PDA

View Full Version : Nursery version of 2yr check

tori4
05-04-2014, 08:44 AM
So one of my LOs has been at nursery since Sept x2 days a week comes to me the other 3 has been with me over 18mnths

LO was 2yrs in Oct

I did her 2yr check in Dec and shared with mum and nursery - not much feedbk/comments thou.

Nursery have just done theres ( not sure why not sooner)

So nursery have put her in 22-36 mnths for every area and written some Radom things which do not sound like the LO I know.

Oddly they have also put her in 22-36 mnths for self-care although she is not potty trained and no where near potty trained?!?

Mum thinks this is because one day at nursery she pulled off a dirty nappy in the toilets unassisted - there was a lot of mess :-0!

I dnot think they have done an honest assessment there are other gaps too in CL understanding and PSED behaviour ( awareness of dangers)

I have explained my surprise to mum that they have said she is secure/achieved in all these areas she doesn't seem bothered (I think it's what she wants to hear )

Should I and how do I discuss the difference in my observations with nursery ?

blue bear
05-04-2014, 09:01 AM
To be honest I'm confused why two hacks have been done, with my lo who attended nursery,I actually wrote the check but both the parents and key worker had input into the finished article so it was a totally rounded picture of the chiid.
So it might have stated at BlueBears and mummy's house Matilda is content in her nappy,at nursery she has been known to pull her dirty nappy down wanting to be changed.

As long as you have written permission I'd go in and have a chat, ask if you can swap observations so you can each work on the others next steps to keep things constant for the little one, both share wow moments and concerns so you are both seeing the bigger picture and supporting her all round.

I would not go in and say they have for things wrong that will just get their back up and you will get no where, keep it all positive,

Simona
05-04-2014, 10:11 AM
The 2 year old Progress check has been done according to interpretations since it came out in Sept 2012
It is usually the setting where the child goes the most that completes it and the other setting inputs their comments...but I doubt this has been done in many cases due to different ways of working and lack of time/opportunities to get together and discuss

It is also confusing because each LA carries out the check at different times...some when a child is just 2 others later on...so no joined up thinking

It is clearly stated in EYFS 2012 page 2 that practitioners must work in partnership...it is hard to misinterpret this
In EYFS 2014 'partnership working' is again on page 5 and then on page 13 in 2.4

In 2.5 it states clearly that parents should share it with other relevant professionals, including their HVisitor and staff of any new provision the child may transfer to.

It also says in 2.5'practitioners MUST agree the most useful point to provide a summary'
And it states further down it 'should inform each other and support integrated working allowing Health and Education professionals to identify strengths and well as any developmental delay'

My take it is clear we should work together now as in 2015 Education and Health combine their efforts to identify and intervene

I can understand Tori4 concerns and I have many too but what will we do about it?
I was told by another setting that sharing info is not required by Ofsted since November 2013 when the new inspection framework came into being...really? ....I beg to differ with that...so where do we get a clear explanation of our duty to share effectively?

My only thought is to put this question to Ofsted itself at Ofsted Big Conversation meeting next week...any other suggestions are welcome