PDA

View Full Version : Medical advice please!!

tomthumb
23-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Hi,

The little one I look after has come up with a rash while we were in Chessington. It appeared after I applied her suncream but seems to be only on her face. Her eyes looked red as well but could not tell wether it was because she was so tired or something else. She looks all right otherwise. Do you think I should let mum know? I'm never sure what to do when something like that happens. You don't want to worry the parents but you don't want to not tell them either. I know I would like to know if it was my child.
She is asleep now. Let me know what you think, thanks!!

Elodie XX

childminder54
23-07-2008, 01:36 PM
it could be just a heat rash see how she is when she wakes up what time is here mom due to pick here up..

veronicaxx

sarah707
23-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Was it her suncream? Did parents send it? Has she used it before?

Is she prone to allergies? Could it be to something else at the zoo?

Are her eyes still swelling or have they settled down??

Is her face swollen or just a rash?

Does she have asthma?

You need to ring mum immediately...

But if you are concerned by any of the answers to my questions then you need to ring nhs direct for urgent advice as well.

Let us know how she gets on xx

tomthumb
23-07-2008, 01:50 PM
wow Sarah, you just worried me there!
It looks like a rash. She does not have asthma or anything like that and she generally looks ok. Her eyes are really small at the best of time so it is difficult to see. I just went to check on her and she seems fine.
Mum provided the cream and I have used it before. It is normally fine. She was in the buggy the whole time we were there as she is only little and I also had my baby. Shall I send mum a text then just so that she knows?

Elodie XX

sarah707
23-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I have a son who has reactions like that and once he starts it's straight to the hospital for a nebuliser ...! That's why I was checking about the face swelling when you said swollen eyes... if the face swells, the throat might too and then you've got a non-breathing child on your hands and it can happen very quickly.

Last time ds decided to scare me witless it was a reaction to a horse ... he wasn't even in the same field :rolleyes:

I didn't mean to frighten you, it's always worth checking though.

I would let mum know ... if I was mum I would want to be given the choice of coming or not.

Hope she's ok! :D

tomthumb
23-07-2008, 02:16 PM
She just woke up and all cleared. It must have been a heat rash. I have a tendency to worry quick. My baby has had a few trips to a&e as well with asthma. (although they won't diagnose it as asthma but she has inhalers).
It is so frightening when they stop breathing, we've had it unfortunately.

Anyway she is all good so thanks for your advice, I was imagining all sorts...

Elodie XX

childminder54
23-07-2008, 02:25 PM
I thought it was that glad she is ok..

veronicaxx

Wiggly
23-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I would be always inclined to let parents know to be on safe side and cover your back. I woudl want to know if it was my child.

Wiggly
x

venus89
23-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I would certainly tell Mum what had happened - as a Mum I'd want to know.

But if the child seemed well in herself I'd not have contacted her during theday, only if she hhad the rash and seemed ill too.....

Donkey
23-07-2008, 09:07 PM
i would def tell mum and also write it in your accident/incident book thingy too. put what happened that you used cream mum provided etc etc
that way you have covered yourself

madasahatter
23-07-2008, 09:47 PM
It may be worth checking the ingredients list on the suncream. One child I looked after kept on coming up with what looked like a heat rash when I used the suncream that her mum supplied. When mum forgot to put the suncream in her bag and I used my own supply she had no reaction. When I looked into suncream contents I found out that the various forms of parabens chemicals can react with some people. My suncream had no parabens chemicals whilst the one her mum supplied did.

I would discuss it with the parents and consider trying different brands of suncream.

Bushpig
23-07-2008, 10:43 PM
I let mums know everything immediately. And if I was concerned about something I'd phone NHS Direct. Always play it safe.

A couple of months ago one of my kids had a rash appear by his eye... and it literally spread down his cheek in the next 10 mins. I phoned his mum right away, to which she replied she would come and take him to A&E, as the doctor had no appts till about 5 hours later...

He had no fever, was not distressed/disoriented etc. His main concern was that as mummy was coming to fetch him now, he would miss out on the baking we were going to do that afternoon! Bless :)

Had I been concerned I would have phoned NHS Direct immediately.

Mum arrived and off she went... turned out to be Slapped Cheek. Nothing too serious. It appeared on the other cheek the next day.

Cute thing was.. I gave him a box of baking mixture, so he and mum could bake some cookies at home that afternoon, as we doubted he'd be back for the day. And his mum said he clutched onto that box so TIGHTLY the whole way to the hospital, took it into A&E etc. too... :) He definately wanted to do his baking!!!! :laughing:

Bushpig
23-07-2008, 10:43 PM
i would def tell mum and also write it in your accident/incident book thingy too. put what happened that you used cream mum provided etc etc
that way you have covered yourself

Yip, do this! :)