, 09:07 AM
Must be watching it a lot at the childminders lol

lol!!

Last week I had a child who was recovering from an op and had to take it easy. I resorted to putting Peppa Pig on for half an hour after lunch (as agreed with parents) so she would sit quietly for a while. Another mindee, who mum tells me never watches TV, didn't sit down to watch it, but while he was playing, was saying the whole episode. At pick up time I mentioned to mum that we'd had it on and that I was impressed with mindee's repetition of it all, including adverts. She said, oh, he may have watched it a couple of times at granny's :rolleyes:

Kaybeaa
14-04-2014, 09:09 AM
A parent the other day asked me if her darling DS ever watched tv here as apparently he told her he did. I explained I put it on during quiet time or if I'm tidying up between crafts and it's mainly educational programmes.She said "oh I don't mind him watching a few minutes as long as it's not all he does all day as I try to restrict it at home"

2 days later mindees older sister tells me that they both watch "loads of tv" at weekends whilst parent gets on with her jobs. Haha no wonder the mum didn't want tv on here. He clearly gets more than his fair share at weekends. Was really angry when I found out as mum had made me feel really bad!

kellib
14-04-2014, 09:14 AM
I have one mindee who talks in an American accent most of the time due to watching all these tv programmes and films, though to be fair to mum she hasn't once claimed he doesn't watch tv!

I had another mindee a while back, LO's mum asked before signing up if the tv was on at all so I explained it goes on for a short time after lunch. She was happy with that, just didn't want it on all day etc.

So mindee starts with me and I soon realise LO knows ALL the shows on cbeebies and has an absolute meltdown when tv turned off after 30 minutes!

smurfette
14-04-2014, 09:59 AM
I have one who can identify all the characters on a comic another one brought with her today, I don't know them all! To be fair his mum admits openly he spends a lot of time on iPad and he does have a thing for recognising logos so maybe he just remembers well.. Not convinced though!!

MAWI
14-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I think all parents tend to let us believe that they watch a lot less than they actually Do!

Always funny when the kids give it away!

AdeleMarie88
14-04-2014, 09:04 PM
I had one 5yr old mindee tell me that mom puts a film or cbeebies on for children to watch, and then goes upstairs and puts her headphones in and has a nap hahahaha

I don't blame the parents, just wish they would realise that they have no secrets from us so there is no point trying to hide it! X

Ripeberry
14-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Parents who say their kids don't watch TV remind me of tee total drinkers :rolleyes:

littlemiss60561
14-04-2014, 11:24 PM
my dd learnt 614 as soon as she could reach the tv button!! i cant see whats wrong in them watching it.obv not all day. my own have learnt loads!! pippin used to be great! its on here for calm down time or a cinema .
i had one parentbused to ask have they watched any? no?great..totally guilt free sofa and tv afternoon it is then lol

caz3007
15-04-2014, 06:04 AM
My son learnt lots from watching cbeebies and now at 11 watches nature and things like coast and has learnt lots. We seem to have watched lots of programmes lately that have featured Holy Island, so we have all learnt about St Cuthbert:laughing:

Allie
15-04-2014, 06:37 AM
I had one parent who said they never watch tv but turned out they watched dvd's all day at weekends! Obviously that didn't count!

Mouse
15-04-2014, 06:55 AM
I should add, I have no problem at all with children watching TV.

It just makes me laugh when parents say their child never watches it, when it's so obvious they do!

I have another mindee who genuinely doesn't watch much TV at home. He watches the occasional DVD, but even they're limited. His parents don't mind him watching it here and he's fascinated by it!

smurfette
15-04-2014, 07:33 AM
I should add, I have no problem at all with children watching TV. It just makes me laugh when parents say their child never watches it, when it's so obvious they do! I have another mindee who genuinely doesn't watch much TV at home. He watches the occasional DVD, but even they're limited. His parents don't mind him watching it here and he's fascinated by it!

Ditto ^^^^!!

JKL
15-04-2014, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE="Mouse;1356692" His parents don't mind him watching it here and he's fascinated by it![/QUOTE]

Sounds like my DS, people giggle and think its hilarious how he resembles a proper tele addict when at other peoples houses. He gets children's channels for an hour before breakfast at home.

Although if he hears the TopGear theme.... That's it you've lost him! Lol! He's 9 months btw!

:D :D :D

JKL
15-04-2014, 08:39 AM
Sounds like my DS, people giggle and think its hilarious how he resembles a proper tele addict when at other peoples houses. He gets children's channels for an hour before breakfast at home. Although if he hears the TopGear theme.... That's it you've lost him! Lol! He's 9 months btw! :D :D :D

smurfette
15-04-2014, 09:02 AM
My friends 6 month old loves Jeremy Kyle lol!

Maza
15-04-2014, 08:24 PM
I have a mindee who only likes 'home cooked, nutritious meals' and mum asked a lot about my menu and how and when I prepare this and that. After almost two years of (happily) preparing his meals I asked him what his mummy cooks for him - "sausages" was the reply. Made me chuckle.

wee_elf
15-04-2014, 08:47 PM
I had a parent at nursery who insisted that her child was only fed vegan/organic snacks and lunches, of course we complied even though it was a extra cost and hassle....only for in two weeks time her to bring the little one in chewing on a greggs sausage roll :eek: x

jackie 7
15-04-2014, 08:57 PM
I knew of a mum who had a nanny. Nanny said she never ever ever watched TV. Child sang theme tune of neighbours!!!

smurfette
15-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I had one who apparently only ate organic and never had had junk., Til we went into newsagent and she yelled 'chocolate'! lol!

lol to the neighbours tune!

karen2010
16-04-2014, 05:41 AM
Ha ha I love this thread !
I remember when I was pregnant daydreaming about how I would bring up my Daughter - no tv,no Mcdonalds,only organic food, only sweets or chocolate as a weekly treat etc etc.
Of course once she was here I stuck to all of it............not !!

KatieFS
16-04-2014, 06:27 AM
On a serious note - I have 2 yo mindee who speaks in sounds. Very much like his favourite tv show - in the night garden. I suspect he watches a fair bit. When he comes here, generally we don't watch tv - he is so physical running around playing even throwing toys.

tess1981
16-04-2014, 11:51 AM
I had a mum say not to give child the dummy as she had stopped it... met her twice in town and the child was sucking it for all her might mum took it out and track still on her mouth.
Or another one... my daughter not . to get sweets and chocolate or sugar etc... meet them in the supermarket one evening and her dd had chocolate all over her mouth she said ah she grabbed the chocolate santa out of trolley and opened it... mm mm she was too young to reach it lol