PDA

View Full Version : learnt a new strategy :)

tess1981
13-04-2014, 11:42 AM
Have been minding a 2 yo and a 5 yo for 5 weeks while their granny who normally minds them was away on holiday. Friday was my last full week with them and a well ago asked if I could keep them on 2 days a week to allow granny to have free time. I agreed to this as a little extra money and the 2 yo can be very difficult and draining and the hours are longer than I really want to work anyway but I thought 2 days of. Told mum it would have to fit in with my other part timers so I could have a day free a week and she agreed. Anyway she came to pick up on Friday and hit me with a bomb shell.... did I want them 5 days a weeks. She said they love it at mine and granny can concentrate on another area of interest.
So I replied... oh sorry I was really not expecting that can I think about it and contact you over the weekend as I had another enquiry
That saved me from agreeing to something and then regret it later. I did text her to say if I did it I would need granny to have the children 1 or 2 days a week during July and August as I had tto children . looking in and had planned to me of in summer. If I said yes on Friday I would have been to late to request this.
Moral of the story if a parent asks a question tell them let me have a wee think to see if it can be accommodated gives you tone to decide. Left mother to think about over weekend

Mouse
13-04-2014, 12:19 PM
It really is a good tactic to have.

I got into the habit of doing it a few years ago. I say to parents "let me have a think and I'll get back to you".

sarah707
13-04-2014, 03:06 PM
Something I always try to do... especially those times when you find yourself nodding and your head is shouting 'nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!' :laughing:

caz3007
13-04-2014, 05:05 PM
It's a lesson you learn. I used to always say yes and then got into the habit of saying let me think about it. Make sure you specify the days you aren't willing to work in the holidays and don't let them push you into changing

loocyloo
13-04-2014, 07:08 PM
A mum said she'd changed her work hours and so she'd just need me to do a full day on a Monday in the holidays. Without even thinking I said 'sorry I don't work Mondays and I only have holiday availability for the days you had already booked, for which fees are due' . Mum said Oh ok and that was that. I was stunned as usually I say ok and then grumble to myself!

Mum said the next day that i'd really taken her by surprise by not being able to do the Monday! She obviously hadn't listened to or read a thing I said/gave her!

alex__17
13-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Very good advice, I'm working more than I planned cos I can't say no, but was put in a similar position to you a couple of weeks ago with a 2yo and 4yo and the 2yo is particularly challenging, I already start earlier for them cos I was put on the spot and said yes and have a tricky preschool run which makes me late for school pickup and the mum called me and asked if I could have the 2yo 4 days a week and both kids on a Monday and when i said i was full other days she asked could I call ofsted and see if I could go over my numbers! Anyway I said I'd call them, having no intention of doing so, and have a think, and got back to her the following day saying ofsted said no and I also couldn't do it as I'd not have space in the car/buggy even if I had been allowed to. The mum who asked all urgently didn't even seem bothered when I said no so I'm glad I didn't go out of my way!
In future I'm always going to tell them I'll have a think, once you've said yes and have the children it's much harder to change things!