PDA

View Full Version : Incapacitated DH

Tealady
23-03-2014, 02:37 PM
DH has Osteoarthritis of the hip. Whilst it hasn't been too bad it seems to have finally given out on Friday.

Suffice to say DH is laid up as he can barely move without being in excruciating pain. Looks like he will be off next week, and then possibly longer. He can just about hobble around when bodily functions necessitate but apart from that he is pretty immobile. At the moment I don't think I will have to close but I suppose I might need to attend some appointments with him or if caring for him means I can't care for the mindees sufficiently.

Would you advise parents of the fact that he is going to be here, that he will need a little looking after, and that I may have to close on occasion if he needs me?

moggy
23-03-2014, 03:40 PM
No, I would say nothing at the moment. I'd just let them know when they drop off child as part of general conversation.

Telling them you 'might have to close... possibly... sometime' is not information they can do anything with anyway, but you could mention it as part of conversation when dropping off.

The fact you will be 'looking after him too' is also information that a parent can do nothing with- until you know if you can cope or not it is just an unknown thing and best just see how it goes. Might be fine.

hectors house
23-03-2014, 04:50 PM
I would just warn all parents when they drop off this week that he is home and that you may need to take him for doctors/hospital appointments but that you will try to make them (if you get any choice) for first thing in morning or late in afternoon, rather than middle of the day, and you will give the parents as much notice of any disruption as you can. Hope he is out of pain and feeling better soon.

sarah707
23-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Hugs xx

Get him to the doctor for a pain relief check-up - make sure he is taking the right meds at the right times to keep the pain as dulled as possible

I wouldn't tell parents because you can't tell them anything.

I am questioning whether you need to tell Ofsted that he will be in the house full time. I think you do... I'd ring them and ask xx

Tealady
25-03-2014, 10:26 AM
Good news is it's not his hip. Bad news is it's his lower back. He's been signed off sick for two weeks. He's got pain relief but it's not helping much and awaiting urgent physio.

I was a bit unsure as to why Ofsted would want to know as this is his home and he is CRB'd. I rang them anyway and they confirmed I was right, but I'd rather have checked than not done something I should.

Anyway I'm feeling shattered today so we are having a free play day.

Onwards and upwards.

primula
25-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Hope he is soon up and feeling better.:group hug:

shortstuff
25-03-2014, 02:32 PM
I wish him a speedy recovery, back pain is so awful.