PDA

View Full Version : Querying pricing policy

gef918
02-04-2014, 11:25 AM
Have a mum who wants me to look after her lo for a few hours a day (max 4 hours). Her partner works shifts, so she may need me 1 - 5 days per week. She is therefore taking up a full weeks space. I had a good think about what I would be prepared to accept for the space and told her minimum £80 per week. Initially she said okay, but has now asked me whether I can supply lunch for free (I currently charge £1.50 or ask parents to supply packed lunch). She has pointed out that sometimes she may only need me for 4-8 hours in a week. Am I being unreasonable if I say no? The price I gave her really is the minimum I'm prepared to accept and supplying lunch would reduce my net income for that space. However, I can see her point of view too.

Really not sure what to do :(

AliceK
02-04-2014, 11:29 AM
No don't give in, you are not being mean. Think long and hard before you agree to this. I have ended up with ALL shift workers and do a similar thing but I am losing out on a HUGE amount of income. If she is paying you £80 pw you are potentially losing over £100 pw by taking her on, that's a lot of money per month to lose. Stick to your guns :thumbsup: Tell her those are your terms or she can take the chance and do adhoc but there is then no guarantee that a space will be available when she needs it.

xxx

samb
02-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Are you having to hold open a full time place for her? If so £80 is a bargain! Is she doesn't want to pay the lunch fee remind her she doesn't have to- she can provide her own instead.

Mouse
02-04-2014, 11:47 AM
I always explain to parents that they pay me for the childminding space to be available for their child, not for the hours I work.

I would tell your mum the same thing. Explain that you are keeping the childminding space available for the whole week, so only charging £80 is actually a very good deal for her. The amount you charge reflects the hours you keep free for her child, not the number of hours her child attends.

Have you specified how many hours a week she can have for her £80 and how/when she would have to pay more than that? I would be very clear that they could have up to a certain number of hours a week, then anything over that has to be paid for. You don;t want to find they're suddenly bringing lo more & more often, but you're getting no extra for it.

gef918
02-04-2014, 12:09 PM
I always explain to parents that they pay me for the childminding space to be available for their child, not for the hours I work.

I would tell your mum the same thing. Explain that you are keeping the childminding space available for the whole week, so only charging £80 is actually a very good deal for her. The amount you charge reflects the hours you keep free for her child, not the number of hours her child attends.

Have you specified how many hours a week she can have for her £80 and how/when she would have to pay more than that? I would be very clear that they could have up to a certain number of hours a week, then anything over that has to be paid for. You don;t want to find they're suddenly bringing lo more & more often, but you're getting no extra for it.

Thanks Mouse, that is the way I see it, but wasn't sure how to explain it.

Yes, I've specified minimum 16 hours per week, so that shouldn't be a problem... I hope.

Already regretting the deal I offered to be honest. Have a parent coming round to meet me tonight who also wants a full time space (have 2 vacancies at the moment) and would pay £160 per week. Starting to look at the shift worker as £80 lost rather than £80 gained each week :( Don't want to start looking after this child and be thinking I'm not charging enough and parent thinking I'm charging too much :(

loocyloo
02-04-2014, 12:20 PM
Tell first mum the deal is £80 week plus £ for meals ( or a pack up ) for up to16 hrs. If she quibbles say you are giving her a good deal because it should be £x.
Good luck with 2nd mum.
Look on it as being able to have free days or maybe an ad hoc child to take the rest.

X

Mouse
02-04-2014, 12:25 PM
Thanks Mouse, that is the way I see it, but wasn't sure how to explain it.

Yes, I've specified minimum 16 hours per week, so that shouldn't be a problem... I hope.

Already regretting the deal I offered to be honest. Have a parent coming round to meet me tonight who also wants a full time space (have 2 vacancies at the moment) and would pay £160 per week. Starting to look at the shift worker as £80 lost rather than £80 gained each week :( Don't want to start looking after this child and be thinking I'm not charging enough and parent thinking I'm charging too much :(

It's tricky, isn't it?

Have they actually signed contracts yet, or is it still in the initial stages? If you stick to your guns you might find they look elsewhere anyway. If you haven't signed contracts I suppose you could always get out of it now, or you could tell parents that you can do the hours for now, but may have to reassess the situation if you have another enquiry for full time work.

Whatever you do though, I would stress to the parents that that you are already losing out on £80 a week (£320 a month!!) by agreeing to this contract. If they know that, they can hardly start quibbling about a few pounds a week for lunch.

gef918
02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
Tell first mum the deal is £80 week plus £ for meals ( or a pack up ) for up to16 hrs. If she quibbles say you are giving her a good deal because it should be £x.
Good luck with 2nd mum.
Look on it as being able to have free days or maybe an ad hoc child to take the rest.

X

Thanks. I did make the deal with mum 1, because it would allow me to have extra school children (although, not sure I want schoolies at the moment) and/or finish early some days.

I will stick to my guns and look at the positives :)

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

gef918
02-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Sent mum an e-mail explaining my position. Will wait and see if she still wants me.

wee_elf
02-04-2014, 05:53 PM
I hope she can see where you are coming from and what a good deal she is getting! :)

gef918
03-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Parent contacted me today. She's going to look for someone else.

Feeling relieved and decided not to offer such a good deal again :)

Emra81
03-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Phew! I reckon she'll be back though, once she realises how much other people want to charge her for the hours she potentially needs!

danemi1
10-04-2014, 08:22 AM
Must admit I'm not looking forward to this side of things....did it all sort out?

gef918
11-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Parent has been logging into childcare.co.uk every day since I met her. I also advertised her requirements to local childminders to see if they would/could offer a better deal. No-one was willing to do it. Glad I'm going on holiday next week, because I'm half expecting a phone call...

gef918
22-04-2014, 12:59 PM
Must admit I'm not looking forward to this side of things....did it all sort out?

Update. Parent found another minder. However her friend is looking for a minder and she highly recommended me! Nice to know there are no hard feelings and I may get a better contract:)

loocyloo
22-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Update. Parent found another minder. However her friend is looking for a minder and she highly recommended me! Nice to know there are no hard feelings and I may get a better contract:)

That's nice.

Good luck x

wee_elf
22-04-2014, 07:10 PM
that's nice :)