PDA

View Full Version : Introduction visits

Helpinghands
23-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Hi guys!

I had my first introduction with a parent today and I was so nervous I think it showed a bit.

The mum was a bit put off I think that I didn't have any other children or children of my own and is coming back again tomorrow with her partner.

Can anyone give me some advice as to make these visits a bit less intimidating and how I should go about doing them?

crazybones
23-07-2008, 05:55 PM
I hate visits too. After listening to advice on here I adopted a more couldnt care less attitude - not rude but more that I wasnt desperate, when I really was :blush: Anyway it seems to have worked because I have signed 4 contracts in the last month and I will be more or less full by September.

You just need to sound more confident than you actually are. Be very prepared and ask them questions as well as them asking you. Good Luck.

Helpinghands
23-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks Annie, lets see how tomorrow goes :) x

sarah707
23-07-2008, 05:58 PM
I still find it hard after 14 years, so don't be cross with yourself...

Sometimes I find myself burbling on and I think I ought to shut up but I can't... other times I forget to ask really simple questions like what the child likes doing and I kick myself when they've gone.

Tips I can give you ...

- make a list of things you want to discuss and keep referring to it so you don't forget anything;

- sit where you feel comfy, so you are as relaxed as you can be;

- think about interview techniques - don't cross your arms or legs, smile like a loon, keep eye contact, that sort of thing;

- ask lots of nice questions about the child, things that show you're interested, likes and dislikes, favourite toys etc;

-try to interact with the child if possible, so the child likes you!

Good luck tomorrow! :D

Keep yourself

Helpinghands
23-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Thats brilliant thanks...the most simple things really are the most important.

I'll get jotting! x

angeldelight
23-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Just be yourself

Hope she gets back in touch with you

Angel xx

katickles
23-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I think were all nervous - but i do agree with Annie, act like you arn't begging them to sign on the line when really you would get down on your hands & beg sometimes:laughing:

Just be as relaxed as poss & make them feel comfortable.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Helpinghands
24-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Well she never turned up!

Said that the boy was being a nightmare so didn't want to bring him.

I think she may be trying to keep me hanging until something better comes along.

Aggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I am so stressed, where are all the parents needing childcare???