PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! Continuity of care :-/

Rachel23
21-03-2014, 07:59 PM
Hello everyone! After a bit if advise as my head is a bit fuzzy with continuity of care!

I have signed up twins to do one morning term time only.I will collect them from mum at school. This is starting in April.

My 3yr old son goes to preschool 9-3:30 at the same school on a Friday so once I have the twins at 8:55 I will take my son to school.

I have a 18month old arrive at 11am and then the twins will go at 12.30. Theoretically I am over ratio by 1 for 1hr 15mins while I have three at home and my son is in preschool. My partner is self employed and can collect and keep our son and have sole responsibility if he were ever poorly etc.

I had an enquiry yesterday for 4 days Monday to Thursday and have space to do this but the twins mum approached me this morning to have the girls for an extra day.

This is where I am confused as if I took on this new child it would take me to 4 on a Wednesday. (Twins, my son who will be at home and new lo) With continuity of care does this mean I can't offer the twins an extra day or I can't take on the new child who wants 4 days as it's new business or can I have them all because it's extending care of children I will already care for. I thought twins counted as continuity of care but after reading recent posts I'm confused! Help! I don't want to say yes and then find out I'm in the wrong!

FussyElmo
21-03-2014, 08:41 PM
First thing first you are over your numbers even if your partner is at home. Unless he is registered as your assistant. remember it is you who is registered so your son always counts in your numbers.

Second you cant take on the new enquiry if the twins mum wants the day as you again will be over numbers.

Rick
21-03-2014, 08:42 PM
First thing first you are over your numbers even if your partner is at home. Unless he is registered as your assistant. remember it is you who is registered so your son always counts in your numbers.

Second you can take on the new enquiry if the twins mum wants the day as you again will be over numbers.

You mean can't :D

munch149
21-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I know it's right but think its stupid that your own child counts in your numbers when oh at home. I get that it should count in numbers overall as it's a space issue but if there not your responsibility then that should be fine. What if you had shared custody and they were with dad on certain days would they still count in your numbers when with dad then???

Rick
21-03-2014, 09:53 PM
I know it's right but think its stupid that your own child counts in your numbers when oh at home. I get that it should count in numbers overall as it's a space issue but if there not your responsibility then that should be fine. What if you had shared custody and they were with dad on certain days would they still count in your numbers when with dad then???

Yes they are still your child even if with another parent.

Rachel23
21-03-2014, 10:20 PM
First thing first you are over your numbers even if your partner is at home. Unless he is registered as your assistant. remember it is you who is registered so your son always counts in your numbers. Second you cant take on the new enquiry if the twins mum wants the day as you again will be over numbers.

Thank you :-)

My partner is registered as my assistant. This was done when I registered although he has never minded the children. We registered him incase their was ever an emergancy. His office is 10mins from where we live so he could be here quickly (god forbid anything ever happened to anyone)

Thanks for clarifying it for me. Couldn't get my head round it x

munch149
22-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Yes they are still your child even if with another parent.

Yes but realistically there not your responsibility in that time. A father with joint custody shouldn't send them home if sick or something. And with nursery if they were sent home ill you would have to close anyway.

I'm not arguing the legalities, I'm arguing the justification for it

FussyElmo
22-03-2014, 06:56 AM
Thank you :-)

My partner is registered as my assistant. This was done when I registered although he has never minded the children. We registered him incase their was ever an emergancy. His office is 10mins from where we live so he could be here quickly (god forbid anything ever happened to anyone)

Thanks for clarifying it for me. Couldn't get my head round it x

is your partner at home when you have the twins, 18 month and your son at preschool? Because you have effectively increased your numbers to 4 without any exceptional circumstances being involved. An inspector could deem you as still over minding because your son always counts in your numbers :(

Ofsted seem to be coming down quite heavily on people having 4 under 5 and them not agreeing about the variation :(

Rachel23
22-03-2014, 07:39 AM
is your partner at home when you have the twins, 18 month and your son at preschool? Because you have effectively increased your numbers to 4 without any exceptional circumstances being involved. An inspector could deem you as still over minding because your son always counts in your numbers :( Ofsted seem to be coming down quite heavily on people having 4 under 5 and them not agreeing about the variation :(

No he wouldn't be unless he was needed here due to sickness etc. It looks like I'm going to have to terminate my contract with the twins doesn't it :-( I feel terrible as I thought if you has twins you were able to have 4 little ones. I might call Ofsted on Monday and see what they say about it

Thanks for your help xxxxxx

natlou82
22-03-2014, 07:54 AM
Sorry I'm newly registered and this post confuses me, I am trying to understand why the lady's son counts in her numbers whilst at preschool. Surely as she is not responsible for him at that time he doesn't count. I just wanted to get it clear so I don't make a mistake. Sorry for gate crashing a little here :-)

FussyElmo
22-03-2014, 07:59 AM
No he wouldn't be unless he was needed here due to sickness etc. It looks like I'm going to have to terminate my contract with the twins doesn't it :-( I feel terrible as I thought if you has twins you were able to have 4 little ones. I might call Ofsted on Monday and see what they say about it

Thanks for your help xxxxxx

No to take twins on you have to have 2 spaces :(

FussyElmo
22-03-2014, 08:02 AM
Sorry I'm newly registered and this post confuses me, I am trying to understand why the lady's son counts in her numbers whilst at preschool. Surely as she is not responsible for him at that time he doesn't count. I just wanted to get it clear so I don't make a mistake. Sorry for gate crashing a little here :-)

Your children always count in your numbers. What if preschool has to shut or your child is ill?

When you are registered your children always reduce your ratios. So in this case Rachel has a 3yo son. so she only has space for 2 under 5's. Regardless of the fact her son is at preschool she still only has 2 spaces.

natlou82
22-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Thankyou for clearing that up, makes sense now. Making sure I've got my head around it all lol x

alex__17
22-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Your children always count, as if they were ill and sent home from preschool or preschool only runs term time they'd be home with you. Even if they are with another parent if relative, if the parent/relative was too ill to care for them they'd be sent back to you so you could go over numbers at any time, that's how I understood it anyway!

LG2014
22-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Hi,

My daughter has just turned 4 and is in Nursery in mornings til Sept when she will start Reception and I have a 11 month old son who will be 1 in two weeks.

Am I right thinking once registered I can only have one mindee at any one time under age of 5? X

benandjerrys
22-03-2014, 11:19 AM
LG2014

Yes that's right until she starts reception class for ten sessions a week then you will have 2 spaces for under fives and two spaces for fives to eights.

LG2014
22-03-2014, 11:29 AM
LG2014

Yes that's right until she starts reception class for ten sessions a week then you will have 2 spaces for under fives and two spaces for fives to eights.

Hi thanks for that. So until she starts reception I can have one child under 5 and two 5-8s? X

benandjerrys
22-03-2014, 02:08 PM
From now till September you can have one under five and three 5-8s. Come September your eldest child will take up one of the 5-8 places instead of the 0-5 places if that makes sense?

tulip0803
22-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Hi thanks for that. So until she starts reception I can have one child under 5 and two 5-8s? X

Another point - When she starts reception she cannot be classed as 5 until she is attending all day 9-3 or whatever the school day is - some schools have staggered starts (1/2 days, then till after lunch before they start full-time)

You could have 3 5-8s now but unless one turned 8 before your DD starts school you would have to give notice to one to free up her EY space if you see what I mean. I would keep one 5-8 space vacant for her ready to move into.

I have so many going up to school in the next 18 months that I am not taking on any more schoolies otherwise I will fill my 0-5 spaces with schoolies too when they start or have to start giving notice to mindees - lots of planning involved in childminding and not just activities!

LG2014
22-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Thank you both that has cleared it up!

In Sept she will be doing 9-3 Monday to Friday so will definitely leave one space free for her.

So from now til Sept I can have:

1 child under 5
3 children 5-8 (ideally 2 to leave space for my daughter for Sept)

Then Sept my daughter be classed as ae being 'raising fives' so..

In Sept I can have -

2 children under 5 (and my son)
2 children 5-8 (and daughter)

That makes it much easier now! X