PDA

View Full Version : back yard ideas & safety- see pic!

sarahc88
02-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Hi all,

just in the process of registering at the moment, and thinking of what I can do to make the best use of the space available in my back yard-see pic attached. As you can see it's a bit abandoned at the mo...

I have been recommended a garden chalkboard to attach to the fence but am struggling to think of any other ideas! Luckily we back onto a massive park, but I'd really like to have a few nice outdoor options at home as well.

Also, I'm sure theres a gazillion safety issues with my garden in it's current state and so far have thought of these points:8251

* fence is secure
* are paving slabs safe?
* is raised wooden platform safe?
* bins will be kept out of the garden when children are present
* are ceramic plant pots safe?

oh deary me, so many things! HELP! :p

hectors house
02-04-2014, 10:09 AM
You could make some raised planters between the fence and the raised deck area at the back - serve 2 purposes, one gives you somewhere for children to do some digging and growing vegetables and also stops them falling off the side - I have a step down from my deck and children manage it well, I teach the lo's to turn round. I have ceramic and terracotta pots, just check them for frost damage as if they start to break the pieces can be sharp, if you had a planting area you may not need as many pots. If you have big green wheelie bins just make sure they are kept as clean as you can in the summer so they don't attract flies and wasps - children need to learn to stay away from things that aren't toys but that are in every day life. Good luck

flipflop20
02-04-2014, 06:12 PM
Sorry I'm not going to be much help, but this is a really good post, I am in the process of registering too and like u my garden is a bit neglected (well very neglected) I have a stone path outside my back door which is broken so am thinking of decking, but worried about step down - I love the planter idea.

I also love the chalkboard idea.

I am returfing as it's just weeds at the moment, but digging an area for vegetables so they can grow stuff, maybe you could use the bed u already have as a vegetable patch :)

Glitter
02-04-2014, 06:14 PM
My garden is all paved. Lots of the slabs are uneven, and I have a lot of steps. Ofsted didn't mind, they just suggested I paint a coloured line on the edge of the steps to help children see them. They told me the uneven slabs were part of everyday life and children need to assess risks for themselves.

I have lots of terracotta pots. I just make sure they are round the edges for the garden so less likely to be knocked over.