PDA

View Full Version : Single parent childminders

singlewiththree
24-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Are there are any other single parents who are doing the childminding course. I'm currently working 16hrs a week but struggling taking my children to 3 childcare providers (one being a childminder) so decided financially and stress wise I would be better off childminding. I have playwork qualifications and business admin. I just wondered whether it really is a suitable career for a single parent if you dont always have your spaces filled as only planning to work part time.

FizzysFriends
24-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I am a single parent and am going through registration at the moment. I will however only be doing before and after school and in the holidays so that I can keep my day job (10am - 3pm and from home in the evenings during the holidays). Im not brave enough to take the plunge full time as I know that my day job at the moment pays the mortgage and bills.

sarah707
24-07-2008, 01:09 PM
I am a single parent!

I find with top ups from tax credits I'm fine and I only work part -time... :D

SimplyLucy
24-07-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm a single parent of 4.

I work full time (55 hours a week when mindees are in my home) as a childminder.

I get top ups from working tax credits. I've been childminding for 11 months nearly and it all seems to be going well. Was the best option for me and my children when I needed to get a job.

FizzysFriends
24-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Have either have even been in a position where you had no mindees? I would be worried how the bills would be paid.

SimplyLucy
24-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Have either have even been in a position where you had no mindees? I would be worried how the bills would be paid.

No I haven't, would dread to think how I'd manage if that position occured. I try to be very carefull and have gradually put away enough money when I've had a good month to cover the mortgage for 2/3 months. This way if I was without work I could probably manage for a maximum of 12 weeks.

Planning ahead is the key.