PDA

View Full Version : Shall we change our title?

teacake2
20-03-2014, 09:42 AM
I know it has been discussed before, but I really think we must consider changing our title from Childminder to something else. As from Sept there is the new course Early Years Educator and only certain people can do this i.e. have maths and English at grade c or above, why this in maths is going to help babies I really do not know.
Parents will think people who call themselves Early Years Educators are far superior than "Childminders", why I hear you say, because the Gov have told them so (perhaps not in so many words, but you know what I mean) and that has to be true. A lot of people cannot think for themselves and believe everything they are told, such as in my area, HVs say childminders are not suitable for children, they need to be in nurseries, I made a complaint about one local HV but got no where with it.
So in my humble opinion, to get the recognition we all deserve we need to seriously think about our image. Even PACEY have done this so I am thinking I must be on the right tracks.
In my local newspaper last night it stated that a 19 year old man had thrown a little one into her cot to shut her up and caused untold damage to the little one, thankfully she is recovering well, but the newspaper stated he was her YOU GUESSED IT CHILDMINDER, when in fact he was looking after the child while the mother went out.
I have put the paper right, but they will not publish an apology to Childminders.
Any suggestions for a new title anyone?
Sorry for the long one.
Teacake2

Mouse
20-03-2014, 09:53 AM
It's taken years for us to be called childminders, rather than babysitters, so I don't see that a name change would have much effect - we'd still be known as childminders even if we give ourselves a fancy name.

I cannot imagine parents looking for childcare will be on the search for an Early Years Educator, rather than a childminder. For many that will sound far too formal when what they actually want is home based childcare. The majority know what a childminder is and that that is what they want, so a name change might actually put them off.

Simona
20-03-2014, 10:16 AM
I know it has been discussed before, but I really think we must consider changing our title from Childminder to something else. As from Sept there is the new course Early Years Educator and only certain people can do this i.e. have maths and English at grade c or above, why this in maths is going to help babies I really do not know.
Parents will think people who call themselves Early Years Educators are far superior than "Childminders", why I hear you say, because the Gov have told them so (perhaps not in so many words, but you know what I mean) and that has to be true. A lot of people cannot think for themselves and believe everything they are told, such as in my area, HVs say childminders are not suitable for children, they need to be in nurseries, I made a complaint about one local HV but got no where with it.
So in my humble opinion, to get the recognition we all deserve we need to seriously think about our image. Even PACEY have done this so I am thinking I must be on the right tracks.
In my local newspaper last night it stated that a 19 year old man had thrown a little one into her cot to shut her up and caused untold damage to the little one, thankfully she is recovering well, but the newspaper stated he was her YOU GUESSED IT CHILDMINDER, when in fact he was looking after the child while the mother went out.
I have put the paper right, but they will not publish an apology to Childminders.
Any suggestions for a new title anyone?
Sorry for the long one.
Teacake2

We are 'registered childminders' compared to those who call themselves just CMs...registered has a connection to being regulated and legislated
The same goes for registered nannies and non registered ones

We will always be seen as 'homebased' childcarers, however, as we are part of the EY workforce our remit is that of 'EY education and childcare' providers offering childminding services which include: care, education, overnight care, wraparound care, term time care and holiday care

CMs also distinguish us from preschools and day nurseries and crèches too.

We could reflect this in our websites and cards and when we advertise and in our contracts too
Not sure about anyone else but that is the title reflected in all my paperwork and contract and has been so for the last 5 years when cms were included in the EYFS as 'EY education and childcare' providers

tess1981
20-03-2014, 10:23 AM
I always ensure I tell people I am a registered cm rather than a cm. I'm happy with my title :) a change of name won't change what we do

AliceK
20-03-2014, 10:24 AM
I too always refer to myself as a Registered Childminder.
xxx

hectors house
20-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Yes, I always say "I'm a Ofsted Registered Childminder" - now I'm having to say "Ofsted Registered Independent Childminder" - I do know what Teacake2 is trying to say though, I'm going to a school reunion soon and was wondering how I could "Beef up" my choice of career - after all we all run mini nurseries from our own home, but am thinking that some people may say "oh, just a childminder".

lisbet
20-03-2014, 11:19 AM
I always say that I am a Registered Childminder, but the majority of people I've come across don't know what goes into registering as a childminder and that we work within the same framework as nurseries.

I've always liked the term Early Years Practitioner, which is used in my local authority nursery schools. I think it reflects the mix of knowledge and hands on skills that people working with young children need.

In an ideal world I would like it if CMs and those working in nurseries etc were all known as EY practitioners, the only distinction being whether they were based in a 'family setting' or a 'group setting'.

Can't see it happening, though. :rolleyes:

Mouse
20-03-2014, 11:26 AM
In an ideal world I would like it if CMs and those working in nurseries etc were all known as EY practitioners, the only distinction being whether they were based in a 'family setting' or a 'group setting'.

Can't see it happening, though. :rolleyes:

In practice though parents say where their child goes in terms of childminder, nursery, pre-school. They wouldn't say their child goes to a "EYs practitioner, based in a family setting". I don't see anything wrong with us considering ourselves EYs practioners, but to parents we will always be known as childminders.

FussyElmo
20-03-2014, 11:39 AM
there is someone in our LA who really wants to change the name of childminders as he thinks it does not symbolise the true worth of us,

However I like Mouse said we will always be know as childminders so will a name change really make any difference

buzzy bee
20-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I can see where you're coming from, and I know "early years educator" and "childminder" are the same thing in a sense, but as a parent I would rather send my 1, 2, 3 year old to a "childminder" and know they were going to play all day, than send them to an "early years educator" because to me that would say that they were being "taught" and that isn't what I want for my children when they're so little.

In my own experience parents don't care about paparwork, titles, ofsted etc. They just want their children to be happy and looked after.

lisbet
20-03-2014, 11:54 AM
In practice though parents say where their child goes in terms of childminder, nursery, pre-school. They wouldn't say their child goes to a "EYs practitioner, based in a family setting". I don't see anything wrong with us considering ourselves EYs practioners, but to parents we will always be known as childminders.

I agree :) It would need parents to start saying instead that their child went to a 'home-based setting' or 'group-based setting' to make sense. Hey ho - as long as I can keep doing the job the way I believe it should be done, that'll do me! :laughing:

sing-low
20-03-2014, 01:23 PM
The thing is that 'childminder', even 'registered childminder' (and I must remember to start using the latter title:blush:) doesn't fully describe what we do. 'minding' implies that we just look after children and doesn't cover the wealth of learning opportunities, fun activities, development of a close relationship and hundreds of other things that cms do. But it is a step up from babysitter (again a misnomer - you don't sit on a baby!:panic:). I don't really like 'practitioner' either because it sounds rather cold. But I can't think of a better alternative.

Bluebell
20-03-2014, 02:02 PM
i think it is in the way we portray ourselves - i try and say ofsted registered childminder, i try and promote the local childminders as 'professional' 'trained' 'qualified' key words that set us apart from just being babysitters. i try and promote activities that show the kind of thing we do on a daily basis.

many people understand and respect what we do - and some never will - no matter what we do or what we call ourselves.

btw - we can not call ourselves 'early years educator' - this is now the title for anyone taking the new standards from september 2014 (for what was the level 3 childcare diploma)

Simona
20-03-2014, 02:33 PM
Everyone who works in EY is a 'practitioner'...but not everyone is a 'provider'

Preschools, day nurseries and CMs are providers of a service...the people who work in a nursery...the staff are practitioners not providers
The 2 are very different

lisbet
20-03-2014, 02:33 PM
The thing is that 'childminder', even 'registered childminder' (and I must remember to start using the latter title:blush:) doesn't fully describe what we do. 'minding' implies that we just look after children and doesn't cover the wealth of learning opportunities, fun activities, development of a close relationship and hundreds of other things that cms do. But it is a step up from babysitter (again a misnomer - you don't sit on a baby!:panic:). I don't really like 'practitioner' either because it sounds rather cold. But I can't think of a better alternative.

Agree with all this ^ Also think that 'EY Educator' sounds formal and doesn't convey the fundamental caring aspect of the role. (It fits well with Truss' vision for early years though. :rolleyes:)

Still, 'EY EduCarer' would be worse! :p

Glitter
20-03-2014, 06:59 PM
'Early Years Educator' sounds formal, boring and no fun.

'Childminder' sounds cuddly, caring and kind.

If I was a parent looking for childcare I know which of these I would prefer.