PDA

View Full Version : Mindee Stressed Out About Baby Sibling

Jiorjiina
21-03-2014, 12:17 AM
Mindee is 2 and 1/2, and a very quiet and sensitive little chap (he will apologise to other mindees for their bad behaviour!). He is due to get a new brother or sister in the next month, and is just now starting to get anxious about it. His parents have had him involved with the pregnancy from early on, talked to him, read him books about being a big brother, etc, so he's known what was going on and they've tried really hard to help prepare him, but I think the reality is just starting to settle in.

He isn't usually much of a hugger, but in the last week or two he has been very affectionate with me (lots of hugs and kisses, wanting to hold my hand, sit on my knee, etc), and getting increasingly upset about going home at the end of the day (not unusual here generally, but it is for him).

I know this is pretty typical for his age, and I'm sure he will settle down once he realises that the baby is not out to steal all his books (one of his big concerns!), but how can I do to help him cope with his anxiety?

LG2014
21-03-2014, 09:10 AM
Hi,

It sounds like mum and dad have done loads in telling him baby on way and preparing him but think he now needs to know his role that he still special and loved as too much baby talk can make him confused on role he has in family now.

The affection thing is typical behaviour of a child gaining a new sibling - they tend to retreat back a little and want to be babies themselves again as babies are getting attention.

Also being with you means he getting lots of one-on-one where baby talk not dominating the day and where he can be himself.

I would explain to him that baby will get new baby toys and he has his special books that baby won't be able to have.

I wouldn't bring up baby until he does and make sure mum and dad do the same. Lots of games/activities for him to engage his mind and lots of family time before and after baby born where he gets quality time with his parents will help.

You sound like you doing a brill job hun and show how caring you are and that all this little boy needs - he needs to know his feelings are normal. If he brings up subject you could talk about how you felt when you had a new baby sibling (if you have any! ) xx