PDA

View Full Version : Would you do it and what would you charge?

JCrakers
24-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I've had an enquiry for a child who is starting secondary school in Sept (11yrs) so care would be from 4pm, when he walks to my house until 6pm. I took the phone call last night and should have given a straight no on the phone as I'm pretty full but I was caught off guard... :) It's only for 2 days a week.
But after thinking about it, I cant take anymore children under 8yrs so an older child would be ok.

But I have a few niggles about taking on a child so old. I do have another mindee the same age who probably knows him from school, I'm going to check with mindee tonight as if they are friends it might be easier and they can walk back from school together.
If they don't get on, I will probably say No, as it will cause a disrupted group.

So, would you take on a child at 11yrs and if so would you charge from when he arrives here at 4pm (which would be £7) or a flat fee? I won't be responsible for him before he arrives here so I would need to explain that to parents. I might do a rate of 3hr minimum which is £10.50.

But, I'm thinking that I cant say Yes just because his friend comes here because what if I say Yes and then mindee changes his days or stops coming. Why is everything so difficult :mad:

tess1981
24-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I would get parents to sign a form saying you are only responsible for the child once they arrive at your house and would charge however you feel best it's only 2 hours but you will Need provide a snack I would charge the min £10.50 if it was me... older ones are also harder to entertain and more to feed

jennyandchris
24-03-2014, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't take on a child at that age (especially a boy) as they havent grown up with you, they will most likely find it uncomfortable being in your home with the younger children.
But if you do want the extra income and think they will keep each other company - its convenient if you cant take any more under 8's on, but I would charge a flat fee, and get parents to sign, saying they understand that you are not responsible for him until in your home.

lilac_dragon
24-03-2014, 06:59 PM
You haven't said- but will this child also come in the school holidays?
That's when it can become REALLY difficult!

tigwig
24-03-2014, 08:55 PM
I did exactly this with an 11yr old girl. Ended up being a nightmare! She was sickly sweet to my face then when she thought I couldn't hear she would glare at the lo's to shut up so she could watch tv. She annoyed my dd who was then 8 and had a full sandwich, crisps and still wanted more and only for £10 per week as it was just 1 day. I gave notice in end as it wasnt worth the stress.

yummyripples
24-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I wouldn't take on an unknown high school child.
Once they get to high school they learn soooooo much. Not necessarily academic. The language they can come out with can be shocking. I know it can be at any age but.....

singingcactus
25-03-2014, 06:31 AM
I would, and have done in the past. I love teenagers and preteens, they are so much fun.

FussyElmo
25-03-2014, 06:56 AM
I think you need to meet the child and decide from there. In all honestly this is not going to be a long lasting contract as children do outgrow childminders.

I also like this age group and we shouldn't assume that every older child is going to a walking hormonal time bomb :)

tess1981
25-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Agree with meeting the child first... see how you feel about the child it may work out :)

primula
25-03-2014, 07:41 AM
You could always do a trial for a month and see how it goes?