PDA

View Full Version : coping with chaos!

alex__17
20-03-2014, 07:44 PM
I've been minding about a month, and have 2 sets of siblings on different days and an after schooler the same days so have 3 under 5's including my son plus a 5 year old ffom 3pm.
I feel like everything is so chaotic, is this just because I'm new or am I just unable to keep things under control?!
I prepare food in advance as even warming it up theyre either crowding around me getting in the way (when seconds earlier they'd been fine playing in the garden which I can see from kitchen and keep back door open), and I usually have to shut them in dining room with stair gate but then theyre all hanging off it or just disappear off into the living room where I can't see them.
Another chaotic time is getting shoes and coats on to go out, theyre either running off (little ones under 2) or ignoring me and playing (3/4 year olds)...
I do feel things are becoming easier as we go on, and now they're more settled I feel I can be firmer, so im hoping with time they get used to the routines and things become calmer but does anyone have any tips?!?!
I dread thinga being this crazy for my grading inspection!

chris goodyear
20-03-2014, 08:44 PM
I was like that when I started (25 + years ago!) but I think I was being too nice. Now I'm firmer and what I say goes, put firm boundaries in place and stick to them. I won't be ignored especially if we are going out and getting coats, shoes on, they come when I call them to come and get ready or if I've asked twice I go and get them and tell them in no uncertain terms what is expected of them. Even my 2 year old (mindee)has time out if he needs it and it works but you must stick to what you say. It does get easier and you will enjoy it. Good luck.

alex__17
20-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Thank you, I'm hoping tis just the change from having just my son to gt ready to suddenly 3!

I feel like I'm getting firmer, didn't feel I could be at first when they were upset and crying for mummy all day, but now they're happy and more settled I find myself being stricter.

I think I'll tell them what's expected of them before asking, and try and get tough! It's the mealtimes that really stress me, they go from not being hungry to being starving in seconds, before I've finished warming the food, they eventually sit at the table but then have to wait for it to cool, I've managed to stop most of the jumping down from the table from older ones, had to not allow them to return for rest of dinner or pudding (they got a warning and chose to get up) but then I felt terrible they might go hungry!

Just hope I'm more organised for when ofsted visit, sometimes it's all good and calm, sometimes it's just a free for all haha, I have to say I do love it though, so exhausting but such an interesting fun day :-)

sarah707
20-03-2014, 09:57 PM
You will learn to manage things - it comes with time and experience I suppose.

We don't have chaos because I very much take control and even the little ones learn the order I do things, who needs to wait, where to sit while they wait etc...

Think through the flash points and try different ways of organising yourself. Big hugs xx

tess1981
21-03-2014, 07:55 AM
I try cook in advance so when it comes to heating up dinner all children are told to sit at the table or put in high chairs so I not tripping over everyone :)

primula
23-03-2014, 12:34 AM
I put the younger one in the highchair with something to amuse her while I am in the kitchen the older ones know not to come in if I am cooking, they pick this up quite young really, or I will let them do an activity drawing or playdough while I cook lunch. I don't do a big tea just snacks, sandwiches etc. so its just lunchtimes!