PDA

View Full Version : Reins?

clare83
23-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Have mindee 16 mo. If not strapped in a buggy or high chair then he is off....and is quick too. This is fine when at home as setting is risk assessed ect but when we are out and about I want to encourage him to walk but won't hold hand or cooperate. Would you try reins with this child? I am really unsure....

Emra81
23-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Definitely! I have all my walkers on reins right from when the youngest started with me at 16 months up to the oldest who is now 32 months.....my job is to keep them safe and the only way I can guarantee this (especially when I'm always pushing at least a single buggy, often a double) is to have them on reins as they're all flight risks on one level or another. We walk past some fairly busy roads and they're so used to wearing them now, they don't bat an eyelid.

Smiley
23-03-2014, 08:49 PM
I have always used them from a very early age and children accept them and actually lift their arms to have them put on. Many of my parents have gone on to use them too.

Daisy1956
23-03-2014, 08:50 PM
When I am out and about all young children wear reins. I prefer to be safe and young children are very unpredictable.

loocyloo
23-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Mine wear reins from walking to until about 3 yrs ... depending on the 'flight risk' :-)

covgalxxx
23-03-2014, 09:28 PM
my daughter is 15 months and she wears reins, she is a little monster, we went to the park saturday and i let her carrying on walking to go home, she wanted to walk the other way or walk into the duck pond, without her reins she would of been gone, she went to have a paddy and drop so she was spinning on the reins, after that back into the pushchair, so what everyone says as soons as they are walking out reins until 3, have fun...

MessybutHappy
23-03-2014, 10:52 PM
If you aren't keen on reins, how about a backpack that has a parent handle? Many people find them less harnessy - although they do exactly the same thing - the children don't seem to mind them either, Little Life I think, useful to store a pack of tissues too!!!

Jiorjiina
23-03-2014, 11:12 PM
If you aren't keen on reins, how about a backpack that has a parent handle? Many people find them less harnessy - although they do exactly the same thing - the children don't seem to mind them either, Little Life I think, useful to store a pack of tissues too!!!

I use a couple of different versions of these (http://www.tesco.com/direct/goldbug-harness-buddy-giraffe/212-9817.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=212-9817&sc_cmp=pcp_GSF_Car%20Seats%20%26%20Carriers_212-9817kpid=212-9817&sc_cmp=ppc_g_{keyword}_{matchtype}). The kids love them, and have been known to wear them around the house even when we aren't going out! Also I get loads of people asking me where I got them, which is a nice change because when I tried reins I basically got a load of dodgy looks. I have no idea what the difference is, but it makes me feel a heck of a lot better about using them.

shortstuff
23-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I like the little backpack too. You can put a reward sticker in there for when they walk nicely by your side. They also carry their own water bottle in the warmer weather so there is always a drink available without me having extra to carry :-)

hectors house
24-03-2014, 07:38 AM
I unclip one side of the strap from the reins and tie it to the buggy handle - this means I can still use both hands to push the buggy obviously but to do things like wipe noses, put back on hats, open shop doors, hold 2 dogs, without having rein straps and a toddler attached. Also often the straps are quite short, by tying reins to buggy it means the children have a little more room and I don't run them over with the buggy so often! :D

loocyloo
24-03-2014, 08:23 AM
I unclip one side of the strap from the reins and tie it to the buggy handle - this means I can still use both hands to push the buggy obviously but to do things like wipe noses, put back on hats, open shop doors, hold 2 dogs, without having rein straps and a toddler attached. Also often the straps are quite short, by tying reins to buggy it means the children have a little more room and I don't run them over with the buggy so often! :D

I have 'magic straps' on my buggy handle. A bit like a dog lead with the handle at the end for the children to hold on to. I find they hold on and walk really nicely and even the Schoolies like to hold them! It also means they aren't falling under my wheels.

amyp
24-03-2014, 08:46 AM
They sell buggy straps at the pound shop x

smurfette
24-03-2014, 09:05 AM
They sell buggy straps at the pound shop x

Yes this is what I got.. They are actually walking wrist straps but I don't strap them to kids just loop them around buggy handle and leave them the round part to hold onto.. Have one on each side of buggy. If I have three out and about, I either have two in buggy and take turns walking holding the strap or have three walking and they all hold hands. I have built up to this from
When they were first walking, I have six under three and on any day when I have any three can now do this. Means I have two hands to hold buggy and they don't get feet under wheels. Have never used reins but do if you feel it would work better for you, better safe than sorry for a runner!

hectors house
24-03-2014, 09:17 AM
I have 'magic straps' on my buggy handle. A bit like a dog lead with the handle at the end for the children to hold on to. I find they hold on and walk really nicely and even the Schoolies like to hold them! It also means they aren't falling under my wheels.

I often ask the older ones who aren't on reins to hold onto my backback straps hanging on the buggy when we have busy road to cross.

clare83
24-03-2014, 07:27 PM
Have today been to buy reins. Had some little life back back on sale so I got one of those instead. It's a Nemo fish :-). Told dad at collection what I had bought for his son to use. He smiled and said 'yes we used reins at the weekend and he was just swinging in the air' lol

Mrsh3103
24-03-2014, 07:49 PM
I use the little life back packs. The kids love them. I also have wrist straps looped around the buggy handles for them them to hold. I loop the strap from the pack pack round my wrist then they hold the strap on the pushchair. Once I trust them enough to walk nicely and hold on I stop using the back pack :)

greanan
24-03-2014, 08:04 PM
I've used the goldbug animal backpacks with reins before

kaz26
24-03-2014, 08:43 PM
I use them with younger children better to keep them safe x