PDA

View Full Version : Childcare Subsidy and caring for your own children as a Childminder

Patch
19-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Hi

I have been thinking about the implications of yesterdays announcement:

As a provider who also looks after my own children where do my husband and I stand in being able to claim our tax free £2000 for each child?

I currently could not claim it as I do don't charge myself for my own children being cared for.

Or I could start charging myself for their care (but this then has its own implications on my taxable earnings).

Can anyone advise me where I can go to get advice on this?

Hope this makes sense and I am not the only one worrying about it.

Patch

clare83
19-03-2014, 09:21 AM
I can't help with you question but will watch with interest.....:-)

jackie 7
19-03-2014, 12:22 PM
I would be surprised dog we can as we can't claim for funded places any more. And as if will be over a year before coming in and if if comes in we will have to wait and see

Mouse
19-03-2014, 01:29 PM
Hi

I have been thinking about the implications of yesterdays announcement:

As a provider who also looks after my own children where do my husband and I stand in being able to claim our tax free £2000 for each child?

I currently could not claim it as I do don't charge myself for my own children being cared for.

Or I could start charging myself for their care (but this then has its own implications on my taxable earnings).

Can anyone advise me where I can go to get advice on this?

Hope this makes sense and I am not the only one worrying about it.

Patch

I thought the money was for parents who pay for childcare. If you don't pay childcare, you have no need to claim it, or have I missed something?

critch
19-03-2014, 01:41 PM
But our kids are included in our numbers so we can't earn for that place so in theory we are paying for it, I will be watching with interest!

buzzy bee
19-03-2014, 05:24 PM
I wondered this too.

It is only for parents who pay for childcare but as others have said, our children take up spaces so could we pay ourselves?? (Or even better, get our OHs to pay us - ha ha!)

blue bear
19-03-2014, 05:30 PM
the department of education recently stated that care of your own child by the parent cannot legally be claimed as childcare, therefore you cannot claim any benefit or tax relief towards it.