PDA

View Full Version : Reggio Emilia preschools...are they the best in the world?

Simona
25-03-2014, 06:31 PM
Watch this video...it is worth sharing

CNN News Report on Reggio Emilia Italy Early Childhood Schools in the US - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVv5ZL9nlgs)

Simona
26-03-2014, 07:20 AM
I wonder if anyone has found Reggio Emilia's approach in total contrast to our very own EYFS 2012?....

In the Reggio approach the 'environment' is called the third teacher....parents and carers being the other 2...so we can call them the Positive Relationships

Has anyone thought how opposite this is to our philosophy?
Our Development Matters shows the Unique Child learning and progressing in an Enabling Environment ...supported by Positive Relationships...while the Early Years Outcomes have completely removed the importance of the 2 to arrive at achievements

Any thoughts?

Mouse
26-03-2014, 09:13 AM
I've saved the link to have a look at later.

From what I have read previously I do like a lot of the ideas. It's something I keep meaning to look into on more detail.

vals
31-03-2014, 12:24 PM
a nursery near me boasts of following the Reggio approach, but from what I know - which is a lot - it doesn't work at all. It could just be this particular nursery, but I am seriously under impressed, and the children's behaviour is not good. They lack 'teaching' or 'guiding' as its all about how they think, but children won't learn if no one shows them. They don't do anything like mothers day,easter, etc as the children don't know about it so don't ask. They mostly use natural resources, which is great, but not much else. Recently all coloured paper was removed, nothing on the walls, and not much in place to teach about letters, numbers,writing etc.

amyp
31-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I think it's not to different from how we do it. Their approach could be ticked off on the eyfs. The difference is the patience the teachers have and the resources available (also the blinking weather- childcare would be so much nicer in sunshine!)

I think we all allow children to experience the world how they want to experience it. We just feed them a bit more information when they show an interest in a subject. They can't discover all the answers themselves.

Simona
31-03-2014, 01:14 PM
vals...it depends on how they see the approach and interpret it.
Those who write about it say it is difficult to transplant here but can be adapted...there is a famous nursery here...I think it is called Reflection 54 who does it very well
Reggio does not do a curriculum and all is based on 'documentation'

The EYFS 2008 had lots of reference to Reggio Emilia
The main difference is that children join the Reggio schools at 3 and leave at 6 years when they go into school...so the age is much older than our children hence the beautiful drawings ....and they have the same teachers for the 3 years who have an arts degree...lucky children when it comes to continuity

Oh..lets not forget the whole thing is fully funded by the Reggio council...parents pay nothing!

vals
31-03-2014, 08:12 PM
I can't say what I think publicly, other than don't believe everything you read.

Simona
01-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I can't say what I think publicly, other than don't believe everything you read.

Sorry...genuinely confused... I really do not understand what that means?
I have read Peter Moss, Cathy Nutbrown and many more authors who actually have visited Reggio and worked closely with its system...should I ignore them?

vals
01-04-2014, 10:38 AM
Sorry, awkward for me to say on here, but you mentioned about someone doing it well - thats what I was referring to.

Simona
01-04-2014, 08:12 PM
Sorry, awkward for me to say on here, but you mentioned about someone doing it well - thats what I was referring to.

Got you...:thumbsup: