PDA

View Full Version : first payment late

toddlers896
29-03-2014, 02:52 PM
first payment is late. I don't want to be too harsh but we have a 4 week settling period and ime contemplating ending the contract as I have a bad feeling. Its only one morning a week, term time only and hardly seems worth the hassle of having to chase payment. would you do same?

Mouse
29-03-2014, 03:08 PM
Have you spoken to parents about why they haven't paid? If it's their first payment are you sure they know when it needs to be done by?

I would phone them up, or text them if you don't want to phone, and remind them that payment is due. I wouldn't necessarily contemplate giving notice just because the first payment is late. I would give them chance to pay it & get into the routine of paying on time.

If though you have chased it and they haven't replied, or if they are giving unlikely excuses, I would consider giving notice before the bill had chance to increase.

shortstuff
29-03-2014, 04:32 PM
As mouse said it might just be an oversight on their part. Ive had a couple of mums who have done this. I asked if they could check the ac no they paid the funds to as I hadnt recvd it. They then admitted forgetting. I think it helped that I asked in a way that couldn't be construed as pushy.

hectors house
29-03-2014, 06:15 PM
I would chase it straight away - it may only be one day a week but that means that the bill isn't very much for them to find to pay it on time. Write a new policy regarding late fees and tell these parents that if they can't be trusted to pay in arrears, they will have to pay in advance.

blue bear
30-03-2014, 07:31 AM
Only you know why you have that gut feeling, goodness I wish I'd followed it a few times.
Do you want to terminate? Is the none payment the straw that broke the camels back so to speak and there are a number of other issues?

With a newbie I normally remind them the week before and if they don't pay on the day then it's one more chance and you are out.do you want to ring them and chase or have you just had enough?

KatieFS
30-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Agreed! If every month you have to spend your own time chasing payment it isn't worth it!

I'd send text reminding if payment date. May be a one off, might be a mistake in one way or another. If it happens again I'd be having a more formal conversation with parents, then it's last chance.

Unless there is another reason you're feeling like its not worth it????

bunyip
30-03-2014, 09:39 AM
I'd send them an immediate reminder that the fee is late, and add the late payment fee to the bill. (You do have a late payment fee in the contract, don't you?)

State that the late payment fee will be waived on this occasion, if they pay this week. If they fail to pay, the late payment fee will remain and grow and care will be withdrawn (you do have a no fee = no care clause, don't you?)

Simona
30-03-2014, 10:14 AM
first payment is late. I don't want to be too harsh but we have a 4 week settling period and ime contemplating ending the contract as I have a bad feeling. Its only one morning a week, term time only and hardly seems worth the hassle of having to chase payment. would you do same?

After a few days you should send a 'reminder' ...make sure reminder is well written across the invoice

It is worth considering putting a small clause in your contract: parent must inform the CM if, for any reasons, fees will be paid late to avoid the penalty charge for late payment being applied

Good luck

toddlers896
30-03-2014, 05:13 PM
I signed contracts 3 weeks ago which was for one morning a week (£20 a time) and explained all my terms and conditions. Told them it will be payment in advance as two people have let me down and she said yes that's no problem. I told her it must be cash or bank transfer and explained I charge £5 per day for late payment. Also gave her my policies to read. Was told she probably wont read them as she doesn't have time for this (at least she was honest ha ha) and then on the first morning she turned up with a cheque for £20 and I clearly invoiced her for £40. I sent an email explaining I will accept this cheque but wont again, asked her if she needs me for schools hols and to get back to me by the Monday as I will be doing my invoices for April and also said she was £20 short which will be added to Aprils invoice. Anyway, no reply so I had to chase her so I could get my invoices done to which she replied sorry I've been really busy. Invoiced her for April and am still awaiting payment. I just know deep down that I am constantly going to be chasing her up and its not worth it for a term time only contract 2 hrs a week. I don't want to act hastily and get rid of her as I will give myself a bad reputation but I find it very frustrating when parents like this wont play ball. My normal hours are 8am start and I am starting at 6.45 for her so surely she can pay me on time and answer my emails. it really bugs me

hectors house
30-03-2014, 05:16 PM
I signed contracts 3 weeks ago which was for one morning a week (£20 a time) and explained all my terms and conditions. Told them it will be payment in advance as two people have let me down and she said yes that's no problem. I told her it must be cash or bank transfer and explained I charge £5 per day for late payment. Also gave her my policies to read. Was told she probably wont read them as she doesn't have time for this (at least she was honest ha ha) and then on the first morning she turned up with a cheque for £20 and I clearly invoiced her for £40. I sent an email explaining I will accept this cheque but wont again, asked her if she needs me for schools hols and to get back to me by the Monday as I will be doing my invoices for April and also said she was £20 short which will be added to Aprils invoice. Anyway, no reply so I had to chase her so I could get my invoices done to which she replied sorry I've been really busy. Invoiced her for April and am still awaiting payment. I just know deep down that I am constantly going to be chasing her up and its not worth it for a term time only contract 2 hrs a week. I don't want to act hastily and get rid of her as I will give myself a bad reputation but I find it very frustrating when parents like this wont play ball. My normal hours are 8am start and I am starting at 6.45 for her so surely she can pay me on time and answer my emails. it really bugs me

It's not worth the stress for such a small amount - tell her pay amount in full or find someone else who will start work at that unearthly time - no care this week until she has paid what she owes. Good luck

smurfette
30-03-2014, 08:04 PM
Yes can see why you are annoyed , sounds like she doesn't think paying on time or abiding by your policies are important, you are just a 'drop in' for her child.. Good advice above xx

toddlers896
31-03-2014, 07:47 AM
Aaah why do husbands not understand. Really getting annoyed with all this now. Still no reply from my texts from last night and to top it off my husband is telling me I get too involved in this job and if it was him he would just let the late payment be added on as it's extra for me.tried to explain that I will then be well out of pocket if they don't pay and he said thought pacey get your money back. I explained only if it's over 100 and he got really annoyed with me and said why have contracts then. It's all a load of bollocks and I need to get a proper job. Oh I am so ****** off right now all over one 2 hrs a week aaaahhh

Simona
31-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Aaah why do husbands not understand. Really getting annoyed with all this now. Still no reply from my texts from last night and to top it off my husband is telling me I get too involved in this job and if it was him he would just let the late payment be added on as it's extra for me.tried to explain that I will then be well out of pocket if they don't pay and he said thought pacey get your money back. I explained only if it's over 100 and he got really annoyed with me and said why have contracts then. It's all a load of bollocks and I need to get a proper job. Oh I am so ****** off right now all over one 2 hrs a week aaaahhh

Take a deep breath and do not stress over this
Let this month go by... then see what happens next when you invoice...stress you need to be paid on time as agreed and if that does not happen rethink the contract with a review...easier said than done...I know!