PDA

View Full Version : Childminder to nanny

itsybitsyteeny
19-03-2014, 02:05 PM
I am expecting my first child this summer and I am no longer minding (though still registered). I am considering working as a nanny once my little one has arrived and wondered what I need to do to become a nanny? I don't think I will renew my childminding registration as I would like to focus on nannying. Any pointers appreciated x

Ripeberry
19-03-2014, 02:08 PM
Problem is, will anyone take on a Nanny with a baby of their own? They might rather have someone who can give 100% attention to their kids. I think this is why many people become CMs so that they can be home with their own children rather than putting them in nurseries. I would like to be a nanny one day, but not until both my kids are teenagers.

itsybitsyteeny
19-03-2014, 02:12 PM
It is a very good point. I have seen a few ads where parents say they are happy for nanny to bring own child. In some circumstances I think it may be company for their own children so they are okay with it. It might be that I find a nanny role through a friend who I meet at a baby group or similar once my own is born so they won't mind it too much.

Ripeberry
19-03-2014, 02:15 PM
Just make sure you have a watertight contract with your friend and then things should go smoothly :)

itsybitsyteeny
19-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Are nannies required to register with ofsted as childminders are? I thought I saw something about a voluntary register.

samb
19-03-2014, 02:35 PM
I was a nanny before I was a childminder. Like you say, some families want a nanny with their own child so that they can play together - some want them as they are cheaper - often the advertised rate is not including you taking your child to work so bare this in mind. We always agreed rates for my share of the childcare fee so I would get a pay drop for taking my child - like me paying myself for looking after my child if that makes sense. In terms of becoming a nanny, generally they employ you so you don't really "do" anything. You would apply for a job advertised like any other job, go for an interview etc and they offer you employment. If they want an Ofsted registered nanny for the purposes of childcare vouchers then you need to have up to date first aid and apply to Ofsted to be a nanny - it is very simple compared to childminding.

In terms of things to think about when taking your child there...
1. what equipment will you need to take? Will you be able to leave it there or take with you daily? eg highchair for your child
2. will they want you to use your car or theirs - who provides car seats for which car etc? Not all car seats fit all cars so are they going to buy one to put in your car for their child etc?
3. buggies - if both children need to be in a buggy who is prepared to provide and maintain the double buggy and where will it live? eg will they expect you to provide and maintain and keep it at yours and bring daily?
4. broken items in their home from your child - this is so awkward. I had been nannying for the same family for 3 years before having my daughter and bringing her with me. They thought her buckled shoes had scraped their wooden dining chairs. In reality she always took her shoes off at the door and so didn't wear them in there.I was really paranoid about anything she did and after a while realised it was one of their childrens buttons on their trousers scraping and leaving marks but then you are accusing them etc. It can get pretty awkward
5. clubs etc - obviously as they are your boss you don't have as much of a say in clubs etc as you would as childminder. I found my dd used to just sit in the car doing drop offs and collections and having to have picnic teas outside a club whilst we waited etc.
6.make sure you know all of your duites and how you will do them - eg often a nanny will wash and iron the childrens clothes and bedding and tidy the childrens areas, some will cook and clean for the whole family too. Generally I did the ironing etc when my dd was having a nap.
7.pre school and school runs - will your child go to the same school and if not how will you do the school runs?

For me it has made sense to nanny before having children and then childmind once I had my own as now I can decide what we do for my family, I got tired of havig to be there early to get my 2 childrens car seats in their car before I started work and lugging around highchairs, food, toys etc for my own children every day and also doing their housework and then still having to do mine at the weekends. Of course theres not the paperwork or the fact it takes over your home. I was really lucky that I stayed with that family until my youngest was 6 months and their youngest was 4 months (and their eldest 13 years). I think as long as you are both clear about who provides what (especially food and equipment)and what you are responsible for it can work but make sure any issues are brought up or they will fester from either side - it is more intense than childminding when you only have 1 family and are in their home with their rules.

loocyloo
19-03-2014, 02:38 PM
Some nannies register with ofsted so that parents can access childcare vouchers/ etc.

I nannied when ds was a baby, but I had already been with family 4 years and ds became part of the family ( I used to leave him at home with children's dad when I went to do school runs and would always come back to find the dad singing and chatting to him! My bosses are now dds godparents ) I only left as all nanny children were at full time school and they really didn't need me any more!
I did also nanny for another family when ds was 1 but although they said they liked the fact I had a child as it was company etc for their child, it didn't really work. However I think they would have been difficult parents regardless! They were the reason I stopped nannying and started childminding!
Good luck.

JCrakers
19-03-2014, 02:46 PM
I used to nanny and took my son with me when he was around 12m old. At the interview we discussed how it would work and it did work really well. This was in Maidenhead and then we moved house to a different county and I was able to get another job. DS was around 2yrs old and I worked with a family who also had a 2yr old so they became great friends :D

I only worked part time though as full time wouldn't have worked with bathtime and time in our own house. I think I did 3 days 9am-3pm