PDA

View Full Version : Parent sickness

Bakez66
19-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Hi, need advice quickly please! I have a parent who wants me to have her child for an extra day tomorrow as she is ill . Can I say I can't have him and risk myself and other children getting ill or should I have him as he just has a cold and not a bug :-/???????

Thanks

LJ

LauraS
19-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Parent is ill or the child? Either way tbh I'd probably not want the child if it meant risking catching anything. If the day was contractual you'd have to have the child unless they were significantly unwell, but if it's an extra id just say no can do. No need to give reasons for an extra day.

amylouise867
19-03-2014, 09:27 PM
Hi, need advice quickly please! I have a parent who wants me to have her child for an extra day tomorrow as she is ill . Can I say I can't have him and risk myself and other children getting ill or should I have him as he just has a cold and not a bug :-/??????? Thanks LJ

From what I've read on here from other similar posts and advise

I would say it's up to you as it's not a set paid day.

If it was a set paid day you can't say you won't have him unless he is ill.

I'm sure someone will drop by very soon to give you some concrete sound advise though xxx

Bakez66
19-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Parent is ill or the child? Either way tbh I'd probably not want the child if it meant risking catching anything. If the day was contractual you'd have to have the child unless they were significantly unwell, but if it's an extra id just say no can do. No need to give reasons for an extra day.

The parent is ill and has been since this morning, she wanted me to have him today (my only day off in the week) so I said I can't today. Now she's asked for me to have him tomorrow, he's contracted on a Friday so she will be bringing him then anyway. I don't want any of us to catch anything but I'm now thinking if I can't refuse to have him on Friday were probably all going to get it anyway :-/

Mummits
19-03-2014, 09:55 PM
I would just say you are busy tomorrow. There's no telling whether he's going to get whatever Mum has, and if he's apparently well, I don't see how you can not take him on Friday, but steering clear of him, and possibly of Mum dropping off and collecting, you may reduce your chances of catching the bug. If he does go down with it, he may not be with you on Friday either. If she is unwell, remember to ask her to hand over at the door and try to keep it quick.

Bakez66
19-03-2014, 10:16 PM
I would just say you are busy tomorrow. There's no telling whether he's going to get whatever Mum has, and if he's apparently well, I don't see how you can not take him on Friday, but steering clear of him, and possibly of Mum dropping off and collecting, you may reduce your chances of catching the bug. If he does go down with it, he may not be with you on Friday either. If she is unwell, remember to ask her to hand over at the door and try to keep it quick.

He's very clingy with his mum and me so there's no way of keeping my distance :-/ he's glued to her hip and when he comes to me he screams when I sit him down

bunyip
20-03-2014, 09:18 AM
You can always say "no" to extra hours and there is no obligation to offer any explanation. Why do you feel you need to give an excuse?

With a few rare exceptions, you can only realistically exclude a sick child - not a child who has been in contact with another person who is ill.

Let's be realistic. If we steered clear of every person who has been in contact with another poorly person, none of us would ever set foot in a school playground, toddler group, library, or any other public building..................... or set foot outside our own doors. :p