PDA

View Full Version : implications of unregistered childminding?

Rickers83
24-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Apart from the fact it annoys the hell out of me as it took me a year to do training and get set up!!

I have an acquaintance on fb who regularly posts about the lo she looks after, what theyre doing & how much she loves her "job"

not that I'm planning to report her, but if she was found to be doing this what are the implications, aside from tax evasion, no insurance etc

bunyip
24-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Are you talking about unregistered minders who are doing it legally or illegally?

Rickers83
24-03-2014, 09:53 AM
From what I've been told its a cash in hand helping out a mate situation

although I don't have definitive proof of that, but I know theyre not or planning to be properly registered

Simona
24-03-2014, 10:00 AM
At the moment 'unregistered care' can be provided for up to 2 hrs but this will soon change to 3 hrs as per Truss proposals....if I understand it correctly it will be implemented in Sept 2014
There are implications for those who do not register and receive money in return
The only body able to answer these questions would be Ofsted itself

Mouse
24-03-2014, 10:03 AM
Are you sure she is actually doing anything wrong?

Is she being paid?

Does she look after the child/ren for more than 2 hours a day (soon to be 3 hours)?

Is she related to the child/ren?

Is the child/ren over 8 years old?

Does she only provide care in her own home?

Do you know she's not registered as self employed?

Do you know she doesn't have some sort of insurance?

Does she realise she should probably be registered?

There are so many reasons why she might not, technically, be breaking any childcare rules. If she is suspected of not being registered when she should be, I really think very little happens. She would probably be told that she needs to register, but that's likely to be it.

I always think the bigger implications are for the parents - they can't claim tax credits to help with costs, they can't get help with funding, they have nowhere to turn if something goes wrong (who do they complain to?), or if there is a dispute over fees?

bunyip
24-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I agree with Mouse.

Even if it is someone who should, legally, be registered for the type/times of care provided, it is very difficult to prove anything. Ofsted aside, police and social services won't act unless there is any harm involved.

It is very difficult to convince parents of the need to use a registered CM or, indeed, the benefits of doing so. Bear in mind some of us grew up being left with neighbours, 12yo siblings, or a front door key and nothing else!

LG2014
24-03-2014, 10:28 AM
Hi,

Is she working as a childminder or as a nanny? X