PDA

View Full Version : Had anyone made major changes to their setting?

Shamai
30-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone - I am thinking of having a revamp of my childcare service to hopefully make it appeal to the age bracket of children I love working with. I basically enjoy working with babies and children up to 3 years. I currently have before and after school children age 5+ - they are so tired after school, they do not enjoy any activities I set up or rush through them so they can simply play/chill out. Meal times are a headache as their table manners leave alot to be desired eg. chewing with their mouths open, eating with their fingers or turning their nose up at what I've cooked and its really beginning to get me down. I am fed up with the sound of my own voice ("have you washed your hands after going to the toilet", "can you use your knife and fork" etc. etc.) and come the weekend I have no patience for my own DD5.

I currently have two part-time families - one brother (18mo) and sister (4mo) and a 1yo boy and I really look forward to the days they are coming as I can get stuck into the EYFS, see how they are developing and be with them as they grow - they are so enthusiastic when you sit and play with them or show them new ideas. I know some people will think I'm mad as they are hard work but I feel like I'm doing a worthwhile job instead of just "child-sitting".

I'm feeling a bit down about it all so wondered if you lovely lot could tell me if you've made any significant changes to your setting so that it suited your lifestyle/interests - instead of working around everyone else's needs most of the time and also how was it received by parents? In an ideal world I'd love to stop providing an evening meal, work with the 0-3 age range and finish at 5.30/6pm - I will probably lose one family for definite if I did this but I'm at the stage where I am not that bothered.

Sorry for rambling - I hope someone can relate to this and give me some much needed advice. x

The Juggler
30-03-2014, 05:03 PM
i first of all dropped a day a week when I started my degree. Then I decided to work mostly term time only (never managed totally but always worked 2 days only in hols). Then naturally as people left I stopped doing dinners (:clapping::clapping::clapping:) then I more or less stopped having older after school children, just had my daytimers, my own kids and 1 child for half hour - that was brilliant.

hectors house
30-03-2014, 05:30 PM
I would say that from September won't be looking after any school aged children anymore (if you can't wait that long, make it start of school holidays) - hopefully the 0-5 age range that you have mostly had from babies will suit you better and you can train them to like your food.

If you cut your age range down to aged 3, then you will have to say goodbye to some of your lo's in a year or so - I mostly have children from 8 - 10 months (depending on when mum goes back to work) and they stay until they go to school (mostly combining me with Nursery by the end) - I don't do school or Nursery runs so they come to me whole days or go the Nursery whole days.

jadavi
30-03-2014, 06:07 PM
Same here

I took a day back when it became possible so now only work four days.
I decided against doing a cooked tea after I heard that Ofsted liked them to eat with their parents... So now I only offer sandwiches.
In September I won't be doing any schoolies as the after school club will be used. I'll have them in the hols but that's fine.

I may even claw back another day if an opportunity arises and work a three day week with little ones only in term time... Bliss!

Shamai
30-03-2014, 06:32 PM
i first of all dropped a day a week when I started my degree. Then I decided to work mostly term time only (never managed totally but always worked 2 days only in hols). Then naturally as people left I stopped doing dinners (:clapping::clapping::clapping:) then I more or less stopped having older after school children, just had my daytimers, my own kids and 1 child for half hour - that was brilliant.

I still have to do the school run for my own DD but the thought of no after schoolers does sound so appealing! x

tess1981
30-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I have never offered a cooked tea. I do breakfast morning snack cooked lunch and afternoon snack. I feel it's a parents job to cook the children dinner at home. After afternoon snack the kitchen is closed and no more food prepared I need to start winding down for home times collections start at 4.30

Shamai
30-03-2014, 06:36 PM
I would say that from September won't be looking after any school aged children anymore (if you can't wait that long, make it start of school holidays) - hopefully the 0-5 age range that you have mostly had from babies will suit you better and you can train them to like your food.

If you cut your age range down to aged 3, then you will have to say goodbye to some of your lo's in a year or so - I mostly have children from 8 - 10 months (depending on when mum goes back to work) and they stay until they go to school (mostly combining me with Nursery by the end) - I don't do school or Nursery runs so they come to me whole days or go the Nursery whole days.

That sounds a good idea - not to do nursery runs - I am in a battle with one parent at the mo who does not want to pay me for 3 hours child is at nursery from September even tho I will be dropping off and collecting. Most of the time my food gets the thumbs up but they have such bad habits at home and I refuse to give them nuggets and chips! Spending time and money cooking a fresh meal to have it picked apart does my head in! Many thanks for your help.

Shamai
30-03-2014, 06:41 PM
I have never offered a cooked tea. I do breakfast morning snack cooked lunch and afternoon snack. I feel it's a parents job to cook the children dinner at home. After afternoon snack the kitchen is closed and no more food prepared I need to start winding down for home times collections start at 4.30

All the 5yo+ children have school dinners but parents still want them to eat a proper meal with me. My hours are currently 7.30 to 6.00 but one parents collects at 6.15 due to their train times which I do not charge for. I may offer a sandwich at 5pm with fruit and yoghurt as a compromise?? They all go home and eat again anyway!!

hectors house
30-03-2014, 06:46 PM
All the 5yo+ children have school dinners but parents still want them to eat a proper meal with me. My hours are currently 7.30 to 6.00 but one parents collects at 6.15 due to their train times which I do not charge for. I may offer a sandwich at 5pm with fruit and yoghurt as a compromise?? They all go home and eat again anyway!!

Maybe because the children know that they get more food when they get home this is the reason why they don't make more of an effort to eat the food you have provided - if they had choice between - your tasty cottage pie and going to bed hungry they may not be so picky, but whilst parents are prepared to feed them again you can never win.

tess1981
30-03-2014, 09:14 PM

That sounds like a good compromise.
If they have dinner at school they don't really eat another one with me anyway si I found it was a waste. A good sized snack kept them going until hone time. My last one normally leaves at 5 45 at which time I like to sit down with my children to eat.. I don't want to share our meal time with the mindees it's too stressful if they are young and fussing at the table

Polly2
31-03-2014, 08:02 AM
I don't do dinners and I have cut down to 4 days. My advice would be to DO IT! You will lose the joy otherwise :thumbsup:

tess1981
31-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Just wondering what would you do if a parent who works Monday to Friday needs a space are you willing to go back up to 5 days? I was working 4 days until a parent needed 5 days and I went back to 5 days a week. Not too many enquires lately so gladly took the work on.
Try small changes first such as no evening meal that will automatically take some pressure off.