PDA

View Full Version : Foundation degree early years

KatieFS
04-04-2014, 10:37 AM
After lots of thinking I'm going to apply for foundation degree this sept. I was thinking of doing voluntary work with home start, i am working towards outreach work in future.
but discovered my la is funding 80% foundation degree, so seems crazy not to. I love to learn and would love to do f.d to extended my knowledge, support my business and for my own personal Dvp

What to expect? That's my questions. I have to attend a day a week, I assume ill have home readings and assignments. Just wondering how you found it.

Slightly concerned if any of my children leave ill need to look at new business and don't want the day a week at college to count against me.

MAWI
04-04-2014, 10:47 AM
I am almost at the end of my FDEY. However, I have studied with OU. I do wish I had done it one day a week at a UNI or college as it has been difficult in fitting it around life and work. It has been a long four years but OU worked for me as I could not get one day a week on the day I wanted. I would say go for it, it will be worth it in the long run. For me it was more about learning and personal satisfaction, I was not in pursuit of a particular job. At times I have wanted to throw in the towel due to life/kids/moving/death in family and so on and on and on. I am now weeks away and so glad I have stuck with it. It will give you a different perspective on how children learn, development theories. There is also a LOT of reflection on your practice. Also if it is funded then why not!

specks4
04-04-2014, 10:59 AM
I did my first year on the foundation degree but couldn't do 2nd year as LA has no funding but would really love to complete it.

PeekABoos
04-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I am thinking of applying with the OU next year sometime. It's something I definitely want to do but I know it will be hell to do at home because working around kids and life is a great idea but it never does lol. xxx

specks4
04-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Peekaboo I thought that with ou will be easy as can do everything in the evening but I found it so hard to begin with as doing it every evening wasn't working and found I was catching up on weekends and ended up having no time for myself or family. In the end I did myself a timetable and worked round that and it worked really well as I set aside time to do OU work and housework eg so at the weekends I could spend with my family. It is worth it though doing though OU if you can't get to college.

PeekABoos
04-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Peekaboo I thought that with ou will be easy as can do everything in the evening but I found it so hard to begin with as doing it every evening wasn't working and found I was catching up on weekends and ended up having no time for myself or family. In the end I did myself a timetable and worked round that and it worked really well as I set aside time to do OU work and housework eg so at the weekends I could spend with my family. It is worth it though doing though OU if you can't get to college.

Yeah I know what you mean specks, I did a course online it was only a short one but I found I had no time with family and things till I done a time table total godsend they are! How did you find OU as a whole? Xxx

Nickidela
04-04-2014, 12:36 PM
I did my degree with honours through OU. I must admit I found it easy but only because my situation was different then. It took 6 years in total - my two eldest children were young but I was a single mum so did spend most weekends if they were with their dad and an evening here and there when they were in bed studying. More time was needed when an assignment was due. I was working full time so basically had no time to myself. I met my husband two years before I completed it and kept to the same routine - he would be working on the house etc to let me get on. I would recommend OU definitely! But if you have the chance to get the course funded and have that support of a tutor one day a week I would jump at that chance! Good luck if you choose to go ahead!

Mrsh3103
04-04-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm starting my degree with the OU this year. Registration date is the 24th april, beginning to feel slightly nervous :-/
I'm sitting down with dh this weekend and we're going to work out a rota for housework. He's agreed 1 day a month he will take our kids out for an entire day so I can study! I just hope he sticks to the plan :-/

specks4
04-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Yeah I know what you mean specks, I did a course online it was only a short one but I found I had no time with family and things till I done a time table total godsend they are! How did you find OU as a whole? Xxx

I didn't go to any of the offered tutorials as they were too far away but my tutor support was good and the OU forum was really good. If you know anyone who also wants to do I think that would help as you could work together as I found apart from my tutor on the other end of phone at set times and emails not answered straight away it was hard but I would do OU again to do 2nd year if some funding became available.

charlottenash
04-04-2014, 09:46 PM
I have done my level 3 online, and found it so so easy. Just applied for the foundation degree via OU but I have stopped childminding and working 2 hours a day in a school, also have only a 5yo son at school so I guess I am very lucky with the time I have on my hands.

The Juggler
05-04-2014, 12:21 PM
i did the FD. I worked 4 days per week but still around 48 hours per week. I went to college 4-9pm once per week and 1 saturday per month for 2 years.

i went on to do the top up year at uni and did 1 day 2pm-9pm and 1 evening every other week.

I'd say on top of college attendance you'd need to put in 5-10 hours of self study per week. Not sure about OU.

I did both, got a first and am now doing a PGCE whilst working full time.

KatieFS
06-04-2014, 09:50 AM
Juggler well done! was all your study funded ?

I've nearly finished my ucas application - just getting a reference sorted. So excited!! Husband thinks I'm daft being so excited to start a degree. But secretly proud!

PeekABoos
06-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Juggler well done! was all your study funded ? I've nearly finished my ucas application - just getting a reference sorted. So excited!! Husband thinks I'm daft being so excited to start a degree. But secretly proud!

The early years degree with OU you get a student loan for. Like you would in a brick UNi. Xx

The Juggler
06-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Juggler well done! was all your study funded ?

I've nearly finished my ucas application - just getting a reference sorted. So excited!! Husband thinks I'm daft being so excited to start a degree. But secretly proud!

it was mostly funded. when I did the FD at college in 2007 it cost £800 now it's nearer £2k. I got £900 from the LA as at the time there was the Graduate Leader Fund to be used up.

My 3rd year cost £3,500 (now £9K!) i asked nicely and my LA gave me £1000 towards it.

PGCE is funded as I'm doing the School Direct (salaried) route so I'm employed as an unqualified teacher and uni fees are paid for - however, it's tough working full-time and doing the same coursework and assignments as the university based PGCE students :panic::panic:

12 weeks to go though :clapping::clapping:

good luck with the course hon. and yes def. get loan for fees and you can apply for a maintenance grant if you study full=time (dependent upon your partner income). Also if you are fulltime your partner/you can get a 25% reduction on your council tax :thumbsup:

KatieFS
07-04-2014, 11:57 AM
Thank you! I'm aiming to get the paperwork in to ucas and finding applications in this week. Ill let you know how it goes. So exciting!

manjay
07-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Thank you! I'm aiming to get the paperwork in to ucas and finding applications in this week. Ill let you know how it goes. So exciting!

Good luck:thumbsup: I think I am a study addict:D I am already panicking about what I am going to do once I finish my BA Hons in May!! I started with an FD which was originally offered as part classroom based and part distance learning. After the first few terms I moved to wholly distance learning as it suited me much better. I can honestly say I have loved every minute of it (well maybe not the last few hours before submission deadlines!). It has changed my life enormously and opened doors I would never have imagined.

Keep us posted with how you get on

KatieFS
07-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Thanks - what's your experience manjay? What 'doors' were open to you ?

manjay
08-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks - what's your experience manjay? What 'doors' were open to you ?

I think the confidence boost for me is enormous! I am nearly 45 and unless I have a drastic fail with my dissertation I am on track to obtain a first class honours degree. That fact in itself is pretty amazing to me! I now feel I have the academic underpinning knowledge to back up everything I do with my children. Most benefits so far are related to my childminding business but I have managed to build such a good relationship with my LA that they are often trying to poach me:D. I have also had the privilege of sitting as a trustee on the board of PACEY which is a fantastic experience and gives me the opportunity to attend all sorts of high level meetings. This is just the tip of the iceberg for me and whilst I acknowledge that not everyone's experience will be the same as mine, for me all the study has definitely been worth it. I don't intend to move on from childminding for the forseeable future as it suits my family circumstances and I am very lucky in that I have more work than I can deal with passed to me from my LA.

Good luck with your applications:thumbsup:

KatieFS
25-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Oooooooooo

Interview in may with 'short study skills test'
Help! What is this test and what might they ask me?!???!?

Frightened! Excited!!! Eek

The Juggler
26-04-2014, 08:27 AM
After lots of thinking I'm going to apply for foundation degree this sept. I was thinking of doing voluntary work with home start, i am working towards outreach work in future.
but discovered my la is funding 80% foundation degree, so seems crazy not to. I love to learn and would love to do f.d to extended my knowledge, support my business and for my own personal Dvp

What to expect? That's my questions. I have to attend a day a week, I assume ill have home readings and assignments. Just wondering how you found it.

Slightly concerned if any of my children leave ill need to look at new business and don't want the day a week at college to count against me.

I also started my FD with a Thursday off to study. I actually went to college Wed evening then did all my work on a Thursday (and CM paperwork), then in my third year at uni Thurs was the day I needed to attend uni.

I'd say you'll need to find between 5-10 hours per week for reading and assignment prep depending on how mad about grades you are ;)

The Juggler
26-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Oooooooooo

Interview in may with 'short study skills test'
Help! What is this test and what might they ask me?!???!?

Frightened! Excited!!! Eek

ooh not sure. ring them and ask them - you are allowed to. Study skills are normally, praceeing or annotating an article/reading. Maybe concisely saying what the reading is about. They'll probably look at your use of standard English (spellings, sentence structure etc). Or referencing (but that would be unfair unless they give you the referencing guide).

LittleVoice
26-04-2014, 01:34 PM

I am 8 weeks away from finishing my BA (Hons) in Working with children, young people and families. I origionally started off as a foundation degree and then did the top up and have to say it was the best thing I ever did.

My foundation degree was classed as a full time degree, I attended uni on a Wed evening 5-8 term time with 1 full day (9.30-3.30) per module, there were 6 modules per term so only 6 days per year.
This last year has been my BA year and it has gone from 1 evening a week to 1 full day 9.00 - 21.00 every Thursday. However this year has follow the normal uni semester term and so we had 6 weeks off at Xmas, 2 in Feb and 4 over Easter. (the FD followed schools calendar)

In my first year I had a 3 month old baby so I wasn't working, when I started my 2nd year I was nannying 40 hours a week and in my 3rd year I am child minding between 25 and 38 hours a week. It has been hard but it is doable.

My one piece of advice is to get organised, make a study plan and stick to it. If you can drop 1 day at work I would highly recommend it as ive not given myself enough time to study as much as I want. I am on track to get a high 2:1 with an average mark of 67, had I dedicated more time I could have got my first (need an average mark of 70) but hey ho, I'm still happy (ish) with what I will get. (assuming I stop browsing on here get this darn dissertation done!!)

We had a lot of reading to do on a night and a lot of research but like I said earlier, if you stay on top of what you are learning you can do it.
I plan on going on to do my MA in Social Work, however I want to work in Youth Support but where I live it youth services are being dramatically cut so a qualification in SW can allow me to do both Youth work or social work were as a qualification in youth work would only allow me to work in youth services.

KatieFS
26-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Well done little voice - you've done so well!!! I hope I do as well.

Yup going to ring them nxt week and ask.

Trpta108
26-04-2014, 09:26 PM
This has made me a bit worried. I was planning to apply to start FD October with OU, but reading some of your replies it sounds like it could be quite time consuming. I am a single mum and have 5 children and work 30 hours a week in a preschool (I used to childmind hence why I come on here from time to time). How many hours a week did those of you studying at OU study at week? I really want to do it but at the same time I am worried I will regret it if I end up with little time for the children.

KatieFS
27-04-2014, 02:13 PM
They have advised me, my one day at Uni, then 8-10 hours a week. Might be different in practise !?

Smiley
27-04-2014, 11:10 PM
I did mine with the OU but never really plotted the number of study hours each week. It's flexible enough just depends how you work, sometimes nothing for days but then quite a bit if an assignment was due. I didn't do many of the 'activities' as I felt I already had knowledge and experience and found many of them unnecessary.

I was working ins 50+ hours per week and teaching some evenings. Burning the midnight oil when assignments due but definitely worth doing, if you want the qualification you'll find a way to manage time :)

KatieFS
30-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Interview on 23 may

The study skills test is comprehension and questions from nursery world. Eek

KatieFS
23-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Hooray got on the course! Relieved excited and delighted!!!

Bumble Beez
23-05-2014, 05:51 PM

I was then coming to see how the interview went!
Congrats...and welcome to the degree level lol x

Sarah x

Simona
24-05-2014, 08:04 AM

Well done you...I hope you enjoy studying and find it will enrich your knowledge and certainly benefit your practice
I am sure you will enjoy your one day at Uni and meet so many different practitioners...for me personally it was an eye opener as they were of all ages and worked in different settings
which college are you going to?
Good luck and keep us posted

samb
24-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Congratulations :-)

The Juggler
26-05-2014, 03:10 PM
This has made me a bit worried. I was planning to apply to start FD October with OU, but reading some of your replies it sounds like it could be quite time consuming. I am a single mum and have 5 children and work 30 hours a week in a preschool (I used to childmind hence why I come on here from time to time). How many hours a week did those of you studying at OU study at week? I really want to do it but at the same time I am worried I will regret it if I end up with little time for the children.

honey depends on you. there were girls at college/uni with me who did the bare minimum, resubmitted quite a few essays as they didn't put the reading/work in and they passed.

I did about 10 hours per week on top of work and attending college/uni (more at hand in time in third year) and got a first - i worked my butt off cos I was determined to do well but I had a really supportive hubby to take kids off for me. I'd say if you aim somewhere in the middle you'll do ok. :thumbsup:

KatieFS
01-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Hi all! Just to say I've nearly completed enrolling! I start next Thursday!
Hope I'm Not the oldest!!!

Bumble Beez
04-09-2014, 03:32 AM
Hi all! Just to say I've nearly completed enrolling! I start next Thursday! Hope I'm Not the oldest!!!

Ooh how exciting :clapping:
I start my second year soon...first year went v.quickly
Good luck for next Thursday xx

Sarah x