PDA

View Full Version : holidays!

playdayz
23-03-2014, 11:22 PM
How many weeks holidays do you all take each year??

buzzy bee
24-03-2014, 06:22 AM
Previously a week at Christmas and tge odd day in between if I had to. But this year I'm having 5 weeks woop woop! Decided at new year that I deserve and need more time off.

Dragonfly
24-03-2014, 07:22 AM
works out to approx 26 days through out the whole year.

playdayz
24-03-2014, 07:24 AM
For the past four years I have only taken two weeks a year and Christmas I work up to Christmas eve have Xmas day an boxing day off then back to work then new years day off an back to work!!!
I have thought about it an workin full time with the kids an then still Doin work related stuff at weekends I need more of a break! Gonna change my contracts to four weeks I think :)
Put in weeks holiday an one parents panicked saying its defo just a week isn't it because am changing shifts that week so dad can have them, because I can't take any holidays she needs all her as she doesn't get many, when I asked how many she said only get four weeks! She works part time! So got me thinking am not a robot I need more time off!

tess1981
24-03-2014, 07:45 AM
I take 26 days off a year. St Patrick day easter Monday and easter Tuesday 2 bank holidays in may 5 days July 6 days August and the rest at Christmas. Keep it the same every year and this is paid time off

tess1981
24-03-2014, 07:47 AM
I need my holidays as by he time it coming close to holiday time I'm exhausted and need the break to come back refreshed. It's demanding dealing with children all day my sanity important to me.

shortstuff
24-03-2014, 08:06 AM
i think i only took about 2 days last year but it was my first year. This year I plan on taking at least 2 weeks.

muffins
24-03-2014, 08:07 AM
I take 5, 1 at Easter, 1 Christmas & 2 in the summer holidays, the other is usedbas odd days when I need them. I've taken my Easter week early this year and am off to center parcs later this morning:clapping:

Kiddleywinks
24-03-2014, 09:13 AM
1 week in April, 2 in the summer and 2 over Christmas

Could really do with a week off each month but don't think parents would be too happy :laughing:

scottishlass
24-03-2014, 09:17 AM
I take a week at Easter, 2 in the summer plus 2 at Christmas. Also have another 3/4 off days I am taking this year for kids birthdays etc! X

kellib
24-03-2014, 09:27 AM
I take 2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in October.

I work term time but I am around in school holidays if parents need me, I'm lucky in that none of them take the mick and only ask me to work holidays if they genuinely can't find anyone else.

I close the 2 weeks over Christmas too, all my parents get these holidays too so if works out well.

I also take odd days or half days if I need them but that's rare.

bunyip
24-03-2014, 09:35 AM
:confused:

Er,

....... what's a holiday? :confused:

rickysmiths
24-03-2014, 09:38 AM
i think i only took about 2 days last year but it was my first year. This year I plan on taking at least 2 weeks.

Goodness me how did you work with so little break?

The government recommend a min of 28 days a year including the 8 BH. You really need a holiday even if you can't afford to go away just a break at hoem to recharge your batteries. Working with children is very demanding.

I take 25 days at half fee and I am paid full fee by the parents whose contracted day falls on a BH. If I am asked to work a BH I charge double fee and triple fee for Christmas and the New Year.

I give my parents all my holiday dates by the end of January each year and I keep 3 or 4 days as 'floating days' to cover funerals or unexpected things and I undertake to give as much notice as possible for these days. If I haven't used them by November I take them in Nov and Dec and have a couple of long weekends. If I had to take more days that my days holiday I wouldn't charge for them.

rickysmiths
24-03-2014, 09:41 AM
I take a week at Easter, 2 weeks in july/Aug a week two of the half terms plus odd days. Most of my parents are off over Christmas/New Year anyway so I work up to Christmas Eve if needed and then return after the New Year.

covgalxxx
24-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Gosh you all work so hard I haven't started yet just waiting on certificate , I have chosen 2 weeks at Xmas, when I was working (home carer)I worked up to Xmas day and back on Boxing Day, I missed my daughter and she missed me not doing stuff or making stuff and I worked over new year, so not doing that again, I decided on 2 week over the summer and a week in the year, I'm not doing bh if they really want me then double pay, think that sounds fair

shortstuff
24-03-2014, 10:00 AM
Goodness me how did you work with so little break?

The government recommend a min of 28 days a year including the 8 BH. You really need a holiday even if you can't afford to go away just a break at hoem to recharge your batteries. Working with children is very demanding.

I do have the BH's off but dont count those as OH is here n hes worse than the LOs lol.

Its also one step up from working 12 hour nights and looking after DS all day too.

amanda1309
24-03-2014, 11:46 AM
I take between 6-7 weeks and all bank holidays :)

smurfette
24-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I take 5, 1 at Easter, 1 Christmas & 2 in the summer holidays, the other is usedbas odd days when I need them. I've taken my Easter week early this year and am off to center parcs later this morning:clapping:

Have a great time!!

cathtee
24-03-2014, 07:38 PM
I take 2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in August unpaid, then all bank hols bar xmas full pay.:thumbsup:

alwaysright
24-03-2014, 08:20 PM
i take 20 days at half pay plus i dont work any bank holidays, i normally take 2 days february half term, 3 days at easter, 2 weeks in august then a week at christmas

auntie lisa
24-03-2014, 08:37 PM
I take Christmas day and New years day off and 3days in March and 5days in September.

kaz26
24-03-2014, 08:39 PM
I take 3 weeks :)

rickysmiths
24-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I take Christmas day and New years day off and 3days in March and 5days in September.

I'm sorry but that is nuts. You need a proper break. 8 days a year is not enough and I bet all your parents have at least 5 weeks. No one will thank you in the end for working without a break.

Min wage people have 28 days a year. 20 days plus the 8 BH and I believe we should all follow that model as a min.

LauraS
24-03-2014, 09:29 PM
I took no holiday in my first year, registered end of June but was saving my holiday for a big holiday we had planned in the following august. I took four weeks off for that all in one go.

This year I am taking five weeks, one in May, two August, one October, couple of days at Christmas and a couple of long weekends.

I used to work for a local authority and used to work flexibly and get potentially nine weeks a year inc bank holidays plus a further five days per year paid parental leave to cover childrens illness, so am still struggling with five weeks. I miss being able to book an afternoon off at a moments notice if fed up or if I need to get something done.

Nicadooby
25-03-2014, 06:12 AM
I don't take much either as I'd prefer the money lol

The Christmas just gone was the first time I charged whilst being closed from 24th dec until 2nd January.

I had 3 days off in August, 5 days in April and a day to move in November last year all unpaid.

This year I will be have Xmas off (paid) a week in may (unpaid) and what ever else I want, I don't put how many days in my contracts just if I'm off I don't get paid so I can be off as much as I like :-)

rickysmiths
25-03-2014, 09:25 AM
I don't take much either as I'd prefer the money lol

The Christmas just gone was the first time I charged whilst being closed from 24th dec until 2nd January.

I had 3 days off in August, 5 days in April and a day to move in November last year all unpaid.

This year I will be have Xmas off (paid) a week in may (unpaid) and what ever else I want, I don't put how many days in my contracts just if I'm off I don't get paid so I can be off as much as I like :-)

I think my parents would find it hard to plan if I didn't tell them when I was going to be off. It doesn't matter if you charge when you are off or not parents still have to plan what to do with their children when you can't care for them. Do they take holiday at the same time, do they have to arrange for family to come and stay? This is why I always tell them the main holidays in Jan each year.

tess1981
25-03-2014, 10:40 AM
All parents get a copy of my yearly holiday list when they are getting the contracts. I issue a new list every January and give them to parents after the Christmas break so they know for the entire year when I am off. I charge when I am off 26 days if I have to close for any other reason eg funeral wedding I do not charge and it is rare I have to do this... think I might have had to do it once.