PDA

View Full Version : PPL ?????

leahsfx
02-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know if I need to apply for a PPL licence to allow minded children to watch TV in my home? (Limited and with parents consent of course) ;)
If so, how much is it and how do I obtain?
TIA x

Becci26
03-04-2014, 05:42 AM
I have no idea sorry but when I first read it i thought you meant "Private Pilots Licence", not sure we need to get one of those, they cost thousands haha!

JKL
03-04-2014, 07:12 AM
I shouldn't think so as you are still within your own home. Only my thoughts but as long as you have a tv license you should be fine

sarah707
03-04-2014, 07:17 AM
No - we have had it confirmed by PPL :D

PPL Guidance (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/pplguidance.html)

leahsfx
03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
I have no idea sorry but when I first read it i thought you meant "Private Pilots Licence", not sure we need to get one of those, they cost thousands haha!

Haha! I'd hope not, I hate heights. x

leahsfx
03-04-2014, 07:33 AM
No - we have had it confirmed by PPL :D PPL Guidance (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/pplguidance.html)

:) Thanks x

rickysmiths
03-04-2014, 08:01 AM
No - we have had it confirmed by PPL :D

PPL Guidance (http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/pplguidance.html)

Does this paragraph not indicate that the use of a TV to entertain the children would require a licence? It is very ambiguous.

A PPL licence would be applicable if you are using music to entertain or soothe children whom
you are paid to care for in your home. This may also apply if you use the television to entertain
them. In this instance, PPL would consider your property to be a place of business.

leahsfx
03-04-2014, 08:14 AM
Does this paragraph not indicate that the use of a TV to entertain the children would require a licence? It is very ambiguous. A PPL licence would be applicable if you are using music to entertain or soothe children whom you are paid to care for in your home. This may also apply if you use the television to entertain them. In this instance, PPL would consider your property to be a place of business.

I read it as that too :/ quite confusing really. I have emailed to confirm

JKL
03-04-2014, 09:19 AM
The second point states "PPL chooses not to license the use of its repertoire in a childminder’s home for this purpose." Which I'm reading to mean that childminders do not need a PPL license

leahsfx
03-04-2014, 07:39 PM
I emailed them to confirm and this is their reply...

Thank you for your email.

In regards to your query, you would fall under our Background Music Tariff- Factories & Offices, which is calculated by the audible area in square metres where music is played. I have attached a copy of this tariff for your consideration.

If you would like to proceed with your application, please respond back to this email with the following information:

- Correspondence address
- Licence start date
- Audible area in square metres where music is played
- Contact telephone number

If you should have any further queries , please do not hesitate to contact us on the number below.

(

Tariff attached)

MessybutHappy
03-04-2014, 07:47 PM
I too am stil confused! And more than a little worried...

sarah707
04-04-2014, 08:25 AM
Noooooo! I spent hours and hours and hours working with Pacey and PPL to get this sorted out a few years ago!

Childminders do NOT need to register with PPL.

We use music for educational purposes ... full stop :D

leahsfx
04-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Noooooo! I spent hours and hours and hours working with Pacey and PPL to get this sorted out a few years ago! Childminders do NOT need to register with PPL. We use music for educational purposes ... full stop :D

I have no idea why they said that to me then. :/
Even more confused now lol

rickysmiths
04-04-2014, 11:50 AM
You have to agree Sarah the document you put the link to and I quoted from is confusing even though I know you spent a long time on it a few years ago. It does not to me specifically state that childminders are exempt totally. It is clear from their response they are still not clear about it either sadly.

sarah707
05-04-2014, 08:06 AM
You have to agree Sarah the document you put the link to and I quoted from is confusing even though I know you spent a long time on it a few years ago. It does not to me specifically state that childminders are exempt totally. It is clear from their response they are still not clear about it either sadly.

Verbally it was 'no'.

On paper that was the closest we were getting to 'no' :rolleyes:

Why stir up a hornet's nest? x

MessybutHappy
05-04-2014, 02:17 PM
That was my thought, it's not clear, but if Sarah707 has done all that work and believes its a no, that's good enough for me!

leahsfx
05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
Hope I haven't stirred up anything. I read the link previously and only enquired as I wasn't sure and didn't want to do anything wrong.