PDA

View Full Version : Childminder Holiday/ Closure: to charge or not to charge, that is the question!

loobyloos74
02-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Hi

I'm new to this forum so please bear with me. I have been childminding for 8 years and I am still trying to get the business side of it right (I'm a bit soft!) I employ a full time assistant and a part time assistant who by law are entitled to between 12- 23 days paid leave a year. When I close I don't charge parents/carers but when parents/carers take holiday I charge full fee. All parents/carers know my holiday dates at least 12 months in advance. For the last 8 years I have taken about 2.5 weeks off a year, plus had 2 babies and had no maternity leave because I can't afford to close as I am not earning but still having to pay wages. When I do close my staff take their holidays too as this is the easiest solution but expensive.

How can I make it fair on my parents/carers, afford to pay holiday pay and take holiday myself. Is any one else in this situation? or does anyone have any ideas. By the way I don't have thousands of mindees as it may sound, most days we look after 8-9 with 2 being my own. (I am not good at saying no either but I am trying to downsize this September to 6 as one of my children start school!) I need advice as I really want to take more holiday but I am finding it increasingly difficult to pay wages (approx £2000 a year) out of my own pocket when I am not actually earning myself.

Please please help

Thanks

smurfette
02-04-2014, 04:00 PM
Sounds like you might be better off without assistants or just with one.. I had my own business distributing baby products and towards the end I wasn't getting any wages.. Is it worth killing yourself and the wear and tear on your house when you aren't making anything?