PDA

View Full Version : Registration visit - what to expect?

Elkie Mawdsley
09-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone

I have my registration visit next Monday, what should I expect to happen?

I have completed the booklet and have created a welcome pack which contains policies etc which I will let her look through whilst I make a drink.

Any ideas or hints or tips?

karen2010
09-04-2014, 08:28 AM
My registration visit lasted 2 hours and she wrote everything I said in her laptop which was a little unnerving !
Expect questions on the eyfs, safe guarding procedures, fire evacuation policy etc.
She will have a good look around your home to see which rooms you want to register for childminding purposes (including your garden) and check that you have made all those areas safe.
I pointed out all cleaning products now stored in a high cupboard,and where my first aid kit was located.
Try to look at your house as she will- is it safe for children? Do you have areas for play? Do you have a nap area for small children during the day?
She will also want to look at all your policies, documents,insurances etc.
I was very nervous at mine but she was lovely and really helped me when I got stuck!
Then it's a big glass of wine after !!!!
Good luck xxxxx

Elkie Mawdsley
09-04-2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks Karen2010. I haven't purchased any insurances yet as thought this could wait until I had minded Children - is it best to purchase these before?

What kind of questions did she ask of the Eyfs?
So nervous! Lol

LauraS
09-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Thanks Karen2010. I haven't purchased any insurances yet as thought this could wait until I had minded Children - is it best to purchase these before? What kind of questions did she ask of the Eyfs? So nervous! Lol

You can't buy insurance until registered but will need to buy it as soon as you are registered to meet the terms of your registration, even if you have no minded children as yet.

karen2010
09-04-2014, 05:07 PM
About the three prime areas mainly - communication,physical development and personal social and emotional development. Even though I had done my training it all went out my head totally but she was lovely and said "well for instance how did you do it with your daughter" and explained it in more simple terms so I could understand the question ! Halfway thru I said "do u want another cup of tea" , so I could have a bit of a break, once I was not at the table I was a bit cheeky and said how am I doing? And she said really well, she was surprised I had no previous childcare experience,which was lovely to hear and gave me lots of confidence to finish !
Really don't worry they know you will be nervous xxxx

Elkie Mawdsley
10-04-2014, 07:10 AM
Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance :)

Do you think it will be best for me to get someone to watch my little one (6 months) so I can give full attention?

fran90
10-04-2014, 07:33 AM
I had someone look after my son so I didn't have any distractions!

sing-low
10-04-2014, 07:36 AM
Thank you so much for the advice and reassurance :) Do you think it will be best for me to get someone to watch my little one (6 months) so I can give full attention?
It's up to you. Mrs O will have quite a few of her questions answered by seeing you interact with your LO and she'll be used to doing inspections with children around! But if you think you'll find it too hard to concentrate then it might be a good idea to have someone look after your LO. My DH took DD3 out for most of my inspection and they were back for the last bit. DD then stood on a stool which broke(!) which was a bit embarrassing. Good luck!

karen2010
10-04-2014, 09:12 AM
I would keep your LO with you. Be nice for Mrs O to see you interact. I had my 8 year old daughter with me and it helped enormously as I was still in "Mummy" mode so didn't get too stressed being on my own with Mrs O - if that makes sense !
Also she came and sat on my knee and kissed me (Daughter not Mrs O !) and inside I'm thinking ....there...see....I am a lovely person well able to look after other peoples kids....look how much my daughter loves me !! Ha ha ha !!!!

Elkie Mawdsley
10-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Thank you all so much :)

Little Penny's
12-04-2014, 12:00 PM
I had my 2year old with me at mine a couple of weeks ago. It was nice in someways to have a distraction to buy time for giving my answers. Even if she was climbing everything.

Also Mrs O said she was able to report that I was physically able to look after children (watched me geting down and up from floor, lifting/carrying daughter etc)

Good luck on Monday

yummyripples
13-04-2014, 07:09 AM
I have a friend registering at the moment.
Is it ok for her to be saying 'this is what I will be doing' or does she have to have it all in place? Her own children are all grown up so she doesn't want to make her house child friendly until she is ready to start just in case she changes her mind

FloraDora
13-04-2014, 07:20 AM
I have a friend registering at the moment.
Is it ok for her to be saying 'this is what I will be doing' or does she have to have it all in place? Her own children are all grown up so she doesn't want to make her house child friendly until she is ready to start just in case she changes her mind

The advice from ofsted is that the moment you receive your certificate you can open so the expectation is that you should show you are ready to open on the inspection visit. On the visit the inspector asks what changes have you made to ensure your home is safe? And then tours the house to look at them and see for herself that your house and garden is safe for children to play in. She is also looked at resources, and if it isn't obvious, asks about diversity and multiculturalism resources. I also had no ch of my own living at home on inspection, but set my home up as if I had a child coming that day, also with resources that matched the planning I intended to talk about - as if I was ready to go. My inspector praised this and meant she didn't need to probe to find out my knowledge and the visit was reasonably short.

If she is going to all the trouble and expense to register she is not likely to change her mind surely?

Little Penny's
13-04-2014, 09:18 AM
My inspector asked over the phone if I had all my resources in place. She said she likes to see them. She was happy if I didn't have all my gates and locks in place as long as I knew what I was planning to do.

She also requested to see my Safeguarding and complaints policies. She was pleased to see I had done all of mine but advised they would be the main two shes interested in.

Elkie Mawdsley
13-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Thank you all. I have will let you know how it goes x

Elkie Mawdsley
14-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Well.....I'm registered :)

The lady was lovely and really put me at ease - gave me my pre reg booklet so I had my pre prepared answers for her questions and gave me lots of advice.

Thank you all for putting my mind at rest x

karen2010
14-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Hurrah ! Well done ! Now to recruit the kids !!!

Vikki5531
14-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Congratulations! That's great news! It's nice to hear you had a nice Inspector xx

Elkie Mawdsley
14-04-2014, 03:15 PM
the excitement begins :)

Vikki5531
14-04-2014, 03:50 PM
the excitement begins :)

Just a quick question - Did you have your ICO registration in place when Ofsted came out? X

Elkie Mawdsley
14-04-2014, 05:54 PM
I didn't - and I wasn't asked about it - although one of my policies she read mentioned I would be registered with the ICO - perhaps she was satisfied with that.

I did have to purchase PLI prior to her departure as it is now a condition of registration.

JKL
14-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Sorry to sound dippy but what is ICO registration? Didn't think we had to have PLI til we're officially registered?

Vikki5531
14-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Sorry to sound dippy but what is ICO registration? Didn't think we had to have PLI til we're officially registered?

ICO stands for Information Commissioners Office and we need to register with them due to taking photographs, it costs £35 to register, however my Development Officer has advised we need this in place before our Ofsted pre-reg visit, but it doesn't look like we do :)

I also didn't think we needed to have PLI during the pre-reg visit ... xx