PDA

View Full Version : Looking after children prior to registration

Elkie Mawdsley
26-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Hello everyone.

Just wanted to check. ....is it possible to provide paid care for someone's children in their own home prior to becoming registered, with a view to caring at my home once finalised?

Mouse
26-03-2014, 09:44 PM
You can nanny for them, but I don't know how that works with regard to them employing you (tax, NI etc).

Hopefully someone else will come along who knows.

bunyip
27-03-2014, 09:01 AM
I agree with Mouse.

Btw, I hope this doesn't sound too negative, but remember there's no guarantee of registration being approved until you've got the certificate. So you need to avoid making any contractual arrangement or even a spoken promise to mind the child at yours. Don't make the nannying part dependent upon any expectation that you'd subsequently do the CMing.

That said, I hope it all goes well and best of luck with your application. :thumbsup:

Nickidela
27-03-2014, 09:56 AM
I looked into nannying as an alternative to childminding incase I couldn't get registered as a childminder. The family do need to employ you, so they'll need to pay your tax and Ni - if you earn enough. They'll also need to pay you national minimum wage for your age. Presuming you're over 21 thats £6.31 but I believe that's going up soon. You are allowed to nanny for 2 families at one of their homes so they could split your wage between them. You don't need to be registered as a nanny unless the parents want to claim childcare vouchers. I hope that helps.