PDA

View Full Version : 4Children to visit Wirral and talk about impact of agencies

Simona
24-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Sue Robb CEO of 4Children is going to Wirral to talk to CMs on the impact of agencies
4Children support agencies and have been appointed by the DfE to facilitate them

Anyone here from Wirral?...if you go please feedback
This is the tweet by 4Children an hour ago

4Children ‏@4ChildrenUK · 1h
@4ChildrenUK's Sue Robb is en-route to talk to childminders in the Wirral tonight about the impact of childminding agencies on childcare

hectors house
24-03-2014, 09:13 PM
She was supposed to be doing a presentation for us at Somerset Childminding Conference but for some reason couldn't make it, so someone else from 4Children had to stand in - poor woman, it was only 2 days after the Childcare Bill was passed, she got bombarded with questions that she had no answers to.

Simona
25-03-2014, 07:33 AM
She was supposed to be doing a presentation for us at Somerset Childminding Conference but for some reason couldn't make it, so someone else from 4Children had to stand in - poor woman, it was only 2 days after the Childcare Bill was passed, she got bombarded with questions that she had no answers to.

I doubt anyone has any answers but today is the day Truss meets with the 4 associations...unless the meeting has been cancelled?
such secrecy surrounds everything it is hard to keep up...has anyone heard anything?

does anyone know who is going?

Smiley
25-03-2014, 07:59 AM
I think it's still taking place, well haven't heard otherwise! As far as I know Penny from Worcestershire is attending.

Simona
25-03-2014, 08:38 AM
I think it's still taking place, well haven't heard otherwise! As far as I know someone from Worcestershire is attending.

That has been confirmed...all we can do is wait eh? ...what's another few days or weeks compared to the last 2 years of being suspended in blissful ignorance?

rickysmiths
25-03-2014, 09:14 AM
I think it's still taking place, well haven't heard otherwise! As far as I know someone from Worcestershire is attending.

They were all on their way to London at 6am so I think there would be a murder if the woman cancelled now :rolleyes:

Mouse
25-03-2014, 10:29 AM
They were all on their way to London at 6am so I think there would be a murder if the woman cancelled now :rolleyes:

THat might solve the problem :laughing::laughing:

Kiddleywinks
25-03-2014, 11:09 AM
THat might solve the problem :laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing::clapping:
Wouldn't it just! :thumbsup:

Simona
25-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Picked this up on twitter from UKCMA

Off to Westminster again today to meet with Ms Truss MP along with representatives from PACEY, PLA, *******, Morton Michel, Trio Childcare, Early Years Training Enterprise, 4 Children and childminders Penny Webb, Jane Comeau and Julie Sussex

There is a surprise .....Morton Michel and 4 Children ??!!

rickysmiths
25-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Picked this up on twitter from UKCMA

Off to Westminster again today to meet with Ms Truss MP along with representatives from PACEY, PLA, *******, Morton Michel, Trio Childcare, Early Years Training Enterprise, 4 Children and childminders *****, Jane Comeau and Julie Sussex

There is a surprise .....Morton Michel and 4 Children ??!!

So a meeting of Childminders + and at least 3 of the organisations who have been trialing Agencies, interesting.

Yes the meeting happened and over 100 letters from childminders were handed to Mrs Truss, well her PA who was sitting next to her.:laughing: I wonder if she will read them all?

Simona
26-03-2014, 07:13 AM
So a meeting of Childminders + and at least 3 of the organisations who have been trialing Agencies, interesting.

Yes the meeting happened and over 100 letters from childminders were handed to Mrs Truss, well her PA who was sitting next to her.:laughing: I wonder if she will read them all?

Thanks Rickysmiths.....She will take no notice at all...why should she? agencies are the 'law' now so what can she do ...repeal it?

I am very surprised that what was called and widely advertised as a 'Cms meeting' turns out to be anything but that....while I can understand 4Children being there to 'support' the agencies because we know they have a vested interest in them ...why Morton Michel? ...or is that a silly question? .....the mind boggles! but better keep our thoughts to ourselves at the minute...after 2 years of silence what is the rush eh?

I am off to look for some news now ...

Mouse
26-03-2014, 09:09 AM
Were Trio, 4Children & Early Years Training Enterprise on the original list of participants?

My suspicious mind wonders if that was why the previous meeting was postponed, so that Truss had time to get some allies involved as well?

I also wonder how much of a pure fact finding mission it was for these agencies. They should now have a very clear understanding of what cms objections and concerns are. That'll give them just enough time to work out how to address those objections before they release details of how agencies will work. They're going to be able to make agencies sound very attractive if they know what, and what not, to include :panic:

You can't help but wonder if we're doing half their job for them by sharing our concerns, while they're sharing absolutely nothing with us.

Simona
26-03-2014, 09:26 AM
Were Trio, 4Children & Early Years Training Enterprise on the original list of participants?

My suspicious mind wonders if that was why the previous meeting was postponed, so that Truss had time to get some allies involved as well?

I also wonder how much of a pure fact finding mission it was for these agencies. They should now have a very clear understanding of what cms objections and concerns are. That'll give them just enough time to work out how to address those objections before they release details of how agencies will work. They're going to be able to make agencies sound very attractive if they know what, and what not, to include :panic:

You can't help but wonder if we're doing half their job for them by sharing our concerns, while they're sharing absolutely nothing with us.

I totally agree with you Mouse...in our letters, emails and lots of discussions we have raised concerns but also given them plenty to think about as to what cms need from an agency...all that has been taken into consideration I am sure

In the end I decided not to respond to the Agency consultation and give them ideas on how they should be inspected...I had to think a lot about that but decided I would not contribute...many will disagree but it was my personal decision.

The result of that consultation will show that all our ideas will give them ammunition to build a framework around our advice
...Ofsted should not ask us how to inspect an agency...it should be clear to them what is required of an agency to raise quality and keep children safe....in the same way I think potential agencies should not ask cms what they need from them...if they do not know why set up an agency?

Kiddleywinks
26-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Saw a thread on Facebook last night for what looks like an agency type set up:
£400 for a mock of ofsted inspection
£3950 for a 10 day consultancy

Still haven't stopped laughing ;-)

Edit to add:
Featured Products - Early Years Consultancy (http://www.eyconsultancy.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html)

Mouse
26-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Edit to add:
Featured Products - Early Years Consultancy (http://www.eyconsultancy.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html)

Companies like this already exist and are consultancy firms. They carry out mocksted (mock ofsted) inspections and feed back on how the school, or whatever, can improve. I can't imagine them wanting to enrol childminders and themselves be inspected by Ofsted, but I do wonder if it's something they'll have considered.

Simona
26-03-2014, 12:51 PM

Edit to add:

Where the LAs are not able to support us anymore ...or they will at a cost...others are ready to jump in and look for cms to get business from...at a huge cost
How all this is going to lower costs beats me....

It is amazing that consultancies have to come and do a 'mock inspection'...what will that achieve unless inspections become standard...all guidance followed and inspectors stop passing individual interpretations and judgement
It is another way to get money from anxious providers...if Ofsted would get this sorted no one would need a mock inspection and we would prepare for them with confidence

Kiddleywinks
26-03-2014, 02:49 PM
Companies like this already exist and are consultancy firms. They carry out mocksted (mock ofsted) inspections and feed back on how the school, or whatever, can improve. I can't imagine them wanting to enrol childminders and themselves be inspected by Ofsted, but I do wonder if it's something they'll have considered.

Ah, wasn't aware there were already companies doing this...

Mouse
26-03-2014, 02:56 PM

I only really know about them from teacher friends who have had them in at school, particularly when the school is "failing". One particular school was graded inadequate, so engaged a consultancy firm. They have pretty much torn the school apart & are now attempting to put it back together again. My friend says it os way more stressful than Ofsted!

Simona
26-03-2014, 06:41 PM

If you look at the Ofsted Registered CMs group on LinkedIn you will find something about this in there
It was posted today by a consultancy that does mock inspections and offers support.
That I understand there are plenty more doing this.