PDA

View Full Version : Childminder to nanny

child_friendly
02-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Hi
I haven't been on here in a while...but here goes.
I am a registered childminder and have been since 2012 but since being registered I haven't had any minded children due to low demand where I use to live and since moving in Oct and have a landlord that won't let me childmind! I know, how frustrating!! Anyway, I have just received a message from a parent who wants me to mind in their home at the weekends on a regular basis. I have told them it won't be classed as childminding, but being a nanny which I also said I would have to look into as don't know anything about and what I would need to do. I have two young children of my own so have told them I would be bringing my children. I am just waiting for a reply. While I wait..........
I wondered if someone could give me some information on becoming a nanny and what I would need to do. I am registered on both registers and want to keep my registration as am hoping to move again to a house that I can childmind in (hopefully by the end of this year). Has anyone been a childminder and then gone into becoming a nanny?
If I became a nanny would I be able to change back to a childminder quite easily?? See you can tell I don't know anything about it, lol.
If you could help that would be great.

loocyloo
02-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I 'think' you will just need to contact Ofsted about becoming a 'home childcarer' so that the parents can use your EY number to access any tax credits or vouchers.

as a nanny, your employers would be liable for paying your tax & national insurance, but if you were to be self employed and invoice them for care provided, then you would be liable for your own tax. as a nanny though you wouldn't get the tax benefits that childminders get such as 10% wear & tear, and i'm not sure who it goes about claiming mileage etc.

there is definitely someone on the forum who was a childminder and has recently started working as a nanny, so hopefully she will be along soon and can give you some advice. if I could remember who it was, i'd let you know!

good luck x

amelia lilly
03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
you just ring ofsted tell them the addresse your working from but if u have'nt looked after children in your home after 3 years then your registration goes and you will have to do the registration process again which would prob mean doing maths and english and getting grade c or above that happens from september so it would'nt be easy to just go back too.