PDA

View Full Version : EYFS-colours

kime
06-04-2014, 12:47 PM
Hi, I have a nearly 3 year old just started with me who doesn't know any colours. I can't see anywhere it says they may understand some colours by an age. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

And also any activities ideas to help him learn the basics would be great.

TIA

X

hectors house
06-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Rather than say to mindee, "What colour is that brick" it is better to say "Can you give me the red brick" and see if they can do that - if he can then he can recognise his colours but just can't name them which will come in time.

Sometimes it helps to say "Red like a post box or fire engine" - one of my mindees says red like a nee na (fire engine) and for yellow he says quack, quack (duck). We are doing a colour theme at the moment - using lots of stories about colours and rainbows from the library, playing with coloured rice - started with red, now doing yellow (especially as there are so many yellow daffodils at the moment).

Also give him choices eg: "would you like the blue cup or the green cup" and ask the parents to talk about colours and give choices at home.

QualityCare
06-04-2014, 02:08 PM
As above also when out and about point out the colour of cars and buses.

auntie lisa
06-04-2014, 02:13 PM
I brought 30 eggs from Asda took the top off the crate thingy and painted the bits where the eggs go different colours so a few are red few blue etc... Then paint cotton wool balls the same colours and then turn it into a game then they learn to match the colours, name the colours and the older ones you can say put 3 red balls into there homes, so it helps to count too.

toddlers896
06-04-2014, 08:22 PM
Rather than say to mindee, "What colour is that brick" it is better to say "Can you give me the red brick" and see if they can do that - if he can then he can recognise his colours but just can't name them which will come in time.

Sometimes it helps to say "Red like a post box or fire engine" - one of my mindees says red like a nee na (fire engine) and for yellow he says quack, quack (duck). We are doing a colour theme at the moment - using lots of stories about colours and rainbows from the library, playing with coloured rice - started with red, now doing yellow (especially as there are so many yellow daffodils at the moment).

Also give him choices eg: "would you like the blue cup or the green cup" and ask the parents to talk about colours and give choices at home.

Lovely advice. I will try this tomorrow, can you give me red brick. I tend to do the what colour is this and they get it wrong

kime
13-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys - this has been helping

tess1981
14-04-2014, 11:23 AM
I have been doing a colour activity this morning... plastic eggs that are blue purple pink orange and green. The eggs come apart so I will for example hold the blue one and ask my 2 yo to give me the other blue one. She can see the one in my hand and pick out the other blue one and then repeats blue to me