PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Pushchair - recommendations please

Shamai
25-03-2014, 05:28 PM
Hi I need to buy a tandem pushchair as my Out n About Nipper is just too wide to be practical in my home. I can't get it through my front door (I live in a cottage so very small doorway) and I can't get it out of my gate (I have to use my neighbours drive)!

Can anyone recommend a tandem that is sturdy, not to bulky, easy to steer and suitable for a 3mo and 18mo?

Many thanks for any help x

mama2three
25-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Sorry its not a recommendation - its an avoid at all costs!
The jane powertwin looks lovely but its a really common problem for them to pull to the side , and unless your pavements are perfectly flat then it really hurts your wrists trying to keep the flippin thing from tipping. I thought it was just a problem with mine - but looking on several forums its a really common problem.

Ive recently got a mountain buggy duet - its not tandem but is much narrower than the nipper -I can get it through my particularly narrow doors whereas the nipper had to live on the doorstep during the day and carboot over night!

lollipop kid
25-03-2014, 06:27 PM
Hi, I was lucky enough to be given a Kolcraft Universal Express Rider (tandem) about 5 years ago. It's a bit ugly, but boy has it been wonderful! It's American, quite long and heavy, but folds up easily and stands happily in my hallway on its own stand. (It has never tipped over.) I also have ridiculously narrow doors (anything wider than 28 inches would not make it in my front door - little old cottage built in the 1800s).

We call my old buggy "the bus". It is really strong and sturdy, and you can still get them from Walmart (US) for less than £80. Not sure how you would get it here, but it can be done. I've had two five year olds in my bus before (round about the Royal Wedding - they were doing the royal wave! Just for a bit of fun on a quiet day, but I was amazed how well it coped!!) Rather than a buggy board, my son used to just stand on the back bar behind the second seat and was really comfortable there. (I don't do it with any of the mindees, though.)

I wouldn't part with it for anything. I use my old bus every single day. When I need three seats, I pop a Buggy Pod on it (one of the first versions of these - I haven't had any issues with it at all and even though the pod doesn't recline, the little guy who sits in it still nods off happily as it has a great 5 point harness). It's also great for shopping - I have been known to bring heavy picket fencing (10 lengths) back in my 'bus' on my child-free days!

Only the back seat in the Kolcraft reclines, so I put whoever hasn't napped yet in that seat for the school run, and they usually go off happily in it - there's loads of room. It doesn't have 5 point harnesses either, but I've put in some McLaren seat liners and thread wide ribbon around the child then it disappears around the back of each seat and ties there. They are quite secure, and safe this way - promise!

The bus turns around on a "sixpence" - it has a great turning circle, similar to a London cab, and steers well. As you can probably tell, I LOVE this buggy!!

I hope you find what you're looking for.

All the best,

L

lollipop kid
25-03-2014, 06:32 PM
I'd also say, avoid the Joovy Big Caboose. (See my separate post on it)

All the best,

L

Shamai
25-03-2014, 06:54 PM
Sorry its not a recommendation - its an avoid at all costs!
The jane powertwin looks lovely but its a really common problem for them to pull to the side , and unless your pavements are perfectly flat then it really hurts your wrists trying to keep the flippin thing from tipping. I thought it was just a problem with mine - but looking on several forums its a really common problem.

Ive recently got a mountain buggy duet - its not tandem but is much narrower than the nipper -I can get it through my particularly narrow doors whereas the nipper had to live on the doorstep during the day and carboot over night!

The mountain buggy duet looks fab but bit out of my price bracket as I only need it for two days per week at the mo. Last week both little ones fell asleep in the Nipper on school run so I had to sit on front doorstep with them until they had finished their nap :laughing: They are really light sleepers and would have woken if I lifted them indoors. Will keep an eye out for mountain buggy on Ebay - many thanks :thumbsup:

Shamai
25-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Hi, I was lucky enough to be given a Kolcraft Universal Express Rider (tandem) about 5 years ago. It's a bit ugly, but boy has it been wonderful! It's American, quite long and heavy, but folds up easily and stands happily in my hallway on its own stand. (It has never tipped over.) I also have ridiculously narrow doors (anything wider than 28 inches would not make it in my front door - little old cottage built in the 1800s).

We call my old buggy "the bus". It is really strong and sturdy, and you can still get them from Walmart (US) for less than £80. Not sure how you would get it here, but it can be done. I've had two five year olds in my bus before (round about the Royal Wedding - they were doing the royal wave! Just for a bit of fun on a quiet day, but I was amazed how well it coped!!) Rather than a buggy board, my son used to just stand on the back bar behind the second seat and was really comfortable there. (I don't do it with any of the mindees, though.)

I wouldn't part with it for anything. I use my old bus every single day. When I need three seats, I pop a Buggy Pod on it (one of the first versions of these - I haven't had any issues with it at all and even though the pod doesn't recline, the little guy who sits in it still nods off happily as it has a great 5 point harness). It's also great for shopping - I have been known to bring heavy picket fencing (10 lengths) back in my 'bus' on my child-free days!

Only the back seat in the Kolcraft reclines, so I put whoever hasn't napped yet in that seat for the school run, and they usually go off happily in it - there's loads of room. It doesn't have 5 point harnesses either, but I've put in some McLaren seat liners and thread wide ribbon around the child then it disappears around the back of each seat and ties there. They are quite secure, and safe this way - promise!

The bus turns around on a "sixpence" - it has a great turning circle, similar to a London cab, and steers well. As you can probably tell, I LOVE this buggy!!

I hope you find what you're looking for.

All the best,

L

Many thanks Lollipop Kid - the Kolcraft looks very similar to Gracco Quattro Duo - it sounds just what I need! :thumbsup: You never know one may appear on Ebay!!