PDA

View Full Version : Attending School Events for Mindees

Jiorjiina
01-04-2014, 10:51 PM
One of my mindees (just turned 8) is playing in a school concert soon. The school sent home a flyer reminding parents, which he handed to me saying that neither of his parents are going because they are both working. He didn't make much of it, but I think he actually minds that quite a lot, so I asked him if he would mind if I came, with the two younger mindees I have that day, and he seemed a lot happier (even though he's too cool now to show it! ;)).

I think he's been struggling a bit with a complicated home situation so it would be really nice for him to have someone there to hear him play and support him.

Am I overstepping any boundaries here? Has anyone else been to a mindees school function instead of their parents?

lisbet
01-04-2014, 11:15 PM
I haven't been in that situation myself, but I can't see that it would be overstepping the mark. I think it would be a benefit, for the child and for the parents x

greanan
02-04-2014, 06:35 AM
I've been to a few things when parents when parents haven't been able to get time off. I'd go if you could x

angeldelight
02-04-2014, 06:41 AM
I think it's a really lovely thoughtful idea and I bet he's really happy

I've been to things in the past ....maybe if you just mention to parents that you could go if they can not

Enjoy

Angel xx

QualityCare
02-04-2014, 07:17 AM
I have always gone to school events with minded children if parents cannot attend, l always say to parents that l will go if any other family member cannot.

Nicola Carlyle
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
We attend family assemblies and class cake sales as well as sports day and a our children love it. We will also be going to the school plays and nativitys this year as they are more able to sit better. I think its a great idea. x

tess1981
02-04-2014, 07:50 AM
I have attended mindees play at Christmas and end of term parents are invited in for raffles or prizes being given or they get to show the poems before the feis so as I do the collection I go in and sit to watch. Be as proud as punch if my lo gets something. Sadly these lo's hae moved on and I don't mind them any more :(

wee_elf
02-04-2014, 06:55 PM
I think as long as the parents know it is a absolutely lovely thing to do :)

FussyElmo
02-04-2014, 08:31 PM
I go to merit assembly every other week. Mindees mum tells her fussy will be there because she knows she cant be

loocyloo
03-04-2014, 12:32 PM
my parents all know that I go to things at our primary school, usually whether or not mindees parents can go, as LO enjoy seeing the older mindees ( and my own children ). we do class assemblies, cake sales, coffee mornings, plays, music events ... all sorts! I also attend what I can of events at assorted nurseries ( I don't drop or collect so don't usually go ) such as sports day.

I usually tell parents I am going, or if a mindee says mum can't go, then I say I will be there, but sometimes I forget to mention it! and just see them there!