PDA

View Full Version : Not coping - with paperwork and time management!

KLCG
05-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Hi i am looking after a baby who is nearly 1 40hrs a week all year round, and I also look after 4yo, 5yo & 8yo after schoolers TTO, on top of my own children who are 8yo & 4yo. My own 4yo also has ADHD and is at nursery. The after schools are different days spread out over the week, on a Tuesday I have them all!

Anyway, I am struggling with paperwork. I am basically writing in a notebook everyday for baby, what he ate, pooped and what we have done that day. Any moments that I thought were lovely. I managing to do cash receipts because not one of them has mastered online banking!! That's it! The baby and my son take up all if my energy and so I'm not getting anything else done. I am basically being a harassed mother of 6 most days! The baby is very clingy won't let you leave the room etc goes from 0-60 in seconds goes bright red and is a very loud screamer' my son is finding this difficult but in periods of calm everyone is happy! He finds the after schoolers worst though.

I've decided to let the after schoolers go and keep on the baby as my son will be at full time school in sept and I feel that if I can continue with the baby who I've had for 8wks I can plan better and after school time will be calmer. For all.

My issue is still paperwork. I am due Ofsted any moment so I am getting stressed. I haven't even started doing proper observations yet! I'm stressed to the eyeballs trying to juggle everything!!!

Also have a nursery manager who is my neighbour, she keeps making comments about the baby crying, he is safe at all times. If I need to use the toilet I put him in the travel cot or his little baby pod, but she's making me feel awful for letting him cry, when I do that. I have been minding for 5yrs and this is the first time I haven't been happy doing my job, I am feeling very overwhelmed by everything at the moment. Just wanted some non judgmental advice !

Thank you!!

Mouse
05-04-2014, 06:00 PM
I think a lot of us go through phases where it all just gets too much, but it does sound as if you're doing something to address it.

Next time your neighbour comments on the baby crying all the time, why not ask her if she has any tips for helping him settle? I'm not for one minute saying you need any help, but it might just change her attitude from being critical to being helpful and sympathetic :thumbsup:

As for paperwork, have you had a look through the free resources on here? This sheet is useful for double checking you've got everything in place

EYFS Compliance Checklist (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/eyfscompliancechecklist.html)

There are lots of others as well that might help you.

Then start off with some really basic observations and planning for the baby. They don't need to be hugely in depth, but need to show that you are doing something. Get into the routine of doing simple obs, then build up to something more detailed if you feel you need to & when you feel ready to.

Take it one small step at a time and don't put so much pressure on yourself.

:group hug:

alwaysright
05-04-2014, 09:15 PM
i'd be asking her "oh dont the babies in your nursery cry??" opened ended question....smile and walk away! dont even worry about her! we all know babies cry, i currently have one that screams as soon as i turn my back because they know i am going to leave the room! would it not be more financially viable to keep the after schoolies and not one baby?? also much less time works, much much less paperwork and although your son isnt happy with them maybe if you werent working during the day just after school hours you would be less stressed so enjoy everything a bit more....i'd love to do just after schools but there is no demand whatsoever where i live

watford wizz
05-04-2014, 09:30 PM
I had a woman ask me if I had a dummy to stop 5 mth old LO crying on the bus I just told her babies are meant to cry, and us hear them it's how they communicate. How else are we to know they are tired, wet, hungry. She looked somewhat sheepish as another passenger agreed with me x

tigwig
05-04-2014, 10:12 PM
Pffft I wouldn't worry about what your neighbour says. Ive worked in nurseries for yrs before childminding and babies cried far far more there. No idea why shes mentioning the crying to you other than maybe she wishes she doesn't have to go to her work to hear worse!
Im sure you are doing a fab job, it will get easier :) x

KLCG
05-04-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks all

My son is really tired in the afternoons, he wants to sit and zone but I am rushing around trying to get tea done and cannot sit with him for very long. I would be doing nothing all day so it makes sense to have the baby and work in the day and not have the after schoolers x

My neighbour just made me paranoid :( the baby has been teething this week so has been doubly hard. We will get there though!

sarah707
06-04-2014, 07:58 AM
I have written a blog about time management - it starts by putting aside some time to set up systems - then you just have to keep them running.

I hope you find it useful x

Time management and childminders - (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/1/post/2014/03/time-management-and-childminders.html)

blue bear
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Try and work out what settles little one no matter how briefly, I find the pushchair works the best for 'screamers' they feel more secure. Try strapping lo in and put some music on, doe that work, or the tv or looking out of the patio window does opening the door work, keep working though until you find something that works if only for a few seconds you can build up time. I had a little one that would only settle if I put the iPod on and tucked into his cosy toes,doesn't last for ever but it helped so much especially after school when I had others to see to.
Going out in the garden helped too just looking at the sky and the birds were a distraction, he slept so much better doutside too, bit cold for me but he was cosy warm wrapped in the pram and I'm a big believer in going with what ever settles a lo. If you have no others in the day this can increase the problem as there are less distractions, have you tried taking him to childminder or toddler groups,babies love watching other children play.

Try and get yourself a little routine going,that is key to paperwork,always have a notepad and pen and camera to hand whenever possible so if you see sow thing new you write it down or take a picture or both observations canbe quick o e liners also etching like Jo put the spoon in his mouth for the first time. Jo sat up unaided Jo said mama. Keep it really simple and to the point.
When baby is asleep stick the observation in the learning journal leaving space for the photo when you print it off.

The next step of observations is linking to the areas of learning, you look in the book and find on the left hand side something that is similar to what you saw, so Jo sat up unaided, physical development, movement and handling, sits u aided, In The right hand columnare ideas for next steps, pick one and write it down, this is your plan for the afternoon or tomorrow, nice and simple. You can do this with baby asleep in your arms or in the buggy next to you or in the Tavel cot, try to do o e every other other, just really short and simple it will build up very quickly, once things settle and you have noted all the things baby can do you onl nEDD to something new that makes you go wow so slows down to one a week on average.

Once you are confident, you will find yourself tweaking and changing things to suit your way of doing things.

Read that back it seems a. It patronising to someone doing the job for five years, just wanted to try to help. Stop worrying about what others think just concentrate on the important people, you and the children.

KLCG
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
Hiya thanks Sarah I've used you're books before I think! :D

Thanks Bluebear, we go to a group every morning I have him. He is fine, as you said distracted. Calming him down is easier when I can cool him down outside after he has had a meltdown. But sometimes like the other day he screamed and screamed for over an hour whilst on school run because of his teeth. I had already left the house where he had been ok so didn't have a chance to use teething powders or meds for him. Times like that are tricky. He is such a lovely boy when calm & happy. Sometimes this job just isn't what I set out to do, which was spend more time with my own children whilst working from home. I feel I spend all of my time saying not now , mummy doesn't have the time and mummy is tired to my own children. Unfortunately the option to work elsewhere isn't financially viable and my sons own sen has to be considered too. I'm hoping this Easter break gives me the respite I need and gives me a chance to catch up on paperwork etc. a lot of the parents I have worked for aren't that interested in the stuff we childminders do for the kids, the paperwork etc I have had on more than one occasion a parent say , if I wanted him to be taught and have him in a nursery setting I would have put him in one. I just wanted him to have a home from setting etc...

sing-low
06-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Could you use the wow moments that you are already writing as observations? That way you're keeping it really simple and therefore manageable. Hugs for you. It's so hard with a crying baby, just really wears you down, doesn't it? And you feel for them too.