PDA

View Full Version : Registering with Ofsted - where to start?

toni8500
02-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have just completed my briefing sessions with the council, first aid, child protection and food safety courses. So technically I am ready to start the registration process - however, I haven't a clue where to start. I'm so confused, at our briefing session, we were told to apply to register with Ofsted and they would send us the details to apply for our DBS - but on the Ofsted website they are saying to obtain the DBS before applying to Ofsted.
I have tried to have a look at the DBS but that's saying to apply with the reference code from Capita, through the Ofsted website! but how do i get this if i haven't got the DBS!!
i just seem to be going round in circles and haven't a clue where i need to start or what i even need to do!!!

Has anyone else had a similar problem - or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks

amyp
02-04-2014, 12:34 PM
The code is OFSTEDA. But you don't need to complete one before the other as they both take a while. So start both. Just go through the steps on ofsteds site. Good luck!

Vikki5531
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Hi,

I'm currently going through the registration process at the moment.

As of Feb this year, you now need to have your DBS certificate before you can apply to Ofsted.

If you go on the following link: http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/

You need to enter ofstedp and leave the password blank.

Let me know if you need any further help xx

toni8500
02-04-2014, 02:42 PM
Thanks both, I should have really looked into more! i got scared!

Thanks, i'll give that a go and start them both.

Thanks again!

marlee1986
02-04-2014, 03:28 PM
Hi,

I'm currently going through the registration process at the moment.

As of Feb this year, you now need to have your DBS certificate before you can apply to Ofsted.

If you go on the following link: Ofsted DBS Application - Step One (http://ofsteddbsapplication.co.uk/)

You need to enter ofstedp and leave the password blank.

Let me know if you need any further help xx

SORRY to hijack your post
hi vikki, i was a childminder a few years ago and now re- registering, my infomation evening is 28th april 2014 do i have to wait to attened the pre-reg how soon can i start our dsb checks plz x

Vikki5531
02-04-2014, 03:35 PM
SORRY to hijack your post hi vikki, i was a childminder a few years ago and now re- registering, my infomation evening is 28th april 2014 do i have to wait to attened the pre-reg how soon can i start our dsb checks plz x

Hi,

I attended the 6 week LA course and was advised not to apply for the DBS incase we didn't pass the course, so I waited.

Looking back, I wish I had applied for the DBS whilst I was on the course as it takes a while (mine took 3 weeks and my Partners has taken 4 weeks and we're still waiting for his DBS certificate). I can't apply to Ofsted until I receive his DBS certificate. I have heard of other pre-reg members on this site who are still waiting for their DBS after 7 weeks! Xx

marlee1986
02-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Im aming to be taking children from sept just incase anything takes a bit longer, "dont pass the course" is there a test now? and also sorry looked at the link you posted, do you have to pay for your own dsb checks now ??

Seems alot has changed since i registered, kinda wish i never gave up my registration year and a half ago :(

thank you for your help x

Vikki5531
02-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Im aming to be taking children from sept just incase anything takes a bit longer, "dont pass the course" is there a test now? and also sorry looked at the link you posted, do you have to pay for your own dsb checks now ?? Seems alot has changed since i registered, kinda wish i never gave up my registration year and a half ago :( thank you for your help x

I'm under the Manchester LA and I had to attend a 6 week course with a final assessment at the end with a pass rate of 70% (it was simple).

It could be different in your area?

My briefing session was in August last year and I had to wait until January for the course to start! It has been a really long process.

Yep, you do have to pay for the DBS checks, it is £52 per person, so for myself and my Partner it cost me £104 :(

Good luck with your journey xx

amyp
02-04-2014, 05:38 PM
We had no test we just had to attend all sessions. Scary that anyone can do it!

marlee1986
02-04-2014, 05:59 PM
wow things have changed, there was no test, just attended the course first aid was free, crb checks where free, you could claim back health dec, and you got your first years insurance free and a tool kit containing contracts and etc and course was £50 its now £95, it is good they are getting tighter maybe putting up costs puts some people off x

Vikki5531
02-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Our LA estimated it would cost us around £700 to start up! I think I've spent half of that so far but I've still got loads of resources to get!

On the plus side, I have applied for the £250 start up grant which I'll hopefully receive once I'm registered xx

tonib
06-04-2014, 06:24 AM
I know exactly how you feel! Got DBS cert back quite quickly and sent form of to Ofsted. All this computer work and paperwork is alien to me :( Ofsted msg me saying my submitted form was successful and gave me an urn no. Not sure what happens now I've got that and how long it will be until I get inspected. Quite nervous about it all. X

covgalxxx
06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I know exactly how you feel! Got DBS cert back quite quickly and sent form of to Ofsted. All this computer work and paperwork is alien to me :( Ofsted msg me saying my submitted form was successful and gave me an urn no. Not sure what happens now I've got that and how long it will be until I get inspected. Quite nervous about it all. X
Just wait they do there own checks so can be awhile mine was finished in 2 months but then I did my DBS after but I know they changed that, after I got my DBS, waited 2 weeks them messaged them they said they had passed it on to a inspector even a guy rang to tell me that then a good week later she rang to make appointment ,