PDA

View Full Version : Childminders and vulnerable children - contacts for NW article

PatGordonSmith
24-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I am a journalist writing an article for Nursery World about how childminders work with children who are vulnerable or emotionally insecure. I'm especially keen to talk to childminders who work with nursery or pre-school colleagues to support children who have difficulty coping in one setting, or to those who have found partnership-working difficult in these circumstances. Many thanks, Pat.

PatGordonSmith
25-03-2014, 09:29 AM
I can see lots of folk have looked at this thread but nobody replied. I can understand that childminders would want to maintain their privacy and that of the children they care for. I need not reveal names in an article - or even use your example at all - but would find any information very helpful. Because of the nature of childminding, it's quite difficult for me to find out what's really happening for you out there. This is a time of great change and uncertainty, and I'd like to be able to represent the reality for childminders and the children they care for, especially those children who might be particularly vulnerable. Thank you, Pat.

loocyloo
25-03-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm replying to bump this up. I haven't worked with very vulnerable children but did have children who were classed as vulnerable when they came to me using the 2 yr old funding. Each time I had a chat or 2 with the parent support worker who was supporting the family. Then once child had started with me we would keep in touch.
I think a large part of a supporting vulnerable children is also supporting the rest of the family and maybe sign posting them towards other help if necessary.
I have had children who needed a quiet home from home to build confidence and social skills before going on to school.