PDA

View Full Version : temparary minding

rach
24-07-2008, 11:30 AM
hi, i've not posted on here before but often read for bits of advice!
I have just had an enquiry from a parent wanting me to have her 20month old child for 1 month only in september, i dont mind doing that so much but the reason is because she has got him a place at a nursery for october and has now found she needs to start her job earlier so needs care for the 1 month b4 he goes to a day nursery. i just wondered firstly how many of you would take on for 1 month only (knowing that you may have to turn work down just because of it) and secondly how would this effect the child? as it generally takes a month to get to know a child and for them to get to know me, so just as he may feel settled he'd then have to get used to a nursery!

then on the other hand i have a vacancy and i need the money and i may not get any more calls! what would you do?

by the way she is coming to see me at 2.30 today!!
any advice appreciated
thanks
rach x

Pipsqueak
24-07-2008, 11:33 AM
I offer short term and temp contracts and a minding friend that is all she offers one off/emergency care.

Yes I would do it, I have been asked by someone in the playground if I will for 6 weeks in September.

samgeordie
24-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I would do it especially if you have the vacancy and need the pennies. Even if you get other childcare enquiries while you have this one, it may work out ok as not everyone needs childcare immediately and a couple of weeks wait may not matter. Also you never know the child may settle so well with you that the mum could decide not to use the nursery and use you instead.

Good luck

mimo
24-07-2008, 11:46 AM
As its a temperary contract if you only have that one space left i would charge a higher hourly rate as you konw its only going to be short term. As for the child only just settling in before he moves that unfortunatly is going to happen regardles of whether you or someone else has him.Try to find out as many of his likes and dislikes before he comes and get his mum to bring some of his favorite things from home to help him feel more comfortable.I do a fair bit of emergancy cover and sometime only see the child for a few days before they move on .Kids are adaptaple and can feel at home quite quickly . Good luck and hope it goes ok

katickles
24-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I would do it - you never know, you may just wow the pants off the nursery & she may change her mind! :D

devoncm
24-07-2008, 11:59 AM
I would do it, like has been said you have the space and need the money, plus if all goes well she may keep you in mind for the future if she still decides to go for nursery, it may only be one that is term time only not all yr.

good luck hope all goes ok.

rach
24-07-2008, 12:00 PM
thankyou all for your quick replies, you have put my mind at rest and yes it is the only space i have which is why i worried about it more i guess!
i know children do adapt quickly but i just dont think its fair on them but like you say its up to the parents and who knows maybe she'll change her mind if he likes it here!
thanks again i'll let you know how it goes later x

FizzysFriends
24-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Good luck for the meeting later

rach
25-07-2008, 08:45 AM
hi, well she came and only stayed about 15 mins! the little boy was lovely, she basically said she hasnt actually got a job yet but has been 4 interview and thinks they may want her to start sooner than the date she has place 4 nursery so needs to 'bridge the gap' in between!! to be honest i'm not gona get my hopes up on this one, she said she had others to see and i dont think we really 'clicked' although she was nice enough so wouldnt mind doing it just for the month! oh well will wait and see lol
thanks again for your advice x