PDA

View Full Version : Feeling really down

pinklady756
19-03-2014, 02:36 PM
As the title says I'm feeling really down. I have been ill on/off for the past 4 months cough/colds one after the other it seems. Blood tests with the GP revealed borderline under active thyroid which explains everything, no wonder I've been feeling like poo! The trouble is borderline won't be treated and I really don't know how long I can carry on like this :-( I'm tired all the time!! No energy, aching, get worn out and out of breath from the walk to school sometimes, headaches on a daily basis, easily confused/muddled and haven't felt like myself for quite some time.

I thought I was run down with all the colds, but they've gone and I don't feel any better. Finding it really hard. Have a busy setting, working with an assistant and 4-5 lo's and 2 or 3 after school (one lo is very difficult/disruptive) and I'm finding the job so tiring! Very emotional and teary at the moment and don't know what to do.

I would really appreciate any advice/support you might have, anyone else have similar health issues perhaps, how do you cope?

unalindura77
19-03-2014, 03:21 PM
My mum suspects I have this...

I also get very tired. If you keep pushing your GP they will have to keep monitoring it, as it does fluctuate very much so keep asking to be tested and keep complaining.

Keep eating foods to boost your immune system, have some Vit D, some probiotics and eat really well.

I do get paranoid of complaining about aches/pains to the Dr as I think about the health questionnaires in future.

Make sure you get plenty of rest and support, if necessary cut back a bit, if you can.

Sorry don't really know what else to say....except send you a big hug!

unalindura77
19-03-2014, 03:24 PM
With regards to cutting down, (if you have to give notice to disruptive child, if you can't handle him at the moment due to your health) last year I went through a traumatic health problem and promised to put myself first ahead of work. Your health, your wellbeing and your emotional needs are so very important and only you can take steps to care for yourself properly.

Take care of your health and body.

The Juggler
19-03-2014, 03:56 PM
honey, so sorry to hear that.

have a read of this. I sent it to a friend recently (again recently diagnosed). she's got to wait til april for an appointment with consultant. Also even with meds I know it can take a while to get it right so the dosage is OK for you.

Change Lifestyle and Rebalance an Underactive Thyroid (http://www.naturalnews.com/027241_thyroid_food_body.html)

Nikki

blue bear
19-03-2014, 05:48 PM
what can you do to relieve some of the pressure? cut down children, give more responsibility to assistant with learning journeys handovers and diaries, get assistant to do all school runs, change of scenery, cut paperwork to bare minimum, slow cooker meals, do less formal planning and more child led activities, get older children to write the plan for you, offer less choice to the children, that alone can be hard work, rotate toys regularly but have less out. look at how much lifting you are doing, could the children get themselves, in, out or up more if you used a step and allowed more time?

maybe have a chat to someone in the health food shop about a tonic or something to give you an energy boost

its so much harder when you are tired all the time, go back to gp its what they are there for.

k1rstie
19-03-2014, 06:04 PM
The thing with the thyroid is that doctors want you to stay borderline! As soon as you are told yours is under active all your prescriptions are free for ever!

Keep asking to be tested, hopefully you will go over the boundaries.

It is amazing how many people have it. I always have to write my figures down, so that I can compare mine with my mothers! Everyone also likes to compare what doses they are on!

Sending big hugs

benandjerrys
19-03-2014, 07:20 PM
I am 35 and was diagnosed at 30. I'm very nsughty and haven't took my tabs for a year. It's only now I am starting to feel the symptoms coming back , dry skin hands and eye lids swelling, weight gain and feelind down just to mention a few. I need to restart bug every day I forget. Good job I'm not on the pill!

jellytots2912
19-03-2014, 08:40 PM
I have this to and was borderline for a while with no treatment but now on tabs and feel so much better get back to the docs and explain how bad you feel x

pinklady756
19-03-2014, 10:31 PM
Thanks so much for all the support and advice, it really does help to talk about it and get others experiences.

I'm going to try lots of what's been suggested and will def be going back to the gp as I hate feeling like this. Not sure how I tackle parents with regard to wanting to cut back hours/days or possibly giving notice..........if I start talking about health issues, I'm worried that they'll think I just can't cope and is it something I would have to tell Ofsted? I also worry about reputation, my hubby seems to think that word would get around and it wouldn't look good. :panic:

benandjerrys
20-03-2014, 09:27 AM
Have you thought of not having an assistant and just having the three? Or maybe not have the schoolies?

If you feel so drained its not worth it especially if you have your own kids.

Some mornings I feel like u can't even get out of bed and face the day but once I'm up I'm fine.

pinklady756
26-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks to everyone that replied.

I went back to the doctors today, he was very understanding and said that although I'm only just out of the range (TSH test) that he wants to start treatment given my symptoms and I start my medication tomorrow. Hopefully I'll start to feel more like my old self soon.

Do I need to inform Ofsted of my condition/illness and medication?

Thanks

k1rstie
26-03-2014, 09:11 PM
I also get dry hands that burn. I am also so cold at night - but usually okay in the day.

Me and OH have a double quilt each on our king size bed. His is a 4 tog in the winter, and mine is a 12 in the summer, with an extra blanket in the winter.

I also love the thermal socks with the thermal rating. Great for being in the park with the kids, great when freezing in bed with only a 12 tog quilt!

I find the memory part difficult, so write the letter of the week on each of my strips of pills, so I get the correct dose each day.

pinklady756
26-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm finding memory and confusion quite difficult, forget things I'm in the middle of saying, find it hard to concentrate and struggle to find the word I'm looking for - lots of "ummmm what's that word, what do you call it?"

Just not sure if I need to tell Ofsted about Hypothyroid and taking medication, what did you do?

k1rstie
26-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I cannot remember !!!!