PDA

View Full Version : bad day

christine84
10-04-2014, 02:33 PM
not a good day today. mum of 2 kids who come 2 days a week asked me to switch as one child was ill. on this occasi8n I could not as it would mean asking my assistant to work a friday as an additional day as her contract is 3 fixed days and I needed her on the days she wascontracted to work cause of nursery run. I called mum and explained I could do friday but it won't be a switch as I needed to pay my assistant for the friday as an extra day. so she had to pay for friday. shedecided to bring the non sick child on the normsl day and said she understood

next day which is t8day dad drops off son and is not smiling. I dont remember him responding to my greeting. he then confirmed that his daughter was unwell and queried my charge. he was visible angry though n8t intimidating and said he was really surprised I would still charge, and why should I charge for the thursday absence. that he could not believe I would do that...he was shaking his head and made me feel like the devil. he queried my explanations and asked when my assistant worked etc. he gave a bit of attitude I felt very upset and was shak7ng while explaining to him. he is quite tall. everything was a blur but I was shocked at theway he vented out the anger. . the contract signed visibly said charges applicable for absence and he knows this.

anyways after he lef I realised son had pooed and he was changed.. within 2 hours 3 to 4 more poos...diarreoh I.....had to call mum to tell them to pick him up..she seemed surprised when I said she needed to pick him up..I knew her and hubby home and most likely hubby would come..so I told assistant to hand son over..I am upset cause they know my payment and sickness policy esp as diarreoh is contagious.

I charge them 32 each perday..with additional10% sibling discount. whether it be 6.am drop off (6am to 3pm or 12pm to 8.30pm pick up as she does shifts and if 5 days per week it comes to 150 per week. my other parents pay more...I feel they are not appreciative...so annoyed... ...

KateA
10-04-2014, 03:23 PM
Hi, did not want to read and run sending you hugs its not good when parents dont want to pay. Could you do a general letter to all parents as a general reminder re sickness policy.

I would not be happy feeling intimated like that and would have to consider if I wanted to work with the family who made me feel like this especially if it became a habit.

Personally I don't not offer any type of sibling discount

x

AliceK
10-04-2014, 03:38 PM
They really need a wake up call to realise what a good deal they have got. They could find getting care difficult with needing 6am drop offs and 8.30pm pick-ups, it most certainly isn't something I would consider and most childminders who would consider it would charge an enhanced rate between 6am - 8am and 6pm and 8.30pm so £32 pday is a good deal.
As for the swopping of days refer them back to their contract which states fees are still payable if a child does not attend.
They have a cheek and this will have been (hopefully) a wake up call for them. Stick to your guns and don't let anyone bully you.

xxxx

Koala
10-04-2014, 03:43 PM
YOU POOR THING - THAT IS SO UNFAIR, MEAN AND NASTY, and I am sure they knew exactly what they were doing, it's intimidation and you shouldn't have to put up with it, however and unfortunately it goes on a lot when parents don't want to pay for something they are unable to access.

For what it's worth I charge for sickness absences - like most.
I wouldn't swap a sickness day unless it worked out for me.
And I would be insulted, upset and intimidated if a parent had attitude with me, in my own home, for something that is beyond my control and strictly straight forward.

They are getting a cracking deal from you already, but obviously they don't see why they should be responsible for their contractual obligations, like a lot of people, when it doesn't suite them they get nasty to try and make it suite them by being like this.

I would not let this change my mind about charging them or even consider swapping days in future, you are right and they are WRONG!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!! :thumbsup:

loocyloo
10-04-2014, 04:21 PM
BIG hugs to you.

I don't swap days and if parents want a different day, then they pay extra for it. I definitely don't swap days because of sickness. ( for a good family I might, but it would always be my suggestion, and only if I could accommodate child )

it sounds like your parents are getting a good deal and have forgotten what a good deal they get. I would now be unable to swap days in the future.

do you do newsletters? if so, I would add a 'general reminder' about sickness/fees etc

jackie 7
10-04-2014, 05:11 PM
That is so nasty. I would be considering a letter reminding them of unacceptable behaviour. Def a letter reminding people of sickness policy.

blue bear
10-04-2014, 05:51 PM
So he caught you off guard today,now you need to set him straight, they signed and agreed the contract,you was trying to help but didn't have space for a straight swap and was doing your best by the family. You do not appreciate his attitude and any more you will terminate the contract. In future please do not ask to swap as the answer will be no any additional hours will be charged at £x per hour. Let him ring round and try to find an alternative as flexible and as cheap.

Do to let him walk all over you,take charge and tell him as it is.

karen2010
11-04-2014, 03:18 PM
What a bully !!!!!
Don't let it get you down,he caught you on the hop and unprepared for how aggressive he would be.
Most childminders would not work for what you charge,with those hours.
I would follow the excellent advice above,and remember it's YOUR business YOUR house how dare he speak to you like that ?!!!
One of the huge advantages of being a Childminder and self employed, is that we choose who to work with and when certain things are unacceptable,as in his atrocious behaviour, you can choose to give notice if you wish.
One of my childminder friends had a very aggressive parent once, she commented to me that he wouldn't have been so aggressive had her husband been there!
Take heart and stay strong,he sounds like a right piece of work but you did well to stand your ground.
Xxxxxxxx

christine84
15-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Thank you all for the support.

really made a difference