PDA

View Full Version : Going to court!!

dolly1985
25-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Hey,

I am a newly registered childminder and I start minding full time next week with 2 siblings!

I am really annoyed that I have been called to court as a witness and now I wish I had never given a statement as I have to take a days leave unpaid and I know I can claim expenses from CPS but it's not the same as I'd earn for that day!!

Have any of you guys been to court as a witness?

Basically last summer I gave a witness statement to say that I had never seen a woman living in the house next door to me (it's only foreign men in there) and it turns out whoever this lady is has been fraudulently claiming housing benefit! I am really nervous about going to court and it all feels a bit ridiculous as I haven't even been witness to an actual crime?!

Will I be cross examined??

Also I cannot afford to buy smart clothes- so am just going to turn up in jeans but I will put on a smart blouse and nice shoes!!

Ahh it's all I can think about and I don't want it distracting me from my first couple of weeks getting to know my new children!!

Thanks for reading xx

alwaysright
25-03-2014, 10:23 PM
can you not ask cps if your witness statement cannot be agreed before the court date so you dont have to attend and just read out in court?? sounds like quite a basic issue so what would they need you to be present for

dolly1985
25-03-2014, 10:35 PM
No i have asked and have been told i have to go!

Kiddleywinks
26-03-2014, 07:06 AM
You may find, once the defence are aware of all the evidence, that the defendant will change their plea to guilty and you won't have to go after all

Tealady
26-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I am assuming it's the magistrates court. Don't worry it's nothing like it is when you see court on telly.

I was called to the Magistrates court but it was cancelled a few days before as the defendant pleaded guilty.

dolly1985
26-03-2014, 01:34 PM
Yes it is a magistrates-in future I won't be such a nosey neighbour! Ha!!

caz3007
26-03-2014, 02:44 PM
My husband and a work colleague had an order to attend court due to something that happened at work, it got cancelled shortly before

jackie 7
26-03-2014, 04:48 PM
You did the right thing there are so many people who need benifits that are paid to cheats. Hope they plead guilty.

dolly1985
26-03-2014, 05:15 PM
I didnt actually call the authorities on them, someone investigating from the local authority knocked on my door and asked if I knew of a woman living next door and there has never been a woman there !! So that's all I said! Hopefully (whoever she is ) she'll just plead guilty and I won't have to go!!

kaz26
27-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Good luck it's not as bad as u think x