PDA

View Full Version : looking after children for no more than 2 hours not registered childminder

marlee1986
01-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Hi all, so im in the process of re-registering, but where we love there have been alot of new houses built and the call for childcare is huge all nursery are full.

Ive been approached by a few mums at school as in general conversation said i was a child minder before we moved.

ive been asked to have 2 girls for 2 hours after school, we have discussed nanny-ing but i dont really want to take my 3 from my house after school.

anyway my question is if i have them for no longer than 2 hours and is paid is this wrong, as i know anything longer than 2 hours and paid in any way is illegal, just wondered thank you

munch149
01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
As far as I see it you should be fine but I don't know all the legalities so will watch with interest

hectors house
01-04-2014, 11:40 AM
You are allowed to look after for children for up to 2 hours for financial reward without being registered - this is being increased to 3 hours from Sept (it was passed in the New Children's Bill 3 weeks ago) - you would still have declare this income to the Inland Revenue but wouldn't need to be Ofsted registered to do it - think this will be opening up a HUGE loophole for people to offer before and after school care without any qualifications, liability insurance, first aid qualifications and they won't have to obey any ratios if they don't have to be Ofsted registered! (Not including you Marlee as you are in process of re-registering).

marlee1986
01-04-2014, 11:58 AM
You are allowed to look after for children for up to 2 hours for financial reward without being registered - this is being increased to 3 hours from Sept (it was passed in the New Children's Bill 3 weeks ago) - you would still have declare this income to the Inland Revenue but wouldn't need to be Ofsted registered to do it - think this will be opening up a HUGE loophole for people to offer before and after school care without any qualifications, liability insurance, first aid qualifications and they won't have to obey any ratios if they don't have to be Ofsted registered! (Not including you Marlee as you are in process of re-registering).

Thank you for your reply, if it was not allowed then i wouldn't even consider it, and im booked on my course for the 28th april :) that does like you say thou open up a huge loop hole for unregistered childminders for before and after school care, hopefully they put something in place that says they must have insurance and first aid.
can some one point me in the direction on how to declare it, do i just put down as other: paid work ? thanks

yummyripples
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
I am wondering how this affects assistants. I have my husband registered as my assistant. He is not first aid trained so I can't leave him when I do the school run which I would love to do.
I am not going to but the ruling of being able to look after someone elses child must surely cause a loophole in the assistant rule. For instance I could not charge my parents between half eight and half nine & again between 3 and 4. They could pay my husband instead. In law this must be allowed? Or am I deluding myself? I just don't see the difference