PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

Kaybeaa
20-03-2014, 01:02 PM
A current mindee of mine is leaving in September so from then I'll have an EYFS space for weds and thurs. I've had quite a lot of enquiries lately and one a month or so ago was for September for a toddler on Thursday afternoon and her older brother a school drop off and pick up. When the lady called me I explained that id be able to accommodate her and would put her first on the waiting list for September (even though I wasn't keen on the school pick up as am trying to avoid those where possible.)
Anyway today at toddler group I met a lady who wants 2 full days weds and thurs from September for her little boy (which would basically replace the child whose leaving) and the best thing is, it's term time only which is great for me as my other remaining children are term time.

Trouble is I've sort of promised this other lady a space now and she was getting back to me in April. However she's not seen my setting yet or even discussed anything like a retainer with me so would it be really bad of me to give the space to this lady today? And if so, how do I go about letting the 1st lady down? Don't want to get a reputation?!

shortstuff
20-03-2014, 01:30 PM
I would let her know your circumstances have changed and there is a possibility you wont be in a position to commit to her in September. You are giving her plenty of time to make alternative arrangements.

unalindura77
20-03-2014, 01:44 PM
I would let her know your circumstances have changed and there is a possibility you wont be in a position to commit to her in September. You are giving her plenty of time to make alternative arrangements.

As she hasn't been to your setting, discussed fees, signed a contract etc and has not given you a retainer definitely say your circumstances have changed and you can no longer offer the place. That's what I'd do anyway....

I've let around 3 sets of parents down, my DO said be careful about the reasons for doing so, but I am so so glad I did so don't worry about that, you didn't go back on a contract or written agreement.

karen2010
20-03-2014, 02:21 PM
I agree, do what is best for you and your Business, you sound like a lovely person to be worried about it but you have to put yourself first(In a business sense) and what if you saved the space and she went elsewhere anyway? You would be kicking yourself!

Kaybeaa
20-03-2014, 04:35 PM
Thankyou guy for all your advice. I guess I don't need a reason why I can't offer her a space. Guess I'm just putting myself in her shoes but yes it definitely makes more sense on a business level!!

redtiger21
20-03-2014, 05:09 PM
This is exactly what I started a thread on a few days ago! I had a parent (in my case a parent of a child already in my care), looking for an additional space on another day, I said I'd let her know when one became available. However, a much more financially sustainable "bid" for the space was made (I.e. full time, longer hours, all yr round), also by an existing parent, so I had to let the first parent down. Although nothing had been signed, no retainer paid or anything, but I still felt bad! Glad I'm not the only one! :) x

Kaybeaa
20-03-2014, 08:52 PM
I remember that thread now! It's so hard trying to do things from a business point of view whilst trying not to upset everyone and give yourself a bad name. End of the day we have to do what's right I guess.

However at pickup time the mum of my full time mindee told me she's pregnant, due in September so will be taking mindee with her. So by a random stroke of bizarre luck it turns out I can accommodate both ladies now. (Albeit shorter hours) strange how things work out isn't it!

smurfette
21-03-2014, 09:31 AM
I remember that thread now! It's so hard trying to do things from a business point of view whilst trying not to upset everyone and give yourself a bad name. End of the day we have to do what's right I guess. However at pickup time the mum of my full time mindee told me she's pregnant, due in September so will be taking mindee with her. So by a random stroke of bizarre luck it turns out I can accommodate both ladies now. (Albeit shorter hours) strange how things work out isn't it!

I have lost count of how many times this kind of thing has happened to me.,
Imagine if you had turned lady away and mum
Who is pregnant didn't tell you Til next week!

Hope it all works out for you and fits well xx