PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour management 16 mo?

clare83
24-03-2014, 07:20 PM
Apart from redirection does anyone use any methods to manage behaviour? My mindee has English as his 2nd language but I think he understands as has listened preciously to requests but has decided to stop listening. He is standing on sofas and anything else he can find as well as pulling others clothes and hair.....I used time out for my own children but am not sure it's appropriate for this situation. Any pointers appreciated xx

munch149
24-03-2014, 07:41 PM
I use makati hand gestures for stop and wait which may help with understanding. I also use a thumbs up with well done to encourage good behaviour. Simple signs/gestures can help with the language barrier although they pick it up really quickly so he probably knows more than you think.

clare83
24-03-2014, 09:33 PM
I use makati hand gestures for stop and wait which may help with understanding. I also use a thumbs up with well done to encourage good behaviour. Simple signs/gestures can help with the language barrier although they pick it up really quickly so he probably knows more than you think.

Thanks for sharing. He knows exactly what i am saying as he looks and me and smiles when he is doing something he shouldn't. He is testing the boundaries to see what he can do. I don't mind a cheeky chappy but a risk of hurting himself and others is not acceptable. Can you please clarify what makati hand gestures are?

Simona
25-03-2014, 07:30 AM
I would also check with his parents to ensure you have 'shared strategies' to deal with his behaviour...it is fairly typical for that age and it needs consistency so he doesn't get confused

Makaton or any other sign language would help too as his speech will be developing and causing lots of frustration!