PDA

View Full Version : Any information greatly received. Wanting to become a childminder, where to start???

Lisa_b
07-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Hi all,

I am new to this website and forum.

I have 7 years experience working in a private day nursery, with children aged 3 months to 5 years. During that period I gained my NVQ level 4 in childcare and worked in a supervisory position. I am very familiar with the EYFS and how it is implemented in a nursery setting.

The last year I have been working in a children's residential care setting with teenagers, but now I am pregnant with my first child I am very interested in becoming a child minder so I can work and look after my own child at the same time. Has anyone else done this before?

I would appreciate any help or information on where to start the process of becoming a childminder, what is required, costs and earnings and any general information.

Currently being pregnant it is not something I can do immediately, but would ideally like to gather as much information and start the process so I could be registered and running from when my maternity leave runs out after having my child.

Thank you in advance to any one out there who can help.

Lisa

karen2010
07-04-2014, 06:52 PM
Hi Lisa,
I have been childminding a year.
Wanted to care for my own daughter(9) and also love kids so seemed ideal for me.
My starting point was my local council. I did my training with them and have an excellent childcare support worker who is always on hand if I need any help.
The training process takes AGES so start as early as you can! I started my training in Oct and didnt get my first kids until the following May x
Read EVERYTHING on this forum especially about fees etc as I made so many mistakes re:charges that I wouldnt have made had I discovered this forum earlier!
Be prepared as a newbie that you may have to offer times etc that others wont that are much more established - I offered evening care and Saturdays as no other childminder in my area did - have now stopped evenings but still offer Saturdays as I can charge more and my own Daughter loves the activities I do with her and mindees.
Have a plan to attract new clients - business cards, sign up with local schools,notice boards etc.
Take a long look at your house with new eyes and try to see it as a new Parent would - is it somewhere you would like to leave your own child? Be prepared to make lots of changes ie play area, re-vamp garden etc - somewhere to display notices for Parents.
Do your research! What do other childminders charge? Do your local schools provide before/after school clubs? What do they charge?
You are so fortunate to have already worked in a Nursery so you have full knowledge of the EYFS - I had no childcare experience before so started from scratch!
Be prepared once you qualify - childminding can be lonely so attend local playgroups, join your local childminding group(invaluable support and help from established childminders) and most of all - enjoy it ! Fabulously enjoyable running your own business AND providing parents with an essential service (even if they dont always seem to appreciate it!)
Oh and one last tip - so wish I had known this at the start - dont get too close to the Parents - easy to do but makes the handover at the end of the day last soooo much longer when you are tired out !!
Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

Rick
07-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi Lisa

Have a look at this thread which should help you understand the registration process

http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

karen2010
07-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Ha ha I took ages with that reply Rick and you nailed it in one sentance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tulip0803
07-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi Lisa

Welcome. You may find this thread useful - http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/starting-childminding-pre-registration-visits/117176-registering-childminder.html

It can take anything from 3 months to a year after you submit your application to actually register as a childminder. You do not need to take children straight after registration so if I was you I would start the ball rolling now. There may be a delay to attend a local information session, there may be a delay in being able to do the registration course( you will need to do this even with a level 4), there may be delays in the DBS checks - all these need to be done before the application is submitted. You probably already have paediatric first aid and safeguarding but if they are nearly 3 years old you may have to do them before registering.

Costs vary depending on your local area and how much support is given to registering childminders - you will need to do the pre-reg course, may need first aid/safeguarding, there is the health declaration (cost varies by doctor surgery can be anything from £20-£120), DBS checks for all adults in the house, If you are in England OFSTED registration fee, (equipment, paperwork, toys etc can be bought as you go along)

Earnings again vary depending on location and demand - look at local rates and see what other childminders in your area change and what they include. My area is £3.50 per hour food extra, parents provide nappies etc, other childminders are all inclusive and provide everything, some charge by the day, others half days, or by the hour. I have registered twice first time I had full-time siblings (2&5) waiting to start quickly followed by 2 siblings 4 days a week. The second time I got a child 6 hours a week 2 weeks after registering and then it took probably 18 months to get going.

I also started childminding to be with my children.

danemi1
10-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Hi Lisa,
Wanted to care for my own daughter(9) and also love kids so seemed ideal for me.
My starting point was my local council. I did my training with them and have an excellent childcare support worker who is always on hand if I need any help.
The training process takes AGES so start as early as you can! I started my training in Oct and didnt get my first kids until the following May x
Read EVERYTHING on this forum especially about fees etc as I made so many mistakes re:charges that I wouldnt have made had I discovered this forum earlier!
Be prepared as a newbie that you may have to offer times etc that others wont that are much more established - I offered evening care and Saturdays as no other childminder in my area did - have now stopped evenings but still offer Saturdays as I can charge more and my own Daughter loves the activities I do with her and mindees.
Have a plan to attract new clients - business cards, sign up with local schools,notice boards etc.
Take a long look at your house with new eyes and try to see it as a new Parent would - is it somewhere you would like to leave your own child? Be prepared to make lots of changes ie play area, re-vamp garden etc - somewhere to display notices for Parents.
Do your research! What do other childminders charge? Do your local schools provide before/after school clubs? What do they charge?
You are so fortunate to have already worked in a Nursery so you have full knowledge of the EYFS - I had no childcare experience before so started from scratch!
Be prepared once you qualify - childminding can be lonely so attend local playgroups, join your local childminding group(invaluable support and help from established childminders) and most of all - enjoy it ! Fabulously enjoyable running your own business AND providing parents with an essential service (even if they dont always seem to appreciate it!)
Oh and one last tip - so wish I had known this at the start - dont get too close to the Parents - easy to do but makes the handover at the end of the day last soooo much longer when you are tired out !!
Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx
Really useful info...thanks

karen2010
11-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Ha ha thanks even though Rick trumped me !!!! Xx

Simona
11-04-2014, 03:44 PM
In addition it may be worth reading the latest April 2014 Ofsted newsletter as it has several useful links and some new ones that you will find helpful

Ofsted | Early years: April 2014 (http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/resources/early-years-april-2014)

Lisa_b
04-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Hi Lisa,
Good luck xxxxxxxxxxx

Im almost a year late in reply, but thank you very much for your response!!! I put the child minding on hold whilst I was pregnant, but am now really looking into doing it. Im attending the pre registration meetings shortly and will hopefully go from there. xx