PDA

View Full Version : D & V advice please

sarah707
30-03-2014, 05:14 PM
A member needs our support and advice please x

I'm going to have to close Monday and Tuesday of next week having been closed all last week :( My ds has d&v.

have you ever had to close for over a week due to d&v as I'd like to know I'm not alone, it's been going on so long, dds isn't unwell, but keeps being unwell every 24 hours!

thank you x

sing-low
30-03-2014, 05:23 PM
How annoying for you! I haven't had to do this myself so no advice really. Just sending hugs for you.

lisbet
30-03-2014, 05:52 PM
:group hug: A friend's LO had a stomach bug that 'stopped and started' like this. Hope your DS is well again very soon x

shortstuff
30-03-2014, 06:13 PM
Sorry I havent had the same situation so cant offer any advice. Has the cm sought medical advice as when it goes on for this long there could be something underlying?

samb
30-03-2014, 06:20 PM
Almost but as ds was fine in himself just 1 runny bum a day I took to dr and he said often little ones get a dairy intolerance after a stomach bug so to not give dairy for 48 hours after diarrhoea. It worked and now am careful to avoid dairy with him if he is loose - so far so good- 3 years on

hectors house
30-03-2014, 06:36 PM
A member needs our support and advice please x

I'm going to have to close Monday and Tuesday of next week having been closed all last week :( My ds has d&v.

have you ever had to close for over a week due to d&v as I'd like to know I'm not alone, it's been going on so long, dds isn't unwell, but keeps being unwell every 24 hours!

thank you x

How old is your son - if he was old enough to stay in his room and rest and take himself to the toilet to be ill, then I would open but if he still needs you to be with him while he is sick then you will have to close again.

One of my mindees a few weeks ago was sick on a Wednesday night, then Friday night, then Sunday night - was perfectly ok during the day and was only ever sick in bed, sometimes after children have had a sickness bug you need to keep their meals to light foods that are easy to digest as they haven't got any stomach enzynes left to break them down.

I would seek medical advice if your son has had S & D for over a week though and would be giving him something like dioralyte to keep him hydrated.

loocyloo
30-03-2014, 07:00 PM
My friends dd had a tummy bug and was ill with d&v for over a week. She lost alot of weight and drs said she had lost the lining of her stomach and so had to mainly have fruit and veg with no dairy or gluten for several weeks. I used to make her a Swiss roll cake with gluten free flour and I think it was pretty much all she ate for a few days as it helped give her some energy.
I would visit the drs and ask for advice.
Thinking of you and your family.

Simona
31-03-2014, 07:11 AM
I am rather puzzled by this post
Unless I am wrong vomiting and diarrhoea should only really last for 2/3 days... could it be Norovirus? but it is really not winter now so maybe it could be something more serious

After 2 days medical advice has to be sought because V&D can have serious implications...it that is what it is

Hope that helps but a week is a very long time ...please seek professional support and advice ASAP

hectors house
31-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I had a stomach bug a couple of Christmas ago and I couldn't keep anything down other than very light snacks or half a cup of diluted soup for over 2 months - I went to doctors, had blood tests down, ultra sounds etc, was very dehydrated and lost over a stone in weight - I carried on working as I didn't still have an actual sickness bug it was just that my stomach couldn't cope with too much food - I was due to have a colonoscopy but cancelled it as I started to feel better and could eat more, I was worried that the medicines you have to take to completely purge everything from stomach could upset the balance of stomach enzymes again.

I would take this child to doctor as could be campyabacter - my blood tests didn't show it as I left it too late to go to doctors (as they were shut as over Xmas), but they gave me 2 lots of anti biotics to treat it anyway.

sarah707
31-03-2014, 02:37 PM
Our member would like me to thank you all for your lovely supportive posts and tips xx